• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!

Halifax Tar said:
I just read an article that I cannot post here that quotes a LCol as saying there are 4000 members in the CAF with 2 more ruck sacks.  The 4000+ surplus to members entitlements rucks sure sound like hoarding to me.

I'd take that with a grain of salt.  I had a guy who couldn't get an aircrew rescue knife because "he still had the one issued to him when he was posted to Ottawa" according to the system.  I explained that the guy had never been to Ottawa let alone posted there...it was then determined to be a computer system error and I was told that this system is sometimes randomly putting things on peoples docs or that people are putting things on the wrong peoples docs.  So, some of the people with 2 rucksacks, according to the system, may be people who had one, returned it and instead of it removing it from their docs, it added it (that happened to me 2 years ago and took some time to sort out as well).

Halifax Tar said:
  Hell we had crates in 12 Stores that were still labeled HMCS Hochelaga, bonus points if you know what that is/was.

Two ships - one sold in 1942 and the other paid off in 1945, or the "third HMCS Hochelaga was a large shore establishment located in Ville de La Salle, near Montréal, Québec, was commissioned October 1, 1955. Its functions were to provide training facilities for the Supply and Secretariat Branch of the Royal Canadian Navy and to be a huge storehouse for naval stores, supplying the 2 coasts and ships of the fleet. With the unification of the Canadian Forces, the base was closed and the school moved to Canadian forces Base Borden, in Ontario."

https://www.canada.ca/en/navy/services/history/ships-histories/hochelaga.html

You are right. Procurement is the problem and the problems we have with the supply system are primarily due to you guys trying to deal with procurement issues.

Halifax Tar said:
I am running a 100% SCA/SLoc verification IAW Change of Command requirements.  This was previously completed in March of this year.  In less than 3 complete months since the last 100% verification I still have counts coming back with massive dollar value differences.  I still have SCA Holders asking why they cant see their holding balances.  I have NSNs that have been counted correct for the last years as suddenly coming up as deficient.

When I first came to this unit our Log O requested a Logistics Compliance Inspection (LRI).  The final report was 22 pages long and 11 of them belonged to Supply/LPO.  The other 11 were split between HR, Finance, and NPF.  It was not a good report, I have 17 months into fixing what is years of neglect and abuse and while we aren't perfect yet we are trending in the right direction.

Even after every member of this unit has had to read and sign the report, I continue to get static and opposition.  Material management isn't sexy.  Its time consuming and monotonous, there is no glory and usually the only feed back is negative.  If you look at the stats of requisitions submitted  V requisitions filled you will see the success rates are there.

Hoarding is a problem with clothing items.  We have the ability too manipulate data in DRMIS to find out who is holding what.  Anything outside of a members SOI(s) can be identified and return action requested.

Do we have a problematic procurement system, 100% yes.  Its restrictive, cumbersome, not designed for a military, and has so much red tape its a bureaucrat's wet dream.  But that is not the Canadian Forces Supply System (CFSS).  That the procurement system.  And while it feeds the CFSS they are not one in the same.  The CFSS is used to managed to the material that is fed into it. 

We are realizing that providing material support to 40 year old airframes is difficult, to put it nicely.  My 2nd ship was HMCS Preserver, we struggled with similar problems.  Hell we had crates in 12 Stores that were still labeled HMCS Hochelaga, bonus points if you know what that is/was.

We have the systems and the policies in place to successfully conduct material management for the CAF.  Actual stores volumes and enforcement of said system and policies it outside the control of the CFSS itself.

Neat factoid for you, our trade name is changing in the fall.  We are going from Supply Technician to Material Management Technician. 

-------------

Time for a thread split ?

Eye In The Sky said:
I'd take that with a grain of salt.  I had a guy who couldn't get an aircrew rescue knife because "he still had the one issued to him when he was posted to Ottawa" according to the system.  I explained that the guy had never been to Ottawa let alone posted there...it was then determined to be a computer system error and I was told that this system is sometimes randomly putting things on peoples docs or that people are putting things on the wrong peoples docs.  So, some of the people with 2 rucksacks, according to the system, may be people who had one, returned it and instead of it removing it from their docs, it added it (that happened to me 2 years ago and took some time to sort out as well).

I really cant comment on your anecdotal example without seeing the transaction history.  Lots of times important details get missed when terminology is converted to laymen terms.  No offence intended in the slightest.  I am sure you could talk me into knots WRT what ever it is you do on an airplane.

Having said that I faith that a LCol who is identified by name in the article was given as accurate as possible data. 

Simian Turner said:
Two ships - one sold in 1942 and the other paid off in 1945, or the "third HMCS Hochelaga was a large shore establishment located in Ville de La Salle, near Montréal, Québec, was commissioned October 1, 1955. Its functions were to provide training facilities for the Supply and Secretariat Branch of the Royal Canadian Navy and to be a huge storehouse for naval stores, supplying the 2 coasts and ships of the fleet. With the unification of the Canadian Forces, the base was closed and the school moved to Canadian forces Base Borden, in Ontario."

https://www.canada.ca/en/navy/services/history/ships-histories/hochelaga.html

Ding ding!  Winner winner chicken dinner!  Of course I was primarily referring to the former RCN Supply Depot and Training facility, bonus points on bonus points for mentioning the former HMC Ships.

Tcm621 said:
You are right. Procurement is the problem and the problems we have with the supply system are primarily due to you guys trying to deal with procurement issues.

And these issues are often times the result of RCN, RCAF and CA command level decisions and directives or outside of the CAF all together.  Think Public Services and Procurement Canada; formerly known as PWGSC.

Just look at the RCN going their own way with NASCAR NCD jackets.  This was all done outside of the CFSS and without approval or involvement of ADM(MAT).  That has turned into a dogs breakfast, with a myriad of jackets with varying styles and amounts of patches.

People hoard because they either have limited ethics or don't trust the supply system to get them replacement kit. I think you'd have a significantly reduced hoarding problem if you could get your full SOI (within reason that some items need to be shipped base to base) without having to argue against the massive whiteboard of "deployment only" items.

PuckChaser said:
People hoard because they either have limited ethics or don't trust the supply system to get them replacement kit. I think you'd have a significantly reduced hoarding problem if you could get your full SOI (within reason that some items need to be shipped base to base) without having to argue against the massive whiteboard of "deployment only" items.

I agree.  So everyone that is over entitlements should be identified and forced to return their surplus kit.  If people fail to produce said kit they should be held financially responsible.  And that recovered funding should be put towards the replacement of clothing and personal issue items.

I actually would like to see us get out of the clothing business altogether and go the American route.  Where you one initial issue for free and the remainder is on your own dime. 

PuckChaser said:

The Supply system doesn't designate something deployment only, the owner of that equipment does so your beef is with the CA, RCN, or RCAF.  If a soldier's SOI says  they get x if they are in y posn and they aren't getting it then yes you have an argument. 

Halifax Tar said:
I am running a 100% SCA/SLoc verification IAW Change of Command requirements.  This was previously completed in March of this year.  In less than 3 complete months since the last 100% verification I still have counts coming back with massive dollar value differences.  I still have SCA Holders asking why they cant see their holding balances.  I have NSNs that have been counted correct for the last years as suddenly coming up as deficient.
-------------

Time for a thread split ?

I would agree!

Halifax Tar said:
I am running a 100% SCA/SLoc verification IAW Change of Command requirements.  This was previously completed in March of this year.  In less than 3 complete months since the last 100% verification I still have counts coming back with massive dollar value differences.  I still have SCA Holders asking why they cant see their holding balances. I have NSNs that have been counted correct for the last years as suddenly coming up as deficient.

Oh no! Are you implying that people at FDU did things in such a way as to avoid doing any actual work and avoid any negative image?! It can't be!

Back to the intent of this thread, those cans of silicone water repellent were very useful, for boots, poncho, rain gear.

Lumber said:
Oh no! Are you implying that people at FDU did things in such a way as to avoid doing any actual work and avoid any negative image?! It can't be!

I have already recommended a thread split. 

Lumber said:

I cant comment on their volume of work,  Im the Snr Sup Tech not a CD, but trying to get things done like SCA verification's is like pulling teeth at times.

But if you ask around you will find that they are busiest unit in the RCN.  True or not, I have no idea.  Im just supposed to make sure they are up to speed on everything Supply.

Halifax Tar said:
I have already recommended a thread split. 

I cant comment on their volume of work,  Im the Snr Sup Tech not a CD, but trying to get things done like SCA verification's is like pulling teeth at times.

But if you ask around you will find that they are busiest unit in the RCN.  True or not, I have no idea.  Im just supposed to make sure they are up to speed on everything Supply.

I'll split the thread when I get homw tonight  8)

Colin P said:
Back to the intent of this thread, those cans of silicone water repellent were very useful, for boots, poncho, rain gear.

And fire starting! A couple of cans came in handy once after a particularly wet night, once upon a time ;)

Colin P said:

I still have a can of that and the boot blackner somewhere in my tool room...

Back