• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!

garb811 said:
Ahh yes...always someone deciding an asinine shot at the MPs is in order.   Hahahaha...funny, and a Timmie's joke too, how original.  Grow up.  ::)

The reason so many MP notebooks hit general circulation was due to a change in the info at the front of the notebook while there were a huge number of them in stock.  Rather than just dump them it was decided to release them for general use and literally pallet loads of them were available for any unit that wanted to pick them up.  I was surprised at how popular they became and it's too bad there isn't a generic notebook that size available. I'd certainly like one that size for day to day use.

I suppose a supply tech could ask PSTC where to get those nifty MILOBS notebooks (identical to the MP notebooks, just the frontpage stuff is different, and I find very useful).

They are probably only a fin code away for some units.

Re: MP/MILOBS notebooks; I've never seen them before, but would like to know if anybody'd be interested in having a FMP type cover done for them.  If you'd be willing to send me one of each, I'll do up a custom cover for FREE, so that I can get the dimensions.

Redeye said:
Read somewhere that the British Army's "answer" to TCCCS (which itself, I sometimes think, was the answer to a question no one asked), is called BOWMAN.  It's alleged to stand for "Better Off With Map (or Magellan) and Nokia".

I can't find it on Google, but I remember reading a British Army officer commenting on the Clansman radio sytem during the invasion of Iraq, saying "the next country we invade better have Vodafone coverage" or something to that effect.

Matt:

One of the main reasons many folks like these notebooks so much is they fit perfectly into the breast pocket.  Throwing a cover on them would probably negate that.

PatrickO said:
I can't find it on Google, but I remember reading a British Army officer commenting on the Clansman radio sytem during the invasion of Iraq, saying "the next country we invade better have Vodafone coverage" or something to that effect.

I can back up that comment. We had to use USMC radios at one point to get comms with our units after our Clansman sets crapped out on us. With the exception of the 320 set (HF), the rest of the system was seriously flawed. The (non-Clansman) VHF systems we used in NI were excellent though - fully encripted, light and easy to use. Too bad we didn't have anything like them for general use.

I saw a bunch of FMPs that had been sawn in half (making 2 out of 1) to make a bunch of smaller note pads.
They weren,t elegant but, they were about the size of the MP pads & handy in garrison.

After using the fmp cut style ones i found them better then the mp ones as you can remove pages but the down side to it all is it workrd way better with the older ones not the new wire wrao top style ones...

geo said:
I saw a bunch of FMPs that had been sawn in half (making 2 out of 1) to make a bunch of smaller note pads.
They weren,t elegant but, they were about the size of the MP pads & handy in garrison.

So, you're talking about something like this?
http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=41

With a cover like this?
http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=12

Which all fit in the breast pocket of the CF Combat Shirt.

Matt_Fisher said:
So, you're talking about something like this?
http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=41

With a cover like this?
http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=12

Which all fit in the breast pocket of the CF Combat Shirt.

But why should we have to buy them?  If the Army wants us to take notes, then the Army can supply the notebooks.

Haggis said:
But why should we have to buy them?  If the Army wants us to take notes, then the Army can supply the notebooks.

- The Army DOES supply the notebooks.  If we want a different notebook than the Army supplies, we can buy it ourselves.

»Heh.... the ones I saw had just been sawn in half with a band saw.  They look like the ones Matt was showing.... but had been obtained via the supply system

Those new ballistic goggles we got issued in Wainwright.

As well and the new army rain gear,cats rear.

The boot laces.

No kidding, we have great boot laces. Others I have worn actually BREAK, which I've never experienced with our laces.

The laces that came on MkIIIs were indeed excellent - I think they were treated with some sort of wax, because they never seemed to get wet. But I found that the laces on the WWB tended to break on the metal speed lacing loops.

- The laces breaking on my Mk. IIIs broke because the round eyelets began to degrade and their inner seams opened up, thus allowing the metal eyelet edges to saw away at the lace as the boot moved.

- Other than that, worst enemy of combat boot laces was walking across a field littered with TOW missile guidance wire.  That stuff just garrotes bootlaces.

Wowsers daftandbarmy, i had no idea that the CDN's get the lock tother camping KFS! i suguesst nicking a silver table spoon from the Officers Mess and using that for your rats, the contents are still s***, but it tastes much better on a silver spoon!

tankie said:
Wowsers daftandbarmy, i had no idea that the CDN's get the lock tother camping KFS! i suguesst nicking a silver table spoon from the Officers Mess and using that for your rats, the contents are still s***, but it tastes much better on a silver spoon!

A good Officer always borrows his signallers' racing spoon, after a thorough 'lick cleaning' of course. It's hard to get rid of the lovely taste of a nice curry though!

The Mk III boots (with Vibram soles and Spencos  ;D). Both pairs are going strong since basic (over a decade ago). Must have been from a good batch.

Back