• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!

I would have to agree about the combat scarf, I still use my faded and tattered one here, as I do with my 'rubber lady', the 'Uniroyal' air mattress (when it permits, usually use my swag, as it protects one from the creepy crawlie things, and there is lots of them here).

As much as there is lots of negativity about the 1982 Ptrn ruck, it beats the Aussie issued backbreaker we have. I still ue my ruck, although faded beyond a joke, repaired here and ther, including welds to the wire crap frame.

See the pic of my swag, zipped in tight at night, no snakes, no ants, spiders, scorpions, centipeds, disease carrying mosquitos, etc. everyone has got one of these.

Cheers,

Wes

Well, maybe I should look into army surplus next time I want to replace my camping tent
or any camping stuff...

(Title of the thread made me smile, after the passion show in the opposite one)

Wesley  Down Under said:
I would have to agree about the combat scarf, I still use my faded and tattered one here, as I do with my 'rubber lady', the 'Uniroyal' air mattress (when it permits, usually use my swag, as it protects one from the creepy crawlie things, and there is lots of them here).

As much as there is lots of negativity about the 1982 Ptrn ruck, it beats the Aussie issued backbreaker we have. I still ue my ruck, although faded beyond a joke, repaired here and ther, including welds to the wire crap frame.

See the pic of my swag, zipped in tight at night, no snakes, no ants, spiders, scorpions, centipeds, disease carrying mosquitos, etc. everyone has got one of these.

Cheers,

Wes

How does it hold up during a good downpour?

Its water proofed canvas, so it can handle a shower, but on a wet night we have tarps up in an area which will fit several of us, If its a monsoon, no luck, sleep in the cab or the pod, back of a LAV,as there is usually 4-6 inches sitting on the ground - everywhere.

Cheers,

Wes

25mm...
Um that reminds me of another peice of kit which I think is the best thing ever issued.

Leopard 2A6.

25mm that.... ;D

The CF issued (USGI type) cot is amazingly comfortable, although it can be a bear to get it set up.

Another great piece of kit is the mosquitoe headnet.  Goofy looking, but I've got many a good night sleep in bug infested parts by wearing it when I bed down.

Matt_Fisher said:
The CF issued (USGI type) cot is amazingly comfortable, although it can be a bear to get it set up.

Just gotta go to QM and get a crank issued.

Matt_Fisher said:

Another great piece of kit is the mosquitoe headnet.  Goofy looking, but I've got many a good night sleep in bug infested parts by wearing it when I bed down.

- I leave an end bar loose on the cot.  Saves teeth.

- Which serves to remind me of another piece of good kit: The Insect Bar.  Preferably the older ones that allowed you to sit up underneath them.

The two piece Tac Hel Flying suit!

It was hot down here to day and we were doing some load exercises on the C-17. It took the top portion off and worked in my t-shirt while the Yanks, Aussies and Brits looked on in envy.

ArmyVern said:
Ziploc bags ...

Yes, there are indeed ziploc bags in the system that us suppies get to use for packaging etc ...

By far, the best little goodie I've had in the field (well second best -- the best goodie was the polaroid I was holding when a certain Major AJ fell into a latrine during one of those end-ex smokers).  >:D

SOG!!?? -- Is this the very same SOG that was brought into the system for the Field Engineers (and rolled out to all posns within 'entitled' UICs)?? You know -- the SOG with the crimping tool that the engineers aren't allowed to use for crimping (I know plenty who just continue to use their teeth instead due to the "no-crimping with the crimping tool message")??  Just goes to show you that as with every piece of kit --- some love it/some hate it ... and it doesn't always suit the purposes for which it was originally intended.

Any way you can issue me some new teeth Vern?  ;D

ArmyVern said:
Ziploc bags ...

Yes, there are indeed ziploc bags in the system that us suppies get to use for packaging etc ...

By far, the best little goodie I've had in the field (well second best -- the best goodie was the polaroid I was holding when a certain Major AJ fell into a latrine during one of those end-ex smokers).  >:D

SOG!!?? -- Is this the very same SOG that was brought into the system for the Field Engineers (and rolled out to all posns within 'entitled' UICs)?? You know -- the SOG with the crimping tool that the engineers aren't allowed to use for crimping (I know plenty who just continue to use their teeth instead due to the "no-crimping with the crimping tool message")?? Just goes to show you that as with every piece of kit --- some love it/some hate it ... and it doesn't always suit the purposes for which it was originally intended.

No Sapper with even a half decently developed brain stem would ever crimp a det with his teeth.  That would be grounds for a Baillie carrying handle up the jacksie.

Kat Stevens said:
No Sapper with even a half decently developed brain stem would ever crimp a det with his teeth.  That would be grounds for a Baillie carrying handle up the jacksie.

Talk to NFLD ...  ;)

The Silva compass, in mils. Indestructible and accurate (in the right hands, of course). Miles ahead of equivalent compasses issued by other countries.

Know how I got to be an OLD thumperhead?  By never putting a finger anywhere I wouldn't put my dick, and not putting noisy party favours anywhere near the old brain case housing assembly, C1.

Kat Stevens said:
Know how I got to be an OLD thumperhead?  By never putting a finger anywhere I wouldn't put my dick, and not putting noisy party favours anywhere near the old brain case housing assembly, C1.

You're not old, (Vern sucking up) but I get where you're coming from.  ;)

And of course, the folks who issue the kit!

(+1 to Vern, right Vern?  ;) )

Kat Stevens said:
Know how I got to be an OLD thumperhead?  By never putting a finger anywhere I wouldn't put my dick, ...

- Dare I ask, "How do you eat fried chicken?"

;D

CadPat Fleece
ICES clothing
Mukluks
Ballistic Eyewear...how eyes could have been saved? Fovgive my bitterness, but some of the old codgers would freak out at the style, and I daresay some of the currently serving codgers don't care for them......but that's toooooooo bad. They are an issue item.
The C6 GPMG with the Sustained Fire Kit - great on its own and better when used with the other MG....the .50 cal HMG.
The fancey headovers/balacalava.....sometimes too warm, but hey......
The Lav III -

There are more I could name, but I don't want to bore yall!!! :cdn:

Back