• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Decline of the Liberal Party- Swerved Into a Confederation Topic

I don't know if it's a "east v west" party thing.

But, I agree with the article below.

Given our options, I’d personally like to give Pierre a chance to do what he says he will do.

Will he let us down in the end? Maybe, maybe not. But I’m hopeful.

(Heck if it helps me to not see or hear Freeland ever again…)

Good article though, helped me view it from a different angle. Cheers 🥂

Fareed Zacharia had an interesting OP Ed this weekend on the decline of populism across the globe. It may be that PP’s entry late in the game is what is driving it.

(Could be behind a paywall, apologies)

While looking for a few other articles on that I came across one that claims that the pandemic sowed deep distrust in populism and populist ideas. It does specify though that it did not reinforce liberal democracy (in fact it also showed distrust in it)

It could be that PP’s embrace of a populist approach is what is the issue. It would explain why he hasn’t said a word on the convoy in some time and said nothing about anything regarding the inquiry into the EA.

I don't think we have fully seen the damage that the pandemic did to our institutions. And much of it was self inflicted by the institutions IMHO.

The fact people blindly fell in behind big pharma and big government, so willingly, even after there are so many examples of them both being rotten to the core is shocking to me, and its shocking that it came from the left. As they are traditionally the most skeptical of big government and big pharma (or any business), and rightly so. The left used to be about asking questions, now it seems to be about blind obedience to the supreme overlords.

As for populism, Canadians are too politically lazy for populism to gain traction here, en masse.

Boring is good.

What we need is boring in Canada. We don't have it. We have panic, anxiety, division, hate, spite, fear, dread. And I can assure its NOT the work of PP. Try inserting Trudeau and his merry band of cronies as being responsible.

Too many people overthink it and try to blah, blah, blah why PP is "just not the right fit".... FFS, wake up. My deceased cat could do a better job of running the government than Trudeau. Every time it people start looking more critically at PP, it makes me wonder if they are not closet Trudeau supporters. Trudeau is INCOMPETENT. Narcissistic and an egomaniac. Nothing logical about what he does. The worst of it though is when he does screw something up badly, he takes NO ownership and instead doubles down or deflects on the conservatives.

If PP gets in and can slightly imrpove the economy (opening up O & G), reduce government nonsensical bills (gender pronouns, the 88th anti-hate bill I am sure is coming and censorship/control bills) and allow Canadians to go about their business. Knock it off with Carbon tax this and that (Everything he said the carbon tax would do, has not happened other than make Canadian poorer), things will get better. Ohhh and fire about 20-30% of federal government employees and kill the CBC.

Basically if 80% or more Canadians can go to work, afford their bills (god forbid have some change left over for something fun), feed and shelter their families and basically be left alone, then the so called "populist movement" (AKA pissed off Canadians) will NOT happen. Talk of wetsren seperation will die down. People can go back to getting pissed off at their hockey team not making the play offs.

Heres another one to consider (division amongst the Libs)

Is this not another stick to beat Trudeau with? I guess after 8 years of LPC dithering we now know the Harper Government was correct after all?

Is this not another stick to beat Trudeau with? I guess after 8 years of LPC dithering we now know the Harper Government was correct after all?
He will be made out to be a hero out of this. "Trudeau buying new jets to deter Putin's aggression..." or something like that. and the average fence post (Canadians these days) will completely forget or ignore the fact Trudeau shut this purchase down.

Kind of like Chretein "No 'elicopters.." cancel the EH101 and then buy the Ch149 Comorant (An EH101)

Harper didn’t have the insight, wisdom and courage to beef up the existing CF-18 fleet with a batch of broke Aussie jets ridden hard and put away wet, so that each Cf-18 pilot could have his/her/their name/call-sign painted onto two aircraft each…

And some more worth watching at these former Trudeau allies

I hate to defend JT, but when you have been PM and in politics for as long as him, you're going to break a few eggs and make a few enemy omelets. And you have to take in the spin Sun Media will want to leverage.

I hate to defend JT, but when you have been PM and in politics for as long as him, you're going to break a few eggs and make a few enemy omelets. And you have to take in the spin Sun Media will want to leverage.
Or you can acknowledge its a troubling trend. Trudeau stabs you in the back and throws you under the bus if you don't toe the party line, whether its right or not.

I'm pretty sure the party doesn't have a line, or an agenda, plan or anything else. The party has trudeau. Whatever he decides to do, when he wakes up in the morning is what the party does. The PMO runs everything with an iron fist. The rest just support and vote as they are told.

I'm pretty sure the party doesn't have a line, or an agenda, plan or anything else. The party has trudeau. Whatever he decides to do, when he wakes up in the morning is what the party does. The PMO runs everything with an iron fist. The rest just support and vote as they are told.
I think you're right. The LPC went with Trudeau in 2013 despite his many and well known deficiencies. Her had there things going for him:
  • Persona- he's handsome, personally very pleasant, and charming;
  • He's a great campaigner - he actually loves campaigning and he does it well; and
  • Name!!!
But that's all there is and that's all there ever was. Dion and Ignatieff knew that - look at the critic posts they assigned to him in the post-Martin era - fitness and amateur sports and so on.

But he and his team recruited - in 2014/15 - a pretty substantial list iff candidates and they ran a good-to-great campaign in 2015. Then it all began to go sour. There was no vision ... sorry that's wrong, there was a green, feminist vision but they failed to implement much of it because there was no coherence or discipline in the cabinet.

Now, it seems to me, Freeland is yesterday's woman and Carney is interested in almost anything expect leading Canada and there needs to be a sacrificial Anglo before Joly can have her turn. If I was a Liberal I think I would start polishing Anita Anand, Marci Ien, Filomena Tassi or Ginette Petitpas Taylor. I suspect that either Anand or Ian might well frustrate Poilievre in Ontario and secure another Liberal strong minority, at least.

Back