• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Critique my kit

Grunt said:
Ill try moving the patrol packs contents to the ruck and keeping the patrol pack between the frame and the bag.

this is how i do...

hydration pack with nuke bag (with rain gear in it) stuffed between valise and main body

stuffed

tac vest with small pack system utility pouch attached (kept empty unless needed)

Is that the Canadian peacekeeper 3L hydration pack?

Man I really don't like that one. Have one myself. I've seen so many of them break it's not funny. Now I just take my old bladder from a 'stealth' camelback (dont remember the maker) and put it in one of the small pack side pockets and attack it to my ruck ot Tacvest.

Looks like a good spot for the nuke bag. I love the small pack though I find it's a little heavy.
The real trick is finding a way to get other people to start bringing nuke bags too so your not constantly carrying every ones shit for them.

J-Swift,
you rig your tac-vest on your ruck for admin moves, only, right?

lol i just draped it over to take the picture..

also that hydration pack has a 3ll camelback bladder in it, i didnt want to cheap out completly, so i have a good bladder in there.

J-Swift said:
lol i just draped it over to take the picture..
that's a big 10-4, good buddy.

Don't laugh too much, I asked because I've seen it done on advances to contact by units that shall remain nameless.  ::)

paracowboy said:
Don't laugh too much, I asked because I've seen it done on advances to contact by units that shall remain nameless.   ::)

Is that because they are now buried in an unmarked grave?

paracowboy said:
that's a big 10-4, good buddy.

Don't laugh too much, I asked because I've seen it done on advances to contact by units that shall remain nameless.   ::)
are you serious, where is there any sense in that? lol

Someone didn't want to have their webbing rub against their back while humpin' a ruck.
I don't wanna go into it, as there are members here who may get embarrassed for something that isn't their fault. And don't pm me, 'cause I ain't sayin'.

However, if anyone out there gets told to do something that stupid, raise a stink.

Grunt said:
Are the Wiggy's bags dropzone sells good?

nobody answered this so I will.  The Wiggy's bags are the best sleeping bags in the world.  If you want me to go into the multi page essay about why this is true, PM me, if you still care.  I'm not saying that the other bags you can get are absolute crap, but I can give you reasons why the Wiggy's are superior.  But whether it's the built by Drop Zone, Wiggy's in the states, or the Aussie or UK manufacturers, Wiggy's are the S**t.

Making two small additons/reccommendations here:

1) Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Sleeping Pad - Easily the best sleeping pad I've ever used. Bombproof, comfy as hell (due to the Primaloft lining inside), and half the size/weight of the issued one.

2) Outdoor Research drybags & compression sacks -  I have a couple for my rucksack and dufflebag. They come in about eight different sizes.

:dontpanic:

Gunnar, check this out. Seems they do still make them.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441777837&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696655&bmUID=1129580513664

Note the part where it says "Boiling water was still measured at 84 °C after 8 hours at room temperature."  :eek:

Cheers,
Pinky

I'm not too much of a keen kit guy (other than waterproof ruck liners), but for my money the best piece of kit (that I didn't see on your list) is the fleece sleeping bag liner.  It's worth every penny for my money.  I only wish I got more rack in the field so I can use it more.

Extra set of boot laces can and should be substituted with a rolled up length of 550/para cord.  You'll use the para cord alot more than you ever would an extra set of laces and it's a lot easier to use para cord as a lace if need be. 

Thanks for that Pinky.  I suppose I could have searched too...but I was hoping for more direct experience, since advertising copy is...well...advertising copy.

Still, it certainly sounds like it works.  And I'm about due for a new thermos.  We'll see how it goes.

;) Anytime. My experience with MEC has been nothing but positive, and I trust their advice very much. Not many people know this, but they actually guarantee the info/advice on their site and given by their employees. That is, if you read/are told that a certain item is exactly what you need for what you're doing/where you're going and it's not true you can get a full refund.

No, I don't work for MEC  ;D

Cheers,
Pinky

I live by the mantra;

If the queen does not issue it to me - I do not need it.

With the notable exception of;

Snugpak Sleeping bag
Snugpak sleeka coat
Pocket rocket (its a stove you freaks)
Petzl headlamp w/ red filter
Hyperloft camp booties from MEC
Nalgene water bottle
Bigger MEC kit bag for follow up kit.

For the most part, our kit is fine, it seems to be that people supplement it more for LCF than operational necessity. I for one refuse to do the army's job and buy too much of my own kit.

The kit you DO buy though, is tax deductable come march, just claim it and keep the receipts - I have done this for a few years now - and have been audited, but I also claim small amounts - not 2-3000$.

Well, let me throw in my $0.25:

Personal medical kit,(spread between 2 mini utility pockets)
2x Field Dressings
1x triangular bandage, OD
1x handed tourniquit
2x pack quick clot    :eek:
1x scissors
1x tweezers
1x medical tape roll
1x space blanket/rescue blanket
2x pairs latex gloves

You're wasting your time and space with the one handed tourniquet. A triangular used in the spanish whiplass style is more effective and lighter. Add a second to your kit.

And if I ever see you or anyone in the CF (less the specifically trained medical officers and medics) use Quick Clot, I will personally kick their ***.....Get rid of it. It is NOT a good piece of kit, esp in your untrained hands. Its just plain dangerous.

Small pers meds kit
-tylenol
-alchohol wipes
-polysporin
-moleskin
-bandaids
-bandaid blister treatment packs
-latex gloves
-gauze rolls
-gauze pads

No need for gauze rolls and pads. Field dressings do the same thing and are free.

Move your tweezers and scissors here, instead of in your vest.

I can use my ski boot style ratchet tourniquet in a fraction the amount of time I could improvise one out of a triangluar bandage. That's why so many people are carrying them or even wearing them on missions.

As for Quickclot, a burn is going to be least of my worries when using it.  I don't think it's use is so complicated that the average soldier can't handle it. It is general issue from the US military to individuals who are not doctors or medics.

Big Red said:
I can use my ski boot style ratchet tourniquet in a fraction the amount of time I could improvise one out of a triangluar bandage. That's why so many people are carrying them or even wearing them on missions.

As for Quickclot, a burn is going to be least of my worries when using it.   I don't think it's use is so complicated that the average soldier can't handle it. It is general issue from the US military to individuals who are not doctors or medics.

Yes, but you are in Iraq....different context then a reservist from Thunder Bay.

And unless I am mistaken, Quickclot isn't general issue to all, but only trained CLS and medical pers in the US Army.

Back