• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Leather Jacket (merged discussion and mocking)

I was actually OK with it (bearing in mind I'm Army, so I have no dog in this fight), until I got to the pic of the back.  Really?!

Why not sell off ad space for "Red Bull" ('gives you wings')...or "The Maple Leaf" (since no one reads it, they may as well see it advertised on aircrew)

Journeyman said:
I was actually OK with it (bearing in mind I'm Army, so I have no dog in this fight), until I got to the pic of the back.  Really?!

Why not sell off ad space for "Red Bull" ('gives you wings')...or "The Maple Leaf" (since no one reads it, they may as well see it advertised on aircrew)

Perhaps you're confusing the old school RCN jacket pictured above with the new RCAF jacket? In addition to squadron and ship badges, putting cruise patches on the back is/was a very USN thing to do. In the case of LCdr Cantlie's jacket, I would venture to guess that he probably either served in, or at least had some traps on, a USS. And he's added the patches out of pride. Pretty common among naval aviators. That said, I've seen numerous photos of the G1 with everything from a lot of badges to none. I guess it comes down to a blend of personal preference and unit direction.

Rest assured, the new jacket will not be so adorned. Name tag and wings on the left breast. And something about metal rank identifiers on the shoulders. Then whatever else the dress police dream up.

No confusion; just commenting on the specific picture presented.

I assure you that we have enough people in the Army with so much free time on their hands that they can care about bling and badges to the detriment of spending on equipment and training, that it would be pretty arrogant of me to dictate fashion to the Air Force or Navy.  :nod:

If I bought the CANEX leather jacket, I would then have...5? issued jackets of various types left hanging in my closet I am already authorized to wear with my green jammies, that the taxpayer has already paid for.  So to me, fine it isn't paid for by the tax payer, but all the stuff they did already pay for is just gathering dust.

I know it's a CANEX jacket, but if I can't wear it doing my real job...well it isn't much good to me.  I already have my CADPAT rain jacket, AF fleece, combat jacket and parka to cover the occassions a 4 season flying jacket doesn't suit.  If its not something I wear workin', I don't have a use for it.

My  :2c:. 

Eye In The Sky said:
If I bought the CANEX leather jacket, I would then have...5? issued jackets of various types left hanging in my closet I am already authorized to wear with my green jammies, that the taxpayer has already paid for.  So to me, fine it isn't paid for by the tax payer, but all the stuff they did already pay for is just gathering dust.

I know it's a CANEX jacket, but if I can't wear it doing my real job...well it isn't much good to me.  I already have my CADPAT rain jacket, AF fleece, combat jacket and parka to cover the occassions a 4 season flying jacket doesn't suit.  If its not something I wear workin', I don't have a use for it.

My  :2c:.

I'm fairly certain the target demographic is the Ottawa/Winnipeg folk......or maybe the Airbus and Challenger Sqns when they transition to flying in DEU*  >:D 

* Good Idea Fairies:  Disregard what I said. 

bigzoomie said:
Then whatever else the dress police dream up.

So can it, or can it not, be worn with a fleece toque?

That's pretty critical, I think.

Loachman said:
So can it, or can it not, be worn with a fleece toque?

That's pretty critical, I think.

No. Leather Flying Helmet only.

Curious:  Has anyone seen the "metal rank devices" that are to be worn with the jacket?  I was wondering what those are, especially for officers.

No idea.  I noticed the CANEX started selling "rank" type cuff links for mess kit, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are similar.

https://www3.cfpsa.com/wyn2/en/wyn/ItemDetails.aspx?departmentID=51&CategoryID=67&ProductID=2528&CartID=23d02fab-1b18-4e98-9f7b-5bb0ea2b9b64

Privateer said:
Curious:  Has anyone seen the "metal rank devices" that are to be worn with the jacket?  I was wondering what those are, especially for officers.
Pips & Crowns for everyone!!    :blotto:

Well, I am envisioning RCAF pers going out and buying whatever the metal rank devices are, only to have to throw them away and buy new ones when the RCAF rank insignia are "royalized" or whatever the verb may be.

I think CANEX should ship their stock to Romania with the 6 pack, I bet they would be popular their at the discos.

4Feathers said:
I think CANEX should ship their stock to Romania with the 6 pack, I bet they would be popular their at the discos.

Well, I see a few jackets in these pictures:

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=62853&site=combatcamera
http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=62854&site=combatcamera

Jim Seggie said:
Maybe a return to the old ranks of "Flying Officer" or whatever the RAF came up with and probably still use.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....oh wait.....

I'm sure there's at least one "good idea fairy" that's thinking the same thing.  >:D

OMG! :eek: What are they going to do when the fast boys want to wear these in their aircraft? Metal badges equal FOD. So you can't be cool, and enter your aircraft without breaking airfield protocol.

So really, you can wear it in the Mess, or the local CANEX ::)

So I actually just got one of these (CANEX in Moose Jaw got an early shipment), and despite a lot of the skepticism that's been expressed here, which seems to be based largely on a photo in a poster with bad lighting and a model who doesn't know how to dress properly (did anyone notice he's got his flight suit zipped up all the way to his neck?), I'd say it's actually a pretty nice leather jacket.

It appears to be made from high quality top-grain leather ("black", or at least very dark brown), but it's still quite soft, and has a removable Thinsulate vest liner.  I mainly bought it to wear when I ride my motorcycle to work, which as it turns out, will probably be less controversial than wearing any other kind of jacket.

Seriously, though, has anyone heard anything definitive about these fabled "metal rank devices"?  Nobody at the CANEX could give me an answer, despite it being the most frequently asked question about these things, as they seem to be still waiting to hear from the Air Force about it.  Nametags are an open question, too, although there are websites that make them, at least for a few trades.

topgunmaverick.jpg

So how long till the jackets look like that.....

I do have a USN G1 (sans badges, cause I don't need no stinking badges), had it for a few years now.  Great leather jacket.  Somewhat surprised the new zoomie wasn't more like a USA A2 in style.

biggs said:
Seriously, though, has anyone heard anything definitive about these fabled "metal rank devices"?  Nobody at the CANEX could give me an answer, despite it being the most frequently asked question about these things, as they seem to be still waiting to hear from the Air Force about it.  Nametags are an open question, too, although there are websites that make them, at least for a few trades.

I'd be willing to bet that part of the reason there are no metal rank devices for this jacket yet is because in the coming months the AF will announce it is changing its rank nomenclature (and insignia) back to the old RCAF (current RAF) ranks... wait for it... wait for it...  :)

Back