• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

education requirements to join

frostysam44

Reaction score
I’m 32 with a degree in automated systems electromechanics from Quebec after talking with my sister who’s an officer in the reserve and life long cadet instructor I’ve decided that I’m interested in joining the army I saw that the expedited application trial makes you skip CFAT, why is that and how do it works? I’m currently eyeing at Armour soldier , Electronic-Optronic Technician and gunner as my 3 choice but I’m guessing with my degree they might want me somewhere else? I already got security clearance because I work on bridges, cranes and other equipment for the federal government but I’m guessing it doesn’t matter?

I'm also unsure if i can join since i have a TENS for high school instead of a normal GED in quebec, i'm eligible to take electrical engineering in university with 1 year credited from my current degree but its still not a GED or grade 10

I’m 32 with a degree in automated systems electromechanics from Quebec after talking with my sister who’s an officer in the reserve and life long cadet instructor I’ve decided that I’m interested in joining the army I saw that the expedited application trial makes you skip CFAT, why is that and how do it works? I’m currently eyeing at Armour soldier , Electronic-Optronic Technician and gunner as my 3 choice but I’m guessing with my degree they might want me somewhere else? I already got security clearance because I work on bridges, cranes and other equipment for the federal government but I’m guessing it doesn’t matter?

I'm also unsure if i can join since i have a TENS for high school instead of a normal GED in quebec, i'm eligible to take electrical engineering in university with 1 year credited from my current degree but its still not a GED or grade 10
Security clearance from other departments still has to be redone for the forces. As you probably already know, different federal departments don't like sharing info.
You can choose whatever trade you want to do. They won't stop you from applying for those unless your degree is completely unsuitable for them. If you have relevant experience and education, you can skip the CFAT for specific trades. For example, think of the doctor who wants to join the CAF as a doctor. They have 10 years civilian experience. They have the relevant education. So why should we care whether they can test high enough for that trade? That's the basis for skipping the CFAT.
It doesn't work for every trade, or in every circumstance, and I believe it doesn't work for reserves applications.

I can't speak to your high school diploma issue. Sorry.

Security clearance from other departments still has to be redone for the forces. As you probably already know, different federal departments don't like sharing info.
You can choose whatever trade you want to do. They won't stop you from applying for those unless your degree is completely unsuitable for them. If you have relevant experience and education, you can skip the CFAT for specific trades. For example, think of the doctor who wants to join the CAF as a doctor. They have 10 years civilian experience. They have the relevant education. So why should we care whether they can test high enough for that trade? That's the basis for skipping the CFAT.
It doesn't work for every trade, or in every circumstance, and I believe it doesn't work for reserves applications.

I can't speak to your high school diploma issue. Sorry.
I went to the nearest recruiting center with my school papers to verify if I was eligible to join because I did not want to waste anyone's time and despite them being more clueless then me they told me to apply so I did that. I left more clueless then when I went there but i've now filled out the application and we will see what comes out of it.

I asked the recruiter when I went for my CFAT, because I only had my transcripts for university and was waiting for a copy of my high school transcript, they only ask for the high school transcript in 1 of 2 situations. 1) you don't have any post-secondary certifications (BA, Diploma, Certificates, etc), or 2) if you went to high school outside of Canada.
I’m currently eyeing at Armour soldier , Electronic-Optronic Technician and gunner as my 3 choice but I’m guessing with my degree they might want me somewhere else?
They'll try to honour your choices, if there's an available position in any of your chosen occupations.

I went to the nearest recruiting center with my school papers to verify if I was eligible to join because I did not want to waste anyone's time and despite them being more clueless then me they told me to apply so I did that. I left more clueless then when I went there but i've now filled out the application and we will see what comes out of it.
The military doesn't assess education outside of Canada, that is up to a company like WES. For example I just had a file come to me where the person's degree stated Biochemistry from outside Canada, WES decided that it was equivalent to a Doctor of Philosophy. Also Recruiters will (for the most part) never say "don't apply" - they are not the authority for who is eligible, they can guide people but there are other stakeholders who make the final decision. As such the advise is normally to apply.

They'll try to honour your choices, if there's an available position in any of your chosen occupations.
This is inaccurate. It's not based on "any" of your chosen occupations - you must be as willing to take the #1 occupation as your #3 occupation as the CAF may be in higher need of people for the #3 occupation (speaking about regular force applications). So although there might be openings for all 3 of your choices, you could be given an offer for the one you consider #3.

This is inaccurate. It's not based on "any" of your chosen occupations - you must be as willing to take the #1 occupation as your #3 occupation as the CAF may be in higher need of people for the #3 occupation (speaking about regular force applications). So although there might be openings for all 3 of your choices, you could be given an offer for the one you consider #3.
Ah see I didn't know this. Thank you for the clarification, as the career counsellor at the CFRC wasn't that clear about how the ranking of chosen occupations worked. I just knew that I was "given" my first choice after writing the CFAT when talking with the recruiters.

Back