• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!

Oh
I finally thought of one!

Those medal clipboards.Those rock.

TCBF said:
FIELD MESSAGE BOOK
CF 709 (10-80)
7530-21-883-3596

The Military Police notebooks SHOULD be restricted to MP use only.
For what, writing down all the orders for the TIM HORTONS run for all MPs in the unit.

Shirt cold weather, field.  I love this shirt for winter ops, the CSM keeps reminding me that fleece is now in the system, but he has not banned me from wearing it.  At least not yet.

The good old PRC 77 set. Weighed a ton but, unlike many of my old dates, was easy to work in the dark and always put out.  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
The good old PRC 77 set. Weighed a ton but, unlike many of my old dates, was easy to work in the dark and always put out.  ;D

Ahh gee whiz, a radio that actually worked. I used to curse that thing, now I would give a select body part for a couple of those for my PL. 

AN/PRC 77 set AKA prick 77 (as I called it), I miss you.

dangerboy said:
Shirt cold weather, field. 

I'll second that.  The 'wool flannel shirt' was my field smock/patrolling jacket from October through April. 
I look at this piece of kit as the 'original' softshell jacket.  It was warm, yet breathable to allow sweat to evaporate, but the wool was so tightly woven, it was pretty windproof.  Repelled water like a champ, although snow would stick to it a bit. Very quiet, yet abrasion resistant.  Also, it was somewhat fire retardant, and didn't melt if burnt.  If we had an unlimited raw materials budget, I'd love to have a batch of that wool fabric dyed in Cadpat TW and AR and done into a modernized design, i.e. more weatherproof collar, pit zips for ventilation, and better pockets.

daftandbarmy said:

We gave up on them....to erratic for consistency.....

The PRC-25 was the most dependable unit we had, but the atmospherics and batteries could play hell with it, as could the carbon elements in the handsets...

Heh.... still have my old 53 pat Parka.  Full nylon shell on the outside and "borg" lining on the inside made it an easy choice.  Throw it in the washer, throw it in the dryer & you were good to go.  (nogo anywhere near an airfield)

Had many a newwbie come up to me and ask - what country it came from & where they could find one?

geo said:
Heh.... still have my old 53 pat Parka.  Full nylon shell on the outside and "borg" lining on the inside made it an easy choice.  Throw it in the washer, throw it in the dryer & you were good to go.  (nogo anywhere near an airfield)

Had many a newwbie come up to me and ask - what country it came from & where they could find one?

- Parka, Extreme Cold Weather, 1951? I gave mine to a military museum!

Matt_Fisher said:
I'll second that.  The 'wool flannel shirt' was my field smock/patrolling jacket from October through April. 
I look at this piece of kit as the 'original' softshell jacket.  It was warm, yet breathable to allow sweat to evaporate, but the wool was so tightly woven, it was pretty windproof.  Repelled water like a champ, although snow would stick to it a bit. Very quiet, yet abrasion resistant.  Also, it was somewhat fire retardant, and didn't melt if burnt.  If we had an unlimited raw materials budget, I'd love to have a batch of that wool fabric dyed in Cadpat TW and AR and done into a modernized design, i.e. more weatherproof collar, pit zips for ventilation, and better pockets.

Sounds like you've just talked yourself into developing a new product (that might grab the attention of people on this forum).  If they can sell Merino wool shirts for 200 bucks these days, why not a khaki equivalent - eco colours - for at least half that?

- Don't we have enough 'camping gear' now?  When will we start replacing items instead of augmenting them?
- My first winter ex, I had the white 'fishnet' arctic singlet, wool shirt flannel (X2), Sweater hi-neck (khaki), balaclava (khaki), flannel trousers (OG jammies), Windpants X51, Parka 1951, Mitts Arctic C1, TF mitts, AC gloves, Rucksack Universal C2, Sleeping Bag 1951 complete, Mattress Pneumatic, Socks Wool Gray (2 pr), Muckluks complete, Snowshoes (Arnprior MagLine), FN C1, Ration Pack RP-4.

- That was it.

TCBF said:
- Parka, Extreme Cold Weather, 1951? I gave mine to a military museum!
I just use mine for shoveling the walk & keep it in the trunk for trips to the country.
The new parka is "at last" something worth wearing.... :)

421 EME said:
For what, writing down all the orders for the TIM HORTONS run for all MPs in the unit.

Ahh yes...always someone deciding an asinine shot at the MPs is in order.  Hahahaha...funny, and a Timmie's joke too, how original.  Grow up.  ::)

The reason so many MP notebooks hit general circulation was due to a change in the info at the front of the notebook while there were a huge number of them in stock.  Rather than just dump them it was decided to release them for general use and literally pallet loads of them were available for any unit that wanted to pick them up.  I was surprised at how popular they became and it's too bad there isn't a generic notebook that size available. I'd certainly like one that size for day to day use.

Teeps74 said:
Ahh gee whiz, a radio that actually worked. I used to curse that thing, now I would give a select body part for a couple of those for my PL. 

AN/PRC 77 set AKA prick 77 (as I called it), I miss you.

Read somewhere that the British Army's "answer" to TCCCS (which itself, I sometimes think, was the answer to a question no one asked), is called BOWMAN.  It's alleged to stand for "Better Off With Map (or Magellan) and Nokia".

... umm... something about adding all those bells & whistles to a basic radio system comes to mind.

geo said:
Ahhh.... remember the days when you'd prepare your orders on the back of a pack of smokes?
(well yeah it was a pack of 25, king size :warstory: )

OMG.. I remember doing that!

Back