• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
PuckChaser said:
I'd happily turn it back to Mike Harris if it means the gongshow of Mcguinty and Wynne never existed.  The PCs are being dealt the same cards Harris was dealt after Rae bankrupted the province.

Don't vote Ford if you must, just keep the vote away from the liberals and the PCs will still win.

According to your profile, you were 8 years old 25 years ago.  :) 

Not to argue party politics with you.

That is why I put a ? at the end of my single sentence post.

And the...I'm not even sure what to call it at this point...continues.

'Please go home': Ontario PC leadership race results under review, no leader announced

Hartley Lefton, chair of the PC leadership election committee, told the packed convention centre in Markham, Ont., that there are 1,300 ballots under dispute, and that the party will reveal results "as soon as practically possible."

"Unfortunately we don't have access to the hall any longer. Members, I ask you to please go home to wait for results. We cannot stay here," Lefton said.

So, can't organize a leadership vote or a convention, but want to run the province.

Got it.

dapaterson said:
So, can't organize a leadership vote or a convention, but want to run the province.

Got it.
The issue was with online voting, the software ran on postal codes instead of street address moving people into the wrong riding. There was also only 1,000 contested votes out of 64,000. Pretty decent for a snap leadership campaign run 3 months before a general election.

So, didn't plan for how to do the vote.  Didn't do "what if" scenarios in advance to be ready?

And the "Sorry, we're being kicked out of the hall"?

Amateur hour.

All we need now is for Patrick Brown to come back and try to re-re--reclaim the leadership.

On the plus side, if the reports are correct, at least they'll have expertise in cannabis sales...

After following an online debate involving Doug Ford supporters, I keep picturing the final days in the Fuhrer bunker. :facepalm:

:rofl:

But, this just in.  Der Fuhrer has been selected.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/ontario-progressive-conservatives-pcs-new-leader-election-1.4571014

cavalryman said:
After following an online debate involving Doug Ford supporters, I keep picturing the final days in the Fuhrer bunker. :facepalm:

Never been to a Ford Fest?  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXmdA92xGJo&feature=youtu.be

It just amazes me that the province that votes like monkeys flinging poop at a dart board also gets to control federal elections. No wonder we're in the current state.

Kat Stevens said:
It just amazes me that the province City of Toronto that votes like monkeys flinging poop at a dart board also gets to control federal elections. No wonder we're in the current state.

FTFY  ;D

jollyjacktar said:
:rofl:

But, this just in.  Der Fuhrer has been selected.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/ontario-progressive-conservatives-pcs-new-leader-election-1.4571014

I can just see it, a few years as leader of the Ontario PCs (whether he gets elected Premier or not) and the next thing you know he will be running Federally.

Retired AF Guy said:
I can just see it, a few years as leader of the Ontario PCs (whether he gets elected Premier or not) and the next thing you know he will be running Federally.

Attachments

• ford-nation.jpg
    ford-nation.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 218
Also,  can Elliot finally be put out to pasture?

3 time loser now.

"I won't vote for Ford.  How horrible. Ontario is all finished. A carnival." I think the hyperboyle is a little comical actually. Anyway, the only thing I might get worried about is that  you'll let Wynne back in because you dislike Ford, not even giving him a chance. But yeah, ok, that's your choice and none of my business how you vote or think. I don't think you'll get much better results with Horvath, again, not my business.

Ford has (surprising to some) gravitas in 416/905-land.  My hydro meter spinning my hard-earned $$$ in Hydro Wynne has me at least willing to see how things develop.  A three-way ‘Also Ran’ of PCs, NDPs and Greens will do nothing but reinforce the McGwynnety Dynasty. :not-again:

Regards
G2G

recceguy said:
"I won't vote for Ford.  How horrible. Ontario is all finished. A carnival." I think the hyperboyle is a little comical actually. Anyway, the only thing I might get worried about is that  you'll let Wynne back in because you dislike Ford, not even giving him a chance. But yeah, ok, that's your choice and none of my business how you vote or think. I don't think you'll get much better results with Horvath, again, not my business.

I think you misunderstand the sentiment here.  We, and I include myself in that, wanted a viable alternative to Ms. Wynne, someone who couldn’t take her on and not scare the electorate like the last few times.  Campaigns MATTER.  Wynne for all her faults is a formidable campaigner who will likely have a robust machine behind her (the same machine that got Trudeau elected).  The conservatives barely got a leadership vote right let alone a campaign.  That worries me.

Ford said he is open to reopening the abortion debate for example.  It didn’t go unnoticed that Tania Granic Allen was standing at his side all smiles.  My fear is that the party is going to make a hard turn to the social right and scare the voters into sticking with the status quo and Wynne walks away with the election.

Your line about us letting Wynne win because we dislike Ford.  I think the PCs have done that on their own by choosing a populist leader.  If moderate Conservatives on this site aren’t happy and worried imagine what I’ll happen come June after a brutal campaign with Ontarians who could vote one or another.

None of us wants Wynne back but the fact is that the PC party have just made her job easier.  I don’t find it comical at all. 

I think people living in Ontario should remember two things before writing off Rob Ford:

1. Caucuses matter. Look carefully at your local candidates when you make your choice at election time.

2. If you vote "anybody but Ford", you are basically garaunteeing another Wynne Victory, or possibly a minority NDP government. The OLP is arguably the most corrupt political machine in Canada and you are give them another 4 years as the stewards of Canada's largest province? Do you like paying extortionate levels of tax and hydro? How much longer do you think any industry of any size can hang on in your province?

Remius said:
I think you misunderstand the sentiment here.  We, and I include myself in that, wanted a viable alternative to Ms. Wynne, someone who couldn’t take her on and not scare the electorate like the last few times.  Campaigns MATTER.  Wynne for all her faults is a formidable campaigner who will likely have a robust machine behind her (the same machine that got Trudeau elected).  The conservatives barely got a leadership vote right let alone a campaign.  That worries me.

Ford said he is open to reopening the abortion debate for example.  It didn’t go unnoticed that Tania Granic Allen was standing at his side all smiles.  My fear is that the party is going to make a hard turn to the social right and scare the voters into sticking with the status quo and Wynne walks away with the election.

Your line about us letting Wynne win because we dislike Ford.  I think the PCs have done that on their own by choosing a populist leader.  If moderate Conservatives on this site aren’t happy and worried imagine what I’ll happen come June after a brutal campaign with Ontarians who could vote one or another.

None of us wants Wynne back but the fact is that the PC party have just made her job easier.  I don’t find it comical at all.

If none of you want Wynne back then don’t vote for the Liberals.  The definition of insanity, doing something over and over and expecting a different result.

And that is exactly is what is going to happen.  By all rights the OLP should have been thrown out two elections ago.  But the PCs keep screwing it up and normally on one issue.  One issue that sinks them because of fearmongering.  Last time was the 100 000 job cut.

Don’t think for one second that Wynne isn’t going to use things like abortion and gay marriage against the Ford camp.  And Ontario will buy it. 

Perhaps a separate discussion should be on what happened to common sense, moderate politics.

US federal, Canadian federal, Ontario provincial -- each one has garnered a greater outcry than previous elections of, "are you serious? Out of millions of citizens, those are the best  you can put forward?"  Why pandering to the extreme fringes/lowest common denominator?  Is there really  that many voters who thrive on bumper-sticker governance because actually thinking about issues is too difficult/troublesome?

Maybe it's time we joined Kent Brockman, just welcomed our new insect overlords, and be done with it.

~sigh~    :not-again:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back