• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Officers Once Again to Wear the Executive Curl

Does the RAF still wear a cloth belt with a shiny normal civvy buckle? Also the RAF used to have shiny buttons, as opposed to CF dull finish ones.

I would say RNZAF.  RAF uniform has a black tie, and the tie in the photo is blue.  Also, RAF uniforms have a belt, which the uniform in the photo is lacking.

As to the expression on their faces, I would say it has nothing to do with the curls.  Those are pretty much the expressions those guys always have. ;D

PS:  They probably didn't have to pay to have their jackets done at Mia's.  I bet they were on the "list."

I work in NDHQ and today (Monday 14 June) there are executive curls on shoulder boards and slip-ons all over the place already. I must say, it does look classy. It looks like they used better gold thread than on the old ones so they're very shiny.

Was on Halifax all day.  Many of the Officers are sporting them.  Looks good, about time.  Bloody Hellyer.

Pencil Tech said:
I work in NDHQ and today (Monday 14 June) there are executive curls on shoulder boards and slip-ons all over the place already. I must say, it does look classy. It looks like they used better gold thread than on the old ones so they're very shiny.
I have a hunch that the one's you're seeing this early are using mess dress braid on tunics and shoulder boards (as I shall shortly do). From pictures I've seen elsewhere, it looks like silk braid will be de rigeur.

No, I confirmed this with the DND tailors.  It will be metal braid all-round (except for the embroidered slip-ons).  Silk doesn't curl.

Whatever it is - the mess dress quality braid does curl - that is what most of us will be sporting.

I think the big difference might be that mess kit tailors usually use 5% gold braid and I believe the CF specs only call for 2% gold; however, don't quote me on that.  The size of the braid and the spacing is the same though.  Shoulder boards and tunics appear to be straight forward, but it will be interesting to see if some folks opt for braid vice embroidered slip-ons.

I think a braid version of slip-ons would be too thick to be comfortable. The way the curl is made, it had almost a 1/4 inch to the thickness, it would probably feel like wearing the sweater with shoulder boards on which is not too great a feeling and in my opinion, looks kind of strange... also the wavy part would probably catch in the wool sweater or in the NCD jacket interior...

but for the shoulder boards, the new braid curl certainly had some "bling" to our already awesome uniform ;D

Started seeing alot of curls in Vic today - at first I thought we were still being over run by Aussies and Kiwis from IFR, but then the neurons started synapsing again...

MM

Pusser said:
Shoulder boards and tunics appear to be straight forward, but it will be interesting to see if some folks opt for braid vice embroidered slip-ons.

The metal braid will not be authorized for the slip-ons.

Little bit of an update on the SSI: (Email rec'd via many from Cdr Houle who is the overseer of this program):

1.  Further to our discussion this morning, I am forwarding info on the Sea Service Insignia (SSI).

BACKGROUND

2.  The Minister of National Defence announced the introduction of the Sea Service Insignia (SSI) on 2 May 2010.  The SSI is meant to recognize the significance of service at sea by all CF personnel.

3.  All those serving in the CF on 1 Jan 2010 will be eligible to receive the SSI as they meet the required minimum sea-days.  A sea-day will be defined as a minimum of 8 hours at sea and/or at anchor.

ISSUE

4.  Initial feedback has indicated that the original sea-day qualification levels may be too high and revised sea-day qualification levels are currently being examined.

Original Qualifying Sea-Days

Level 1 - Gun Metal 365 days;
Level 2 - Copper 1095 days;
Level 3 - Silver 1460 days, and
Level 4 - Gold 1825 days.

Revised Qualifying Sea-Days

Level 1 - Gun Metal 365 days (1 year) (no change);
Level 2 - Copper 730 days ( 2 years);
Level 3 - Silver 1095 days (3 years), and
Level 4 - Gold 1460 days (4 years).

5.  To date, sea-day counts have been completed for 3,028 MARCOM personnel with the following results:

Original Sea-Day Qualification Method

No level - 1,729 pers  - 57.1%
Level 1 -  987 pers  - 32.5%
Level 2 -  209 pers  - 6.9%
Level 3 -  84 pers    - 2.77%
Level 4 -  19 pers    - .6%

Revised Sea-Day Qualification Method

No Level - 1,729 pers - 57.1%
Level 1  -  631 pers  - 20.8%
Level 2  -  356 pers  - 11.75%
Level 3  -  209 pers  -  6.99%
Level 4  -  103 pers  -  3.4%

6.  As can be seen from the data above, the revised sea-day qualification method would allow for more personnel to qualify for Levels 2, 3 and 4 and therefore may be a better qualification model given the results above.  The question to be answered is "What should be the target percentages for each Level, especially, Level 3 and level 4.  In other words, do you believe that the Revised Sea-Day Qualification Method is the better model? 

We shall see where this one goes next.

Time to ask a stupid question. A sea day is a minimum 8 hours at sea or anchor. I assume this is per calandar day so that you can't get a 3 for 1 deal?

Time to ask a second stupid question. Of the 3000 plus files checked, 52% did not qualify for any SSI level? Did they start with Base personnel that have never gone to sea or aren't in an actual sea trade? 

Pat in Halifax said:
Little bit of an update on the SSI: (Email rec'd via many from Cdr Houle who is the overseer of this program):

1.  Further to our discussion this morning, I am forwarding info on the Sea Service Insignia (SSI).

BACKGROUND

2.  The Minister of National Defence announced the introduction of the Sea Service Insignia (SSI) on 2 May 2010.  The SSI is meant to recognize the significance of service at sea by all CF personnel.

3.  All those serving in the CF on 1 Jan 2010 will be eligible to receive the SSI as they meet the required minimum sea-days.  A sea-day will be defined as a minimum of 8 hours at sea and/or at anchor.

ISSUE

4.  Initial feedback has indicated that the original sea-day qualification levels may be too high and revised sea-day qualification levels are currently being examined.

Original Qualifying Sea-Days

Level 1 - Gun Metal 365 days;
Level 2 - Copper 1095 days;
Level 3 - Silver 1460 days, and
Level 4 - Gold 1825 days.

Revised Qualifying Sea-Days

Level 1 - Gun Metal 365 days (1 year) (no change);
Level 2 - Copper 730 days ( 2 years);
Level 3 - Silver 1095 days (3 years), and
Level 4 - Gold 1460 days (4 years).

5.  To date, sea-day counts have been completed for 3,028 MARCOM personnel with the following results:

Original Sea-Day Qualification Method

No level - 1,729 pers  - 57.1%
Level 1 -  987 pers  - 32.5%
Level 2 -  209 pers  - 6.9%
Level 3 -  84 pers    - 2.77%
Level 4 -  19 pers    - .6%

Revised Sea-Day Qualification Method

No Level - 1,729 pers - 57.1%
Level 1  -  631 pers  - 20.8%
Level 2  -  356 pers  - 11.75%
Level 3  -  209 pers  -  6.99%
Level 4  -  103 pers  -  3.4%

6.  As can be seen from the data above, the revised sea-day qualification method would allow for more personnel to qualify for Levels 2, 3 and 4 and therefore may be a better qualification model given the results above.  The question to be answered is "What should be the target percentages for each Level, especially, Level 3 and level 4.  In other words, do you believe that the Revised Sea-Day Qualification Method is the better model? 

We shall see where this one goes next.

Are they going to audit the Navres people in Halifax too or do we have to wait several years to have it done in Quebec?

Stoker said:
Are they going to audit the Navres people in Halifax too or do we have to wait several years to have it done in Quebec?

And how about those now serving in other elements?

Back