• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Leather Jacket (merged discussion and mocking)

It's not considered operational gear.  So really it will be for those chilly spring/fall days where you want to wear something else from your car to the office.

Ditch said:
It's not considered operational gear.  So really it will be for those chilly spring/fall days where you want to wear something else from your car to the office.

Can't get the driver to drop you closer to the door?!!! :rofl:

C,mon, I kid! You opened the door, someone had to walk through :-*

I'm not a dress & deportment kind of person, but really... coveralls and a leather jacket?  :boke:

And somehow the Army is torn up about people wearing a toque without gloves on cause somehow that looks more ridiculous than coveralls with a leather jacket? ::)

ballz said:
I'm not a dress & deportment kind of person, but really... coveralls and a leather jacket?  :boke:

And somehow the Army is torn up about people wearing a toque without gloves on cause somehow that looks more ridiculous than coveralls with a leather jacket? ::)

I somehow think (or at least I would like to think) that you really do know that what you are calling "coveralls" really is a flight suit, and that Air Forces worldwide have been wearing flight suits and leather flying jackets for awhile now. The modern day RCAF didn't just dream it up. And as for the Army and its toque with/without gloves dilemma, what happens if you introduce the raincoat into the equation, especially if it isn't raining? Do heads explode altogether? :)

Transporter said:
Do heads explode altogether? :)

No, that would only happen to RSMs if the Army issued two different kinds of boots for soldiers to choose from.

Transporter said:
I somehow think (or at least I would like to think) that you really do know that what you are calling "coveralls" really is a flight suit, and that Air Forces worldwide have been wearing flight suits and leather flying jackets for awhile now.

I do realize its a "flight suit," which to me is just a set of coveralls (call it what you want), I did not realize that this combo is a world-wide Air Force thing. Most of our attire and what we consider "professional" comes from civilian world in some sense. Clean-shaven, clean haircuts, etc,  our DEUs look a lot like a business suit, our mess kit a tuxedo, etc, etc. So I get all that... I don't really see any occupation wear a flight suit / coveralls with a leather jacket, and as you may understand most civilian pilots (aka Air Canada / WestJet) I see are wearing something similar to a business suits / DEUs

Transporter said:
And as for the Army and its toque with/without gloves dilemma, what happens if you introduce the raincoat into the equation, especially if it isn't raining? Do heads explode altogether? :)

Last winter at a certain point everyone at my battalion was told they couldn't wear a raincoat anymore because now that it was snowing it was "too cold" for raincoats. Then of course, in February it went up to -5 and rained cats and dogs and everyone was wearing Goretex combat jacket, toques, and mittens. :not-again:

This year they didn't come with the madness of dictating which jacket you would wear from December - March, but I am sure they will again next winter :facepalm:

dapaterson said:
No, that would only happen to RSMs if the Army issued two different kinds of boots for soldiers to choose from.

Normally I'd say "can't wait to see this..." but lately I'm losing my sense of humour about this stuff.

Transporter said:
I somehow think (or at least I would like to think) that you really do know that what you are calling "coveralls" really is a flight suit, and that Air Forces worldwide have been wearing flight suits and leather flying jackets for awhile now. The modern day RCAF didn't just dream it up. And as for the Army and its toque with/without gloves dilemma, what happens if you introduce the raincoat into the equation, especially if it isn't raining? Do heads explode altogether? :)

Let's stay on track. We're not talking about toques and raincoats.

We're talking about a leather flying jacket.

It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure my flight suit label said something like 'Coveralls, Flying, Yada yada'. Could be wrong though.

But this is not a 'flying jacket' is it? It's simply a cool factor accoutrement. What function does it serve that's not already done by what is currently issued? It's nothing more than a 'look at me' piece of clothing. Kind of like Lady GaGa does.

Yes they did ;)

recceguy said:
Let's stay on track. We're not talking about toques and raincoats.

We're talking about a leather flying jacket.

It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure my flight suit label said something like 'Coveralls, Flying, Yada yada'. Could be wrong though.

But this is not a 'flying jacket' is it? It's simply a cool factor accoutrement. What function does it serve that's not already done by what is currently issued? It's nothing more than a 'look at me' piece of clothing. Kind of like Lady GaGa does.

Yes they did ;)

LOL!

Ah!  Yes.  The ole "coverall" discussion can be found at:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/98838.0

Yes they did ;)
[/quote]

I disagree. Though poorly executed, I don't see it as being any different than the other services reintroducing vestiges of their past over the years, like "look at me" mess kits or the Navy curl and Army pips/crowns, for example. What was wrong with the old CF standard mess kits and rank designators?

That said, I shan't be buying one because I think they're fugly. But, to each their own.

Transporter said:
I disagree. Though poorly executed, I don't see it as being any different than the other services reintroducing vestiges of their past over the years, like "look at me" mess kits or the Navy curl and Army pips/crowns, for example. What was wrong with the old CF standard mess kits and rank designators?

That said, I shan't be buying one because I think they're fugly. But, to each their own.

If the jacket wasn't $400 or more, since the USAF and others manage to have jackets sell to the public for $250, and if it didn't *seem* like the design was just plucked out of a Sears catalog vice a recognizable "flying jacket" pattern*, I would guess that more people would buy them and less would be grumbling about cost or fugliness. 

I mean c'mon:  If the Australians, who aren't known for manufacturing things inexpensively, can sell their version of the USAF jacket for $250, why can't we?  Last time I was in KAF, I half-joked about getting the guy on the boardwalk to make those jackets for $100 and selling them for $150 ;)

:2c:

Short-Cut-Original-Type-A-2-jacket.jpg

USAF

leather_g1.jpg

USN

None of those pics are they wearing their leather jacket over their coveralls? And coincidentally they do not look like vomit.

These jackets look like they are made from the same material our Mat Techs used to use to recover the old clunky arm chairs we had in the 80s.

They really are ugly jackets, but I bet they were made in Canada at least. 

Last time I deployed I was issued a green top loader kit bag that had "US" stenciled in black on the side.  Never seen them issued before and hope to never see them again since they were pretty much useless BUT if we can get kit bags in a pinch why not just arrange to get suitable quantities of these jackets sent in.  No point in reinventing the wheel, especially when this is what we end up with. 

ballz said:
I do realize its a "flight suit," which to me is just a set of coveralls (call it what you want), I did not realize that this combo is a world-wide Air Force thing. Most of our attire and what we consider "professional" comes from civilian world in some sense. Clean-shaven, clean haircuts, etc,  our DEUs look a lot like a business suit, our mess kit a tuxedo, etc, etc. So I get all that... I don't really see any occupation wear a flight suit / coveralls with a leather jacket, and as you may understand most civilian pilots (aka Air Canada / WestJet) I see are wearing something similar to a business suits / DEU

WestJet flying and most of the flying done in the RCAF is fairly different.  I don't recall being on a civie flight, few hundred feet over a 4+ sea state, dropping ordnance in 60 degree banks with 2g's on.

I am not a fan of this jacket, but aircrew has been wearing 1 piece flight suits and jackets forever.  I can wear my flight jacket, my AF fleece jacket, any CADPAT jacket.  It's not like we all have the exact same look to start with.

Leather was the original outer wear for flyers .  Personally I think it's plenty hot now with my 2 piece and long johns.  I can't imagine leather added for flying.

Eye In The Sky said:
WestJet flying and most of the flying done in the RCAF is fairly different.  I don't recall being on a civie flight, few hundred feet over a 4+ sea state, dropping ordnance in 60 degree banks with 2g's on.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my line of thought. I completely understand why our pilots need to wear something like a flight suit instead of a business suit like an Air Canada pilot would wear. I can also understand why a small percentage of civilian pilots would probably wear something "operational" as well, but I don't ever see that small percentage, *I* rarely see anything other than a WestJet/Air Canada pilot, and so I wouldn't be "in the know" as to whether it is normal/professional attire for pilots to wear a leather jacket over their coveralls.

ballz said:
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my line of thought. I completely understand why our pilots need to wear something like a flight suit instead of a business suit like an Air Canada pilot would wear. I can also understand why a small percentage of civilian pilots would probably wear something "operational" as well, but I don't ever see that small percentage, *I* rarely see anything other than a WestJet/Air Canada pilot, and so I wouldn't be "in the know" as to whether it is normal/professional attire for pilots to wear a leather jacket over their coveralls.

Why do you insist on referring to the flight suit as coveralls? Just trying to be antagonistic?

Transporter said:
Why do you insist on referring to the flight suit as coveralls? Just trying to be antagonistic?

"What's in a name? that which we call "coveralls"
By any other name would look just as horrible with CANEX leather jacket" or something like that...

Honestly, why is it so offensive to refer to it as coveralls? I've worked many a job where I wore something that looked like a 'flight suit' but we called them coveralls. What is so offensive about that, exactly? I just Googled it and half the company's that make them refer to them as "flyer's coveralls."

Oranges vs Oranges?

ballz said:
"What's in a name? that which we call "coveralls"
By any other name would look just as horrible with CANEX leather jacket" or something like that...

Honestly, why is it so offensive to refer to it as coveralls? I've worked many a job where I wore something that looked like a 'flight suit' but we called them coveralls. What is so offensive about that, exactly? I just Googled it and half the company's that make them refer to them as "flyer's coveralls."

Oranges vs Oranges?

It isn't offensive, it's just that in 25+ years of service I've never heard anyone refer to a flight suit, in day-to-day language, as coveralls just as I've never heard anyone refer to CADPAT, or combats, as their jacket and trousers either, but those are the names used on the garment tags for both of those clothing items.

Sleep tight in your jacket and trousers.

I refer to them as a shirt, t-shirt, and pants pretty routinely? It has nothing to do with what's on the tag for me. When I wore those I was working in the oil sands and they were coveralls. I have had almost zero interaction with the Air Force in my short career, so I saw a set of coveralls and called it coveralls. Only when you said "flight suit" did I remember that aircrew call it that, it's all just lingo to me.

No antagonist intentions meant my friend. :salute:

Back to the topic at hand, this idea had potential and was a complete fail in execution. There are a ton of sharp-looking jackets that show up under "olive flight jacket" or bomber jacket that would look real sharp/professional over the olive flight suit, and be functional as well. Our members have been undersold again.

Poppa said:
Seeing that poster I no longer feel bad about my haircut/burns

Advertising fail. Three observations:

1. Sideburns. Yeah, it's chair force, but c'mon. At least pick a 'model' with a regulation hairdo.

2. Hat. For the love of god, couldn't they put his wedge on straight before taking the picture?

3. Cap badge. Not sure what it is (Log maybe?) but it sure isn't Air Ops. Must've just grabbed the first wedge they found in the costume box and flopped it on his melon.

Bottom line, the ad looks amateur with a product to match. It's a questionable piece of non-essential kit with a steep price tag and kindergarten marketing. How long until we see pallets of them available on Crown Assets Disposal?

bigzoomie said:
Advertising fail. Three observations:

1. Sideburns. Yeah, it's chair force, but c'mon. At least pick a 'model' with a regulation hairdo.

2. Hat. For the love of god, couldn't they put his wedge on straight before taking the picture?

3. Cap badge. Not sure what it is (Log maybe?) but it sure isn't Air Ops. Must've just grabbed the first wedge they found in the costume box and flopped it on his melon.

Bottom line, the ad looks amateur with a product to match. It's a questionable piece of non-essential kit with a steep price tag and kindergarten marketing. How long until we see pallets of them available on Crown Assets Disposal?

Good catch. CANEX is selling this I take it?

I bet the model in the photo isn't even RCAF. Plus he needs a haircut.

Back