• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Critique my kit

Isn't there a disscussion on Quick Clot in the Medical forum?
I'll try and browse to find out.
I was under the understanding that it is only good for superficial wounds.

Ben

Armymedic said:
Yes, but you are in Iraq....different context then a reservist from Thunder Bay.

And unless I am mistaken, Quickclot isn't general issue to all, but only trained CLS and medical pers in the US Army.

Point taken ref. domestic setting.

The Marines included it in each rifleman's issued Individual First Aid Kit. I remember reading that it was reccommended to be used by corpsman or Marines trained in its proper use.

I've seen Army with it but I do not know whether they have a general issue first aid kit that incorporates Quick Clot or similar product.

Found it!

Medical Forum,
Tactical Combat Casualty Care Course

Post #167

here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26415/post-167526.html#msg167526

Infanteer said:
How compressible are they?

For a 6 denier polyester bag, they are quite compressible.  This is due to the Silicone coating on the fibres, which also aids in water repellency.  Basically it will compress quite a bit more than a Polarguard Bag which uses the same basic fibre (the difference lies in how those fibres are treated after manufacture).  But it's not as compressable as a Polarguard 3D bag, whose fibres are half the size.  But they also have half the strength so they don't have the long term durability.  I don't know how they compare to the snugpak products cause I have no first hand knowledge of those bags.  That said, when I put my 2 bag Wiggys Superlight Flexible Temp Range Sleep System, that's comfort rated to -27 Celsius into my valise, it takes up about as much room as 1 piece of the issue bag with a ranger blanket or fleece inner liner inside.  The bivy bag of course takes up as much room as always.

I did some more reading up on Quik Clot on the lightfighter forums and decided to remove the quik clot from my kit.

The only place I woudl consider Quik Clot domestically is hunting North of 60...

Overseas it definetly has a place in the tool kit.

GO!!! said:
I live by the mantra;

If the queen does not issue it to me - I do not need it.

With the notable exception of;

Well, if you have notable exceptios, then I guess your Mantra really doesn't apply then, does it?  ^-^

The' quik clot' issue is a perfect example of the point I was tryng to make about using kitlists you see off the internet forums.

It gets added to many a kitlist without the soldier having any practical knowledge of it.   Kitlists from guys 'in the crap' are great but we reservists etc. need to know what it's for and not that it just sounds good to have.

(And usually then we decide we don't really need it for a range week-end in petawawa or blowing away each other with blanks)

Back