• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The air cadet thread

Harding299 said:
Hey all, i just joined the forums. Im a Flight Sergeant with 299 yarmouth, Nova Scotia air cadets, and since we're kind of on the topic of promotions here, i have a question... another f/sgt from my sqn is going to SLC this summer and he claims that this will cause him to be sqn commander next year, even though we have a WO2 returning next year and he will be the highest rank. Our WO2 is taking glider and our f/sgt is taking SLC, is that even possible? Having a f/sgt as sqn commander while a WO2 would be 2ic? it doesnt make sense to me, give me your opinions plz.
That's an interesting situation. I'm not entirely sure if the CATO's have anything on that. I was at another Sqn's annual not too long ago and I saw that they had a f/sgt in a flight that was commanded by a sgt so I think it is possible to have a lower rank incharge of a higher rank although I don't think it's a good idea. Although SLC is supposed to prepare a person for leadership roles at the home sqn it doesn't automatically give them the CPC possition. I think what it will come down to is the opinion of your CO.

BS. SL doesn't give him jack squat over the WO2. The senior cadet, therefore in my mind the cadet who should be Sqn Comd, would be the current WO2 unless the CO decides to promote the FSgt to WO2 and give him command. However taking SL DOES NOT mean that this would happen. I have my doubts that a CO would do such a thing unless the one WO2 was proven to be a total idiot, but its damn hard to be selected for glider and be that way. Not impossible, but damn hard.

EDIT: Just re-read and relized I sounded a bit over the top. To clarify, there is no national standard that I am aware of that allows for what descibed to occur. Having said that, it is possible the CO told the cadet that he would be promoted to WO2 and given Sqn Comd. Or the cadet might just have a huge ego and need to feel importent. I don't know. But there is no national standard I'm aware of saying that a SL grad would be automatically give Sqn Comd.

There is a difference between rank and position.  The F/Sgt can be appointed the Squadron Warrant Officer, but to do that where there is another cadet that is a higher rank can make things very difficult for the morale of the unit.  SLC is a great course and I highly recommend it, but, being an SLC Graduate does not automatically make you the most qualified cadet in the unit.  I have had Squadron Warrant Officers who were graduates from SLC, Glider, Power and Survival.  They generally have different perspectives, but I would not say one is better than the other. 

hehe.....so we had our annual.......and i was FP commander....... hehe...........

hehe I didn't do anything except watever i was told to do......it was the WO1 that messed up hehe.......she marched us off before the general salute and national anthem......lol.......haha......lord strath is a cool lookin medal..... 8)

Good job on the Strath. So no OCanada eh? Yeah, ours forgot the advance in review order. And the Dep forgot to wait for the Flt Comds to face her after we marched on before her next command. Meh, all good. No one died.

lol no we sang it......but after we were marched off and evertyhing......lol

WO2_mandal said:
lol no we sang it......but after we were marched off and evertyhing......lol

We just completly forgot to sing O Canada. Ah well, nobody but a few can sing in my squadron  anyways.

Whats with air cadets and O Canada? Is there a conspiracy or something........hey........whos that in the bushes???

We kinda just ignored it... lets just say the band is... lacking at my sqn. However, it looks like I might be band flt. com next year so I'll make sure they play it twice next year  ;)

At least ur sqn has a band, we only have about 30 cdts and 5 seniors, and nobody is interested in making a band. we play O'Canada on a stereo lol. Our annual was also a disaster, our deputy flight comm. didnt know what the hell he was doing at all. then our sqn commander had to keep using sign language to ask the officers what to do next. I was so pissed. i was standing behind her because i was flight commander, and i wanted to just scream at her what to do lol. it was an embarassment :-[

Proper capitalization and not inserting webslang randomly in your post makes it easier on the eyes.

Harding299 said:
At least ur sqn has a band, we only have about 30 cdts and 5 seniors, and nobody is interested in making a band. we play O'Canada on a stereo lol. Our annual was also a disaster, our deputy flight comm. didnt know what the heck he was doing at all. then our sqn commander had to keep using sign language to ask the officers what to do next. I was so pissed. i was standing behind her because i was flight commander, and i wanted to just scream at her what to do lol. it was an embarassment :-[

My squadron has a band of about 30 members. There pretty good. But 51 squadron beat us...... again.

Thank you, thank you, evn though I'm in no way associated with said band other than we're all 51ers.......I dislike playing music........go flying! 8)

Kyle Burrows said:
Proper capitalization and not inserting webslang randomly in your post makes it easier on the eyes.

If you're referring to me Kyle, I would like to point out that Flt Comm is a commonly accepted Air Cadet term it's like saying BMQ so I'm not going to stop using it. As for punctuation... well I'm not a big fan of it but I'll try.

Think he meant this post....
At least ur sqn has a band, we only have about 30 cdts and 5 seniors, and nobody is interested in making a band. we play O'Canada on a stereo lol. Our annual was also a disaster, our deputy flight comm. didnt know what the hell he was doing at all. then our sqn commander had to keep using sign language to ask the officers what to do next. I was so pissed. i was standing behind her because i was flight commander, and i wanted to just scream at her what to do lol. it was an embarassment :-[

Note the lack of proper punctuation and/or spelling.

well im sorry, but i figured since u are all supposedly involved with the military u should know what cdt and sqn are, as for the caps, the words are exactly the same, so the legibility is also the same, i dont see any problems with it   :-\

I agree. But its ever so much easier for some of the old fogies(;)) on here to read if you use periods and proper spelling. Cdt and Sqn aren't a big deal. But its the MSN lingo that gets peoples backs up......IE: "you", not "u".

Back