• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remius said:
Don’t think for one second that Wynne isn’t going to use things like abortion and gay marriage against the Ford camp.
Despite neither of those things being within the Premier's purview.

Remius said:
And Ontario will buy it.
Unfortunately, yes.

Who can I vote for if I'm against abortion for married gay men lol

I haven't actually heard anything about this Ford.  Guessing he's into drugs or prostitutes or something?

I know the other Ford had issues but if I'm not mistaken he actually did a pretty decent job at being a mayor?

Its pretty shitty if we're stuck with a hammer head.  Sadder still we're in a position where anyone would be better than Wynne.  Throwing away a vote helps keep Wynne in office.

ModlrMike said:
Despite neither of those things being within the Premier's purview.
Unfortunately, yes.

Except that Ford already demonstrated that he can make it his purview.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/doug-ford-raises-abortion-issue-in-effort-to-woo-social-conservatives-expert-1.3832209

I think we might be seeing a reverse of what we saw down south.  Pitting a more disliked candidate against another.

Given Elliott’s refusal to concede her side might pull a Bernie Sanders and not show up at the polls.

Remius said:
Except that Ford already demonstrated that he can make it his purview.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/doug-ford-raises-abortion-issue-in-effort-to-woo-social-conservatives-expert-1.3832209

I think we might be seeing a reverse of what we saw down south.  Pitting a more disliked candidate against another.

Given Elliott’s refusal to concede her side might pull a Bernie Sanders and not show up at the polls.

Once again, I would ask that you carefully examine the candidates in your local riding and make your choice based on that. Not voting at all says, what, exactly?

Jarnhamar said:
I know the other Ford had issues but if I'm not mistaken he actually did a pretty decent job at being a mayor?

On November 15, 2013 Rob Ford was stripped of power as mayor by Toronto council.

In the history of the city, this was unprecedented.

Councillors decided by a 37-5 vote to cut the mayor’s budget and by a 36-6 vote to transfer many of Ford’s deputies and much of his budget to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly.

A 32-10 vote decreed Ford could no longer set key matters on the legislative agenda.

Another 37-5 vote removed the mayor’s right to fill vacancies on the civic appointments committee.

He retained symbolic powers, and could still attend official functions as Toronto’s mayor, but he no longer had the clout associated with a CEO.

David Price, Ford's friend and former football coach, who had been hired personally by Ford at twice the salary of others in the mayor's office, was terminated.

As a matter of public safety, his power to govern the city during a State of Emergency was taken away from him, and given to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly.

Because he was not a city employee, he could not be fired. All they could do was take away his power.

Jarnhamar said:
I haven't actually heard anything about this Ford.  Guessing he's into drugs or prostitutes or something?

Noted hash dealer for many years, according to the Globe and Mail, in an article published in 2013, years before he ran to become the PCPO leader.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/

SeaKingTacco said:
Once again, I would ask that you carefully examine the candidates in your local riding and make your choice based on that. Not voting at all says, what, exactly?

Don’t confuse me with someone who isn’t going to vote.  I’m pointing out the self inflicted challenge the PCs have done to themselves.  They’ve given Wynne so many gifts it isn’t even funny. 

I know how I’ll be voting.  But Ontario as whole is another story.

The party is a mess now.  Elliot refuses to concede, Mulroney’s machine will like go dormant and I wouldn’t Be surprised if some elements from within sabotage Ford’s chances.

Yeah, fun times.

dapaterson said:
Noted hash dealer for many years, according to the Globe and Mail, in an article published in 2013, years before he ran to become the PCPO leader.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/

Hard to believe that the PC's find the above to be acceptable but a heterosexual man having sex with women?

Jed said:
If none of you want Wynne back then don’t vote for the Liberals.  The definition of insanity, doing something over and over and expecting a different result.
Wynne> Northern Trump.

I was going to vote PC until Ford got in.  Now I need to decide who's better between Liberal and NDP.  Regardless of who get's in though, I don't expect to see anything big happen with hydro prices, it's to messed up right now and the debt needs to be paid.

SeaKingTacco said:
Agreed. And even if you are not a supporter of Ford, remember he’s just as liable to be removed by the party as Brown was! So, there’s that....Lol!  The main thing, for me anyway, is to now focus on the local candidate in the election and do what you can to get them elected and and Wynne out. I guess it won’t happen this election, but this province needs a political smiting of near biblical proportions, it happened 100 years ago and it could happen again.

Don't forget https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_general_election,_1990

stellarpanther said:
I was going to vote PC until Ford got in.  Now I need to decide who's better between Liberal and NDP.  Regardless of who get's in though, I don't expect to see anything big happen with hydro prices, it's to messed up right now and the debt needs to be paid.

This is exactly what I’m talking about.  I know plenty that would have voted PC under Mulroney, Elliott or even Brown (before the scandal).  Instead the party picks someone that a lot of those people (women in particular) won’t be able to bring themselves to vote for. 

whiskey601 said:
Agreed. And even if you are not a supporter of Ford, remember he’s just as liable to be removed by the party as Brown was! So, there’s that....Lol!  The main thing, for me anyway, is to now focus on the local candidate in the election and do what you can to get them elected and and Wynne out. I guess it won’t happen this election, but this province needs a political smiting of near biblical proportions, it happened 100 years ago and it could happen again.

I wanted a smiting.  As in reduced to no party standing in the legislature.  With Ford leading, I think the Liberals might get a minority now or the NDP get a minority.

Kathleen Wynne has to go, and that’s why I’m voting for—oh, oh no…

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/05/kathleen-wynne-go-thats-im-voting-oh-oh-no/

dapaterson said:
Kathleen Wynne has to go, and that’s why I’m voting for—oh, oh no…

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/05/kathleen-wynne-go-thats-im-voting-oh-oh-no/
The Ontario PCs need to pick one non polarizing figure to walk to political victory...

Of course they couldn't do that.

I maintain,  left leaning voters are going to take one look at ford,  look at the polls,  see who has the most support,  liberals or NDP and vote for the party in the lead in an effort to keep ford out.

Good point.  The election will have an element of keeping Ford out rather than effectively replacing the Liberals.  Well done Ontario PCs.    :tsktsk:

Personally I don't think it's going to matter one way or another. I still fully expect a PC victory, having said that I don't live in Toronto so maybe that's enough to re-elect the Liberals 

Jarnhamar said:
I haven't actually heard anything about this Ford. 

Doug served one term as councillor for Ward 2 during Rob's one term as mayor.

Doug had the third worst attendance record on council. Only Giorgio Mammoliti ( brain surgery ) and Ron Moeser ( cancer - now deceased ) had worse attendance records.

When he was in attendance, he voted with his brother more than 90 per cent of the time. Sometimes in opposition to all the rest of council.

Doug had a plan to seize control of the Port Lands redevelopment from Waterfront Toronto, replacing the tri-party government agency’s long-term vision with a monorail, a megamall and the world’s largest Ferris wheel.

That scheme fell flat.

Attachments

• playing.jpg
    playing.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 184
suffolkowner said:
Personally I don't think it's going to matter one way or another. I still fully expect a PC victory, having said that I don't live in Toronto so maybe that's enough to re-elect the Liberals
This party has a history of grabbing defeat out of the jaws of victory,  and with ford,  they might have done just that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back