• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Leather Jacket (merged discussion and mocking)

Transporter said:
I have no issue with Comd RCAF wearing it "first". My issue with it is that it is f****** ugly. Who designs this stuff? Do they intentionally make it look like s***? I could probably go to Danier leather or surf eBay and get something that looks better/more air force flying jacket like than that.

More Air Force looking leather?

Why didn't you say so!

;D

recceguy said:
More Air Force looking leather?

Why didn't you say so!

;D
Well, I believe my exact words were "more Air Force flying jacket like" not "more Air Force looking leather"... I believe the Dwyer Hill boys might be interested in the outfit in your photo however ;D

Transporter said:
Well, I believe my exact words were "more Air Force flying jacket like" not "more Air Force looking leather"... I believe the Dwyer Hill boys might be interested in the outfit in your photo however ;D

Ooooo. Hear that quiet knock on your door yet? ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
It isn't an issued item.
If everyone can get it, I humbly stand corrected, and continue to happily read everyone's sartorial assessment of the newest addition to the RCAF "Can't Get Ya New Fighters, so We'll Get Ya New Leather"® line of outerwear  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
I bet those slip-ons aren't "CANEX purchased".
8495996524_87b8625900_o.jpg

;)
Agreed.

Has the shiny-shiny rank been issued yet to those below this guy (I ask because I honestly don't know)?  If so, buy as many slip-ons as you like. 

If not, I'm old fashioned enough to think he shouldn't be the first to get 'em if most of the troops still don't have 'em.

Lightguns said:
Do and every Army general will be running around in the field with one on!!!!!  And a pearl handle S&W besides!!!!
"They're ivory! Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whore house would carry a pearl-handled revolver."

milnews.ca said:
If not, I'm old fashioned enough to think he shouldn't be the first to get 'em if most of the troops still don't have 'em.

I've only seen GOFOs with them so far, and Command CWOs.

I bumped into a WO with the new name tapes last week on a course in Esquimalt of all places. I imagine the issue of new slip ons will follow some cryptic and arcane pattern only known to Sup Techs and Baal, or whatever heathen god they believe in.

All hail the All Father, Odin Spear Shaker!

WeatherdoG said:
I imagine the issue of new slip ons will follow some cryptic and arcane pattern only known to Sup Techs and Baal, or whatever heathen god they believe in.

All hail the All Father, Odin Spear Shaker!
Good point!

I guess I don’t see the issue in complete black and white.  If it was operational clothing or equipment, I’d totally be on board with the notion that kitting needs to go from the pointy end on back.  But things like mess dress and leather jackets aren’t worn operationally.  For buttons and bows-type stuff, I think that sometimes the leadership/change needs to be demonstrated from the top down – especially if it is the result of someone’s “bright idea”.  And in that vein, the most common reaction to “bright ideas” I’ve seen is something along the line of ‘if it’s such a great idea, how ‘bout you go first’

Take the white insignia:  Once you get past the idea of it being a waste of money, most people seem to think it’s not in the least bit needed.  But the decision having been made, I think it’s up to the people at the top end to take the lead and put it on.

Probably the best leadership I’ve seen on this type of thing actually came from an air cadet.  The decision was recently made to replace the metal hat badge with a woven one.  It was an amazingly unpopular decision as, for some reason, cadets seem to have placed some kind of mystic significance to the badge being metal (what they mistakenly believed to be brass despite it being made of gold painted white metal since the 1970s).  When the first cloth badges started showing up at the squadron, the CO took the WO1 aside to try and come up with a plan to deal with the inevitable resistance to change.  The WO1 basically said, “I got it, sir”; went to supply and grabbed a bunch of the new badges; and gathered the WO2s together and said, we’re all going to have these sewn on for next week.  Once the cadets saw that all the warrant officers were wearing the new badge, there wasn’t a whole lot of grumbling after that.  If a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds can figure that out…

Now, that being said, I’m not sure I like the idea of wearing the new stuff on a regular basis for months and months before anyone else gets an opportunity to get the stuff.  I saw new RCAF mess dress worn a LONG time before the CANAIRGEN introducing it was even sent out.  There’s leading the charge and then there’s getting ahead of yourself.  It’s surrendering to the LCF a bit too much for my taste.

Well, the attached CANEX ad has made the FB rounds (and has been roundly mocked by most people I know.) 

Two questions:

1.  Where are we supposed to get metal rank insignia?  In a pinch the NCMs could use the Army ones, but there are no Officer ranks in metal.
2.  Why are they now combining the wings and name into one tag?  Not that I think it's necessarily a bad thing.

I'm also willing to bet money that within a week of these things being available, someone will add extra velcro à la "normal" flying jacket, somehow thrown slip-ons on it, and wear it on an aircraft. 

Dimsum said:
Well, the attached CANEX ad has made the FB rounds (and has been roundly mocked by most people I know.) 

Two questions:

1.  Where are we supposed to get metal rank insignia?  In a pinch the NCMs could use the Army ones, but there are no Officer ranks in metal.
2.  Why are they now combining the wings and name into one tag?  Not that I think it's necessarily a bad thing.

I'm also willing to bet money that within a week of these things being available, someone will add extra velcro à la "normal" flying jacket, somehow thrown slip-ons on it, and wear it on an aircraft.

Metal rank badges :eek: Given the fixation with FOD, I'm now assuming this is just a "I'm Tom Cruise" high speed, low drag jacket. The whole purpose of which is to give a nod and a wink to the girls and drive Sergeants Majors up the wall, and not any sort of operational gear that will be allowed within 300 ft of the flight line?. Have I got that about right?  ::)

I'll buy one when they come out in CADPAT.

Loachman said:
I'll buy one when they come out in CADPAT.

Naaa!  Black goes better on civvie street.  You don't want to be mistaken for someone off Duck Dynesty.

Holy holy F***! I've seen it all now. Not necessarily a bad idea, just atrocious execution.

Seeing that poster I no longer feel bad about my haircut/burns

George Wallace said:
Naaa!  Black goes better on civvie street.  You don't want to be mistaken for someone off Duck Dynesty.

Apparently, from a friend who's seen it, it's not black.  It's dark brown (with crappy lighting in the photo). 

Seriously though, $400 (even $349.99)?  USAF/RAAF jackets are about $250 - we are getting fleeced.

Dimsum said:
Apparently, from a friend who's seen it, it's not black.  It's dark brown (with crappy lighting in the photo). 

Seriously though, $400 (even $349.99)?  USAF/RAAF jackets are about $250 - we are getting fleeced.

Speaking of which, is this thing even remotely lined for cold weather? Or is it meant to be worn around the pool table in the Squadron hut\ bar while regaling the peers of the latest encounter with a Fokker Dr.I Dreidecker, a la one flat hand following the other in an intricate dance worthy of the Mikado. 8)

Back