• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The air cadet thread

Alrighty, I guess we got our Air Cadets aware of this thread, now lets get a topic started. Any suggestions?

Any Albert Head alumni here?

Ex WO1 204 RCACS

Basic 91 - Penhold
JLC 92  - Penhold
JIC 93    - Penhold
SLC 94  - Cold Lake
Staff 95  - Albert Head
Staff 96  - Albert Head
Staff 97  - Albert Head

Why did I join air cadets interesting question eh? Well for me it all boils down to peer pressure oh ya, I run with a tough crowd lol
ps. Are there any other 199 air cadets here besides Cam and I?

Ok    Very Serious question...........

Air Cadet Drill.........

As I sit here looking at the Air Cadet manual of drill, i see standards quite similar to those of the CF...including words of Command......

I look out my office door and see Air cadets doing drill that in no way resembles the drill in the Air Cadet manual....

To wit:

1. The ungainly and robotic marching...i.e.: Micro paces while marching leading to bouncing on feet...

2. Swinging of Arms only to the side of the body...not behind...further exaggerating the bounce and unnatural posturing....and disrupting the rythym of the movement....

3. The pace which is somewhere near Light Infantry (to account for the smaller paces perhaps)

4. "Sing Song" Words of Command, including the counting of movements by troops..............to some standard which seems universal among Air Cadets but which is NOT practiced by the Air Force....(I have been told that it was a Fad that started at a Summer Camp that has since run wild...)

I am curious how this "standard" has been allowed to occurr...especially as it is affecting the other Cadet Orgs .....(Ie It has reared its ugly head in our own Cadet Corps)

CADETS and CIC   types please note that this is NOT an attack on an excellent organization......merely an inquiry into the whys and wherefore's of a very peculiar standard for Drill that does not match that shown in the Air Cadet Drill Book....

As an Instructor and Senior Warrant Officer I am responsible for the drill of my soldiers...including the deprogramming of the ex-Air Cadets among them...(Again, this is in no way an attack in the Cadets.....the former Air Cadets in my unit are very good soldiers...)

This has totally ghasted me flabber....

Can anyone shed light upon this situation?

SB

Steel Badger said:
OK   Very Serious question...........

Air Cadet Drill.........

As I sit here looking at the Air Cadet manual of drill, i see standards quite similar to those of the CF...including words of Command......

I look out my office door and see Air cadets doing drill that in no way resembles the drill in the Air Cadet manual....

To wit:

1. The ungainly and robotic marching...i.e.: Micro paces while marching leading to bouncing on feet...

2. Swinging of Arms only to the side of the body...not behind...further exaggerating the bounce and unnatural posturing....and disrupting the rythym of the movement....

3. The pace which is somewhere near Light Infantry (to account for the smaller paces perhaps)

4. "Sing Song" Words of Command, including the counting of movements by troops..............to some standard which seems universal among Air Cadets but which is NOT practiced by the Air Force....(I have been told that it was a Fad that started at a Summer Camp that has since run wild...)

I am curious how this "standard" has been allowed to occurr...especially as it is affecting the other Cadet Orgs .....(Ie It has reared its ugly head in our own Cadet Corps)

CADETS and CIC   types please note that this is NOT an attack on an excellent organization......merely an inquiry into the whys and wherefore's of a very peculiar standard for Drill that does not match that shown in the Air Cadet Drill Book....

As an Instructor and Senior Warrant Officer I am responsible for the drill of my soldiers...including the deprogramming of the ex-Air Cadets among them...(Again, this is in no way an attack in the Cadets.....the former Air Cadets in my unit are very good soldiers...)

SB

At my squadron they have the drill manual beside them when I'm on parade with our junior drill team. So maybe its just a squadron thing because at my squadron they make sure were doing it right (example, we spent half a parade night practicing our opening march past). I'm not saying my squadron has perfect drill (infact my warrant officers tell us that we have horrible drill).

When you say "Sing Song" commands do you mean calling out the timing?

By sing song  i mean the way in which the Pers is giving orders....

The particular accent..if it is such a thing.......is "singing" the command...
Ie all in one breath and approximating a gregorian chant,,,,,

When I was a cadet .......none of that sort of thing was permitted in any Corps....

SB

Situation:

Me Calling drill: 1188 AH Ten TION!

Singsong:  AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHtennnnnnnnnshunnnnnnnn.  Its long melodious and god up and down.

Steel Badger said:

Air Cadet Drill.........

To wit:

Unfortunately, this ugly beast is indeed quite prevalent.  Some of us refer to it as the "TAG (Toronto Air Group) Bounce", and it often gets reinforced for some reason at the summer training centres.  If this is the way staff cadets were taught at their home sqns, it is unfortunately the way they will teach at the training centres.  Some of us outside of TAG recognize it, but there's only so many of us, and far too many of those who CHOOSE to ignore the 201.  Further proof of why the cadet detachments need to establish Standards Officer positions.

Kyle Burrows said:
Situation:

Me Calling drill: 1188 AH Ten TION!

Singsong:   AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHtennnnnnnnnshunnnnnnnn.   Its long melodious and god up and down.

Some Air Cadets I worked with last summer told me it's an unnofficial standard that the word "wing" is to he held for 7 seconds (I'm sure it's not really a standard .....  just stating what I was informed).

It'll take me a bit but I'll get through it all......

Steel Badger said:

Air Cadet Drill.........

Unfortunatley, many cadets have a hard time with drill, this tends to lead to regional and even squadron differences. Offically we follow the 201(and my unit and the others in the Ottawa wing do near religiously) but variations exist.
Steel Badger said:
To wit:

1. Likely began because the cadets at te front were taking too large steps, causing the cadets at the rear to be near running to keep up. The cadets are then told to "CUT THE PACE!" meaning take smaller steps, many times it ends up being too small.

2. Lazy cadets, lax seniors. All there is too it. The seniors should be emphasing that the arms go "all thge way up and all the way back!"

3. Clarify? What is the light infantry pace? All air cadets should be marching at 120 per minute.

4. Incorrect or no instruction on how to call commands properly. I used to do the same, I was shown how to call commands correctly, never had any more problems with it.

Steel Badger said:

SB
The "standard is prevelent due to cadets not being shown the correct way, and t spreads like a disease. The only way to stop it is to set a standard for all to meet, and enforce it.

yoman said:
At my squadron they have the drill manual beside them when I'm on parade with our junior drill team. So maybe its just a squadron thing because at my squadron they make sure were doing it right (example, we spent half a parade night practicing our opening march past). I'm not saying my squadron has perfect drill (infact my warrant officers tell us that we have horrible drill).

When you say "Sing Song" commands do you mean calling out the timing?
My unit does the same, as I said Ottawa wing follows the 201 to the best of our abilities.

Steel Badger said:
By sing song    i mean the way in which the Pers is giving orders....

The particular accent..if it is such a thing.......is "singing" the command...
Ie all in one breath and approximating a gregorian chant,,,,,

When I was a cadet .......none of that sort of thing was permitted in any Corps....

SB

Common, spread far and wide by staff cadets at CSTC who unfortunately were never shown the correct way and pass the incorrect way on to their flights at camp.

Garbageman said:
Unfortunately, this ugly beast is indeed quite prevalent.   Some of us refer to it as the "TAG (Toronto Air Group) Bounce", and it often gets reinforced for some reason at the summer training centres.   If this is the way staff cadets were taught at their home sqns, it is unfortunately the way they will teach at the training centres.   Some of us outside of TAG recognize it, but there's only so many of us, and far too many of those who CHOOSE to ignore the 201.   Further proof of why the cadet detachments need to establish Standards Officer positions.

Agree totally. At one time I saw an air cadet Sgt whose upper arm stayed in place, he swung his arm forward from the elbow....totally wrong, easy to see, hard to correct since that is what he was used to do. Hopefully he wasn't a drill instructor.....

Zedic_1913 said:
Some Air Cadets I worked with last summer told me it's an unnofficial standard that the word "wing" is to he held for 7 seconds (I'm sure it's not really a standard .....   just stating what I was informed).

Total BS. That's simply not true. However if you listen closely, the Wing Commander should be saying "wang" instead of wing, it goes farther and very few cadets notice it......once again, not official standard but something that is done so that the cadets know you're giuving them a command. If "wing" is used, it sounds like "ing" to the cadets at the back, while "wang", sounds like "wing"......weird eh?

Zedic_1913 said:
Some Air Cadets I worked with last summer told me it's an unnofficial standard that the word "wing" is to he held for 7 seconds (I'm sure it's not really a standard .....  just stating what I was informed).

Whats Air Cadet for I'm a master bull crapper?

Total BS. That's simply not true. However if you listen closely, the Wing Commander should be saying "wang" instead of wing, it goes farther and very few cadets notice it......once again, not official standard but something that is done so that the cadets know you're giuving them a command. If "wing" is used, it sounds like "ing" to the cadets at the back, while "wang", sounds like "wing"......weird eh?

So that's why when the cadets on parade sound like their saying "ing"  instead of "wing" when their issuing commands. Ah well we all know what they mean.

1. Our sqn used to have problems with some of that stuff (we still have a few) but a couple of years ago, we realized what was wrong and tried to fix as much as we could.
2. with the TAG bounce, it's 180's fault haha.
3. and for the sing song, i heard somewhere that they held the commands a little longer so that the command carries throughout the whole parade square so everyone can hear. I'm not exactly sure about it, but it could be true.

Back