• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I had to do this. Glass half full folks...

C7 and C9. Excellent weapons, and acknowledged as such by armies around the world

CADPAT fleece jacket and pants

The Gerber multi-tool. Awesome. And it's precursor the C5 knife - incomparable...

Thank You Canada!  :-*

I'm not a C9 Advocate but Id have to agree about that fleece top. Number 1 piece of issued field kit. Have you got the issued Gerber or the issued SOG? SOG has got some major crushing power.

- The new goretex Cbt Jackets.
- All of our parkas, except the 1974.
- Thermal underwear.
- Muklucks!
- Windpants.
- The MagLine magnesium/aircraft cable snowshow (And yes, it WILL ignite if placed on a hot stove element).
- The bivy bag.
- The MG C6 (since 1979!)
- The Coleman Lantern and two-burner stove.
- Five and ten-man arctic tents.
- One and two man toboggans.
- All things John Moses Browning!!!

The LAV 3. There's something the army did right.

I like the fact that its wheeled. Without having much experience with tracked vehicles my impression is that the loss of tracked mobility is worth the survivability (will still roll with wheels blown off, but a slipped track is a mobility kill) and the less time spent doing maintenance.

The 25mm Bushmaster is THE Taliban killer in theatre. Its hard to back this one up with statistics, but I think guys most would agree that when you compare small arms, 155, or 105, the 25MM dishes out most of the punishment. These weapons systems have a role and are needed, but IMHO the 25MM is the backbone of the firepower we bring to the table.

The comms are decent. The systems we use arn't perfect, but you can usually get them to work. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I don't think upgrading would be too much of an issue - provided that the money was there.

Plus you can carry the rest of the section in the back. It might be a tight squeeze with all the gear, but welcome to the army - if its not a tight squeeze then you're probably forgetting something behind.

The C9 is IMHO an awsome weapons system. There are better variants of the minimi out there, but it's still a solid LMG.

No one ever complains about the C6, unless you're the guy carrying it. Everyone else in the platoon loves it.

C8FTHB - a few bells and whistles would be nice, but its a great base to build on.

The Parka Shell is the most underrated piece of kit ever issued. Worn with with any combination of the fleece, stealth suit, softie, and polypro for 3 seasons of practical field wear.

Thats it for now...

C6 and C9 should have had the hydralic buffers of their US versions...

I like the SOG tool issue version way better than the Gerber.

The thermos canteen muahahaha... Hot coffee any one?

Ziploc bags ...

Yes, there are indeed ziploc bags in the system that us suppies get to use for packaging etc ...

By far, the best little goodie I've had in the field (well second best -- the best goodie was the polaroid I was holding when a certain Major AJ fell into a latrine during one of those end-ex smokers).  >:D

SOG!!?? -- Is this the very same SOG that was brought into the system for the Field Engineers (and rolled out to all posns within 'entitled' UICs)?? You know -- the SOG with the crimping tool that the engineers aren't allowed to use for crimping (I know plenty who just continue to use their teeth instead due to the "no-crimping with the crimping tool message")?? Just goes to show you that as with every piece of kit --- some love it/some hate it ... and it doesn't always suit the purposes for which it was originally intended.

Size 14 goretex socks, when worn over your duffle socks in your mukluks keep your feet nice and dry in the winter when it get a little wet out.

LWT Balaclava, AKA. Ninja Mask...  GOLD.  Perfect for wearing under helmet, bush cap or even under the winter balaclava for extra comfort. It may not be the "best" piece of kit,  as most of the top pieces have already been mentioned, but I think it's pretty damn good.

KFS... no kidding. Some armies don't even provide them. And ours fits together in a nice little package!

64 Pat Rucksack
Goretex socks
Cdn IMPs

- polypro thermal underwear
- neck gaiter
- mortar gloves
- cadpat leather gloves
- black leather logistik unicorp gloves with wool liner
- cold weather socks
- mucklucks
- arid t-shirt
- bivy bag
- black beauty air mattress
- cadpat camelbak
- goretex windpants
- goretex socks
- canteen, cup and stove

Black beauty air mattress? - Pneumatic air mattress?

The old "Black Betty" air mattress, one prior to the self inflating one.

Lucky if you still have one. Their worth their weight in gold IMHO.

Regards

Pneumatic air mattresses are / were great... xcept when, at half past very late, the plug would pop out & everyone in the tent would wake up & rock back & forth ..... checking to see if it was theirs that had shed it"s plug

agree with mostly everything here except i can honestly say i like the American IMPs allot better their the Canadian ones.

64 pattern ruck sack
Gerber
C9 LMG love this weapon
C8
LAV 3 and the 25 mm to go with it, probably best piece of kit we have
The New gortex rain gear

My old waffle pattern combat scarf - so many things you could do with it!

Anything fleece & anything gortex!

And 'Black Betty' - so multi-functional - air matress, toboggan, whatever....it was great

I would say anything clothing wise is a huge improvement over the crap I was originally issued with all those years ago. How did we survive without a bivbag or gortex? ;) ;D

Back