• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
'll form my own opinions, without the MSM. They can't be trusted anymore.

Actually, the "MSM" is a pretty big tent, at least in Canada. At one end it contains the National Post and the Sun Chain, at the middle the Globe and Mail, and at the other The Toronto Star. The CBC (if you read/listen/watch it objectively, as opposed to cherry-picking it), also comes in around the middle of things.

No big surprise really, because most Canadians are, I think, more or less in that "big tent" I mentioned above.

The danger IMHO of dismissing the MSM as an agent of Satan is that you are then left with only the media that is designed to serve a particular narrow slice of opinion. In other words, an intellectual echo chamber where all we hear is what we want to hear. No room for second opinions, or balanced reporting, or thoughtful critique. Just more of the same.

Don't forget though that Ford country was able to obtain enough votes to win Toronto in spite of its left-leaning tendancies and his brother was every bit as big a buffoon as Doug is. 

recceguy said:
If Windsor stays true to form the PC won't have a chance in Windsor. It's a lunch bucket town with a union stranglehold. I believe the dippers from Windsor will hold their office. I certainly don't want to see that, but Windsor constantly shoots itself in the foot when it comes to provincial politics and ends up on the opposition side of the winners.

That's fair and reasonable based on the impact of the auto unions.

YZT580 said:
Don't forget though that Ford country was able to obtain enough votes to win Toronto in spite of its left-leaning tendancies and his brother was every bit as big a buffoon as Doug is.

Toronto is a very diverse electorate. Really "left leaning" voters are probably quite few, and tend to be concentrated in the former City of Toronto. The old suburbs, such as the former Etobicoke, Scarborough and North York are more mixed and contain more socially conservative or right of centre folks. But those are only "centre of mass" estimates: the various types of voters are scattered more widely than that.

Rather than being "left leaning" I think that what you would find amongst many 905-416 voters is a resistance to the more extreme socially conservative policies which Granic-Allen was championing. That, IMHO, doesn't make them "left wing" but rather centrist or maybe slightly left of centre. But that said, in all of those areas of T.O there are ethnic communities who are very socially conservative, and who will likely be attracted to Ford.

pbi said:
Actually, the "MSM" is a pretty big tent, at least in Canada.

I wonder if most voters get their political information from MSM anymore?

Attachments

• troll farm.jpg
    troll farm.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 190
pbi said:
Toronto is a very diverse electorate.

There are 140 neighbourhoods officially recognized by the City of Toronto and upwards of 240 official and unofficial neighbourhoods within the city's boundaries.

PPCLI Guy said:
Where was the bias?  Where was the opinion?  Did we read the same article?

Al I could see that even slightly smelled of bias was:

"Had Elliott won, it’s possible she could have swayed some urban and suburban voters, in new ridings and elsewhere, to the Conservative camp. Ford is unlikely to have the same effect on Liberal voters."

What am I missing?

Who knows? Maybe nothing. Maybe your right, I don't know. I just have a (un)healthy mistrust of the media. I didn't used to have, but the last decade has made me, probably, over cynical. Left was probably the wrong word as I find the MSM fantasies cover the gambut and I just post too quick sometimes. I've lost all faith in them and they will have to work very hard to convince me they aren't biased. If it was a rundown of the facts like I get from my daily Alexa brief, I wouldn't have a problem. It says things like "Today President Trump flew to Mara Largo for a meeting with <insert name here> to talk about funding <todays plan>. No inference, no commentary, no opinion No Anderson Cooper or Rush Limbough. A simple statement of facts. To me, that's the way the news should be. If I'm interested, I will research further and come to my own conclusion. I really don't care what a journalist has to say on a subject or their impression of something. Most are simply talking heads reading words on a screen or writing there articles based on their personal outlook. Other likely disagree. That's ok. I do what makes me happy, I don't infringe on anyone elses rights. I'm not making anyone listen. The choice is here to ignore me even. The last guy that was perfect got hung up on a cross for his troubles. Correct me if you wish. If you make the case, I'll agree. If you don't, I won't. Pretty simple.

pbi said:
Actually, the "MSM" is a pretty big tent, at least in Canada. At one end it contains the National Post and the Sun Chain, at the middle the Globe and Mail, and at the other The Toronto Star. The CBC (if you read/listen/watch it objectively, as opposed to cherry-picking it), also comes in around the middle of things.

No big surprise really, because most Canadians are, I think, more or less in that "big tent" I mentioned above.

The danger IMHO of dismissing the MSM as an agent of Satan is that you are then left with only the media that is designed to serve a particular narrow slice of opinion. In other words, an intellectual echo chamber where all we hear is what we want to hear. No room for second opinions, or balanced reporting, or thoughtful critique. Just more of the same.

There's truth in what you say. However, if I really want to suss something out, I am a more than capable researcher and don't get pigeon holed. I did daily investigations, prepared court briefs and attended court on the prosecution side, some resulting in 5 and six figure fines. I know how to research and the tools that are available to do so. That doesn't mean I have to listen to, or believe, the likes of CBC tell me no whites need apply and trudeau really is a unicorn, because they are the CBC, Canada's most trusted broadcaster. And if CBC isn't Canada's MSM, what is it?

The “MSM” is reporting that Christine Elliott is dropping her challenge and will get behind Ford. 

Good news I guess.  I only hope there hasnt been too much damage done.

Split this into its own thread as I'm sensing this is going to overwhelm the general politics thread in the run up to the election otherwise. 

Contrary to what you folks in Ontario think, the rest of Canada doesn't (always) revolve around you.  ;D

The only thing, currently, revolving in Ontario is the liebral party circling the drain.

:rofl:
mariomike said:
Why wait?

Absolutely Donald Trump respects women. There's millions of women that have voted for him. So all those millions of women are dumb? I don't think so.

Do I think Donald Trump can run the country a lot better and get along with other countries like Russia? Absolutely he can do a better job. He can create a stimulus. He can lower taxes.

Donald Trump's a businessman, he's a very successful businessman. I think he's a marketing genius.

Over 80% of the media can't stand Donald Trump in the US. I've never seen a more biased media in my entire life, except Rob Ford. But outside of that I have not seen a more biased media.

No one can buy Donald Trump. And everyone knows that.
http://www.azquotes.com/author/24760-Doug_Ford_Jr

I'd like to buy some hash off of Doug Ford. Does anybody know if he's still dealing in James Gardens?

Pencil Tech said:
I'd like to buy some hash off of Doug Ford. Does anybody know if he's still dealing in James Gardens?

3b31720eccc07122ab03c0827ff233d8.jpg

Pencil Tech said:

Better luck trying the gas plants in Mississauga and Oakville.

recceguy said:
I see our new favourite phrase is 'bumper sticker this and that". Since when does having a bumper sticker make you a moron or extreme right or left?
I've used it, without apology.  So between pbi and me, that makes....uh, two. 

Only because you asked, it makes one seem an extreme left or right moron (not my words; not my personal attack), if it appears one's 'thinking' is informed solely by clichés and slavishly citing one or two zealot blogs, which merely reaffirm a pre-existing bias, rather than multiple readings that challenge one's views and require one to....well, think.

You are asking a lot.  Reading AND thinking? It’s too much for one day.  :p

Let the scaremongering begin: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/kathleen-wynne-doug-ford-brampton-rally-1.4571601

"The Conservative Party is going into this election with more radically conservative policies than Mike Harris, Tim Hudak or Stephen Harper ever ran on," said Deb Matthews, Liberal MPP and co-chair of Wynne's campaign.

"The billions in cuts they are promising, and the divisive social conservative policies they are championing will hurt Ontario's economy and change our province for the worse."

Because spending billions you don't have has worked so well thus far?

I don't know about out of town, but Doug has a lot of supporters in Toronto.
https://vimeo.com/110365134
This was mayoral election night for Doug in 2014.
"The Ford's are the Kennedy's of Canada."

00:50 Tattoo Bob
02:13 Ward 2 Councillor Mike Stirpe Ford
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ford_(politician)
03:58 "Eff John Tory".  :)
05:19 Brother Randy Ford ( never seen without his cowboy hat )

This supporter took Doug's loss particularly hard,
https://vimeo.com/110287800
"It's like ISIS coming to Toronto."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back