• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other option is you have the North succeed, or have it join Manitoba whose population is about as spread out and of a similar mindset.

Eaglelord17 said:
The other option is you have the North succeed, or have it join Manitoba whose population is about as spread out and of a similar mindset.

Michael Gravelle, the Minister of Northern Development and Mines, had this to say about what effect the proposed secession of Toronto would have on Northern Ontario, ( presumably a similar effect were the North to secede ),

"I look at it from the perspective of would this be good for Northern Ontario . . . and I don‘t think it would be.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposal_for_the_Province_of_Toronto#History

Mayor Tory of Toronto said this,

Tory argues Toronto is a global metropolis with needs that go way beyond and are more complex than cities and towns much smaller in Ontario. "I heard the minister refer this morning, in the same breath as talking about Toronto, to the bus service to Wawa and Sioux Lookout. Wawa has one bus and you call it to come to your house to pick you up. The notion that we would be compared, and I say this with no disrespect to these communities whatsoever, I've been in them all, but the notion you would compare the needs of a city of millions of people, that has millions of people going to work on transit and going to school everyday and the notion that we would be put in with them is part of the problem, here."
http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/news/road-tolls-a-no-go-1.2360098

END QUOTE

mariomike said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposal_for_the_Province_of_Toronto#Constitutional_amendment
mariomike said:
Out of curiosity, is it your intent to post each sub-section of that Wikipedia article separately, perhaps so it looks like there's some large body of evidence to supporting a Toronto independence movement?

Otherwise, it really isn't a lengthy article, if anyone had an interest in reading it in one fell swoop rather than waiting for their next Coronation Street installment.

....or maybe....just maybe..... create a separate 'utopian Toronto' thread, leaving this one for those who believe that there may be more to Ontario politics than Toronto separatism.

Journeyman said:
....or maybe....just maybe..... create a separate 'utopian Toronto' thread, leaving this one for those who believe that there may be more to Ontario politics than Toronto separatism.

If you wish, secession from Ontario can be split and merged into the existing 5-page "City-state provinces in Canada? Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver" discussion. 

mariomike said:
If you wish, secession from Ontario can be split and merged into the existing 5-page "City-state provinces in Canada? Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver" discussion.
Noooo.....Toronto clearly  needs it's own, centre-of-universe thread; it shouldn't be bogged down with those second rate city-states.    :nod:

Journeyman said:
Noooo.....Toronto clearly  needs it's own, centre-of-universe thread; it shouldn't be bogged down with those second rate city-states.    :nod:

Already has one,  :)

Toronto: Love it or hate it?
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/119520.25.html
8 pages.

If you do not wish secession from Ontario split and merged into the existing 5-page "City-state provinces in Canada?" discussion, it can be split and merged into the existing 8-page "Toronto: Love it or hate it?" discussion.

mariomike said:
Michael Gravelle, the Minister of Northern Development and Mines, had this to say about what effect the proposed secession of Toronto would have on Northern Ontario, ( presumably a similar effect were the North to secede ),

"I look at it from the perspective of would this be good for Northern Ontario . . . and I don‘t think it would be.”

Mayor Tory of Toronto said this,

Tory argues Toronto is a global metropolis with needs that go way beyond and are more complex than cities and towns much smaller in Ontario. "I heard the minister refer this morning, in the same breath as talking about Toronto, to the bus service to Wawa and Sioux Lookout. Wawa has one bus and you call it to come to your house to pick you up. The notion that we would be compared, and I say this with no disrespect to these communities whatsoever, I've been in them all, but the notion you would compare the needs of a city of millions of people, that has millions of people going to work on transit and going to school everyday and the notion that we would be put in with them is part of the problem, here."
http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/news/road-tolls-a-no-go-1.2360098

END QUOTE

Let the North look after the North, the reality is we have industry to sustain ourselves, a completely different population base than Toronto with much different opinions (as mentioned the North tends to either be Conservative or NDP depending on if there is a major industry in the area), and much different needs. Its simple things like the fact the trans-Canada isn't double-laned, that drive us crazy, not whatever social issue is the new fad in the city. Or as mentioned Northern Ontario would also fit in more with Manitoba whose population is very similar in both mindset and issues.

Eaglelord17 said:
Or as mentioned Northern Ontario would also fit in more with Manitoba whose population is very similar in both mindset and issues.

Mantario has a nice ring to it!  :)

mariomike said:
Shouldn’t that one be titled “City-state provinces in Canada? Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa-Gatineau, and Vancouver” based on the the frequency that a national capital district comes up in the discussion?

I'd prefer adding back the former name of the Quebec side of the National Capital Region, and calling it Hull-Ottawa-Gatineau, or HOG for short.

The jokes write themselves.

Eaglelord17 said:

"Way beyond and ... more complex"?

Same stuff, different scale. That's all.

The needs of individual people vary quite little, if at all, between big city and small town.

Toronto has a bigger city government, and more public servants and employees and a huge tax base to fund its "way beyond and ... more complex".

If they can't handle the job with what they've got, changing their political status is not going to change that one bit. They'd just be crying for equalization payments.

And they can request military aid directly instead of going through the province first for things like snowstorms, bee clouds and backed up sewers...

Remius said:
And they can request military aid directly instead of going through the province first for things like snowstorms, bee clouds and backed up sewers...

Fortunately, no risk of an ALEA ask in the event of a Stanley Cup win.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/04/03/premier-wynne-backs-gaffe-prone-mississauga-mpp-who-boasted-about-liberal-government-tripling-provinces-debt.html

Mississauga Liberal MPP says sorry for boasting about the province’s debt level

By Rob Ferguson Queen's Park Bureau

Tues., April 3, 2018

“We have tripled (the debt) and we’re proud of it, because we can afford it,” Delaney, added in the exchange caught on audio tape.

“It’s the responsible thing to do. It’s the correct thing to do. It’s what people have asked us to do and I would do it again and do it proudly,” he told the crowd at a Streetsville restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back