• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy guys want the converged CADPAT raingear (From: Naval Officers to Wear the Executive Curl)

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
J

jollyjacktar

It's raining today here in Halifax.  As I was coming into the Dkyd this morning I observed the Cpl at the gate was wearing the new CADPAT Gortex Raingear.  It made me think about all the fuss with uniforms here, insignia and badges there.  Here as a Sailor I am stuck with lousy raingear (canary suit) and even lousier long johns (white, waffle pattern crap) when compaired against the CADPAT kids clothes.  I, would love to see suitable Gortex rain gear above all and decent long johns for starters.  That's something that is broken and should be fixed.  Let the Officers have the Curl, but save the rest of the money being spend on crap like SSI and the like and use it towards some usefull gear.

JJT, the irony was that the Air Force (dare I say it) was actually leading the pack on Gore-tex raingear.  I feared for my safety in AFG not because of the Taliban, but from my Army brethren jealously eying my 2-in-1 Gore-tex rain jacket and sizing me up...wasn't sure I wouldn't wake up one day bound and gore-tex-less...

Point is a good one that often things such as perspective get lost in place of a bit of flash here and there.  Yellow rubber sou'westers and curls is but one example. 

then again, CADPAT wouldn't look very pusser on a sailor!  ;)

Well, here's a possibility: Let's just agree to start using the army Cadpat rain gear. There is a long tradition of the Navy wearing Army gear when suitable under the circumstances. I am sure nobody in supply would reject a move that actually reduces the number of different clothing items they have to store and manage. And if anybody says that  "real seaman don't wear camouflage" I suggest that they look up the Royal Australian Navy sea going uniform: Its a black-grey-tan camo.

And don't give me "we wont see them if they fall overboard" unless someone can recall  a single person falling overboard wearing the canary suit but not a positive buoyancy lifejacket or inflatable life vest at the same time (both of which are highly visible). In fact, as everybody knows, we hide the reflective portions of our black floater jackets and any one falling overboard with them would have to strip the covers to be seen. And if you fall overboard on a sunny day (or night) in warm weather, your NCD is all black.  So ...

jollyjacktar said:
I, would love to see suitable Gortex rain gear above all

And thus why I said the above.  I have seen other Navies wearing a black/dark blue HH or like gear.  It's out there.  The new CADPAT gear jacket I saw this morning is geared towards wearing underneath a tac vest or frag vest as it had pockets on the arms.  Logical progression in suitability.  So with all the earlier pattern gear out there being turned into the system perhaps some could come our way.  I don't mind the thougt of looking like a pickle and being comfortable vs a canary and bloody uncomfortable.  But given my druthers I would rather it in a Sailor colour.

I agree with you all on the raincoat issue. However, this is a topic that we need to press our Chiefs on so that they can convey our wishes in turn to the Formations Chiefs. Eventually, the dress committee will have to address the subject. Personally, I think that if we can have green and tan CADPAT Gortex raincoats, the black/blue shouldn't be a stretch.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Well, here's a possibility: Let's just agree to start using the army Cadpat rain gear.
There is no "Army" raingear.  The Army and Air Force both agreed to converge their requirements and the CF is now buying a "Converged" raingear for both environments and operational units of Land Force and Air Commands.

If the Navy wants the same jacket, they would just have to put some capital funds into the pot to procure jackets for the initial issue.

It took long enough for the Army to get on board with the AF regarding the Converged Raingear. The Navy would have to open a new contract for additional sets. Hello PWGSC :crybaby:

As I recall from my (very) brief time in contact with the Navy they were - with very good reason - paranoid about fire and flash burns. Would that be an issue that keeps us from issuing the Navy with synthetic rain gear and long johns?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Well, here's a possibility: Let's just agree to start using the army Cadpat rain gear.

Sounds good, but there`s STILL people in Army Units (and others wearing Army uniforms elsewhere) who are anxiously awaiting their issue of the raingear.

:-\

daftandbarmy said:
As I recall from my (very) brief time in contact with the Navy they were - with very good reason - paranoid about fire and flash burns. Would that be an issue that keeps us from issuing the Navy with synthetic rain gear and long johns?

The Air Force had the same concerns and they were first to the doorstep.  ;)

ArmyVern said:
The Air Force had the same concerns and they were first to the doorstep.  ;)

:nod:

I'm sure it was retained in the converged ICE design (AF-Army) but the original AF 2-in-1 gore-tex rain jacket had static-dissipative fiber woven into the material and met anti-static requirements sufficient to allow personnel to wear this gear while refueling CF aircraft.

As for fire retardant qualities, I only know of the CF aircrew lightweight/winter jackets and winter flying pants that have an outer layer of Nomex material with an inner gore-tex lining to address both water-resistence and fire-retardant qualities.

Regards
G2G

ArmyVern said:
Sounds good, but there`s STILL people in Army Units (and others wearing Army uniforms elsewhere) who are anxiously awaiting their issue of the raingear.

Thank you for thinking of me ;D

I have seen some people going around with a black gortex type of rain gear. I believe some ships were issued it as a trial, what came of that I wonder. I still like to sea us go to a one piece coverall, however the committees that have looked at that is comprised of C1's that think coveralls are "lazy".

While the new rain gear is ALOT better than the old stuff. For those of us who actually remember wearing the Nylon "rain jacket" after soaking it in Silicon know it's a huge improvement.

One thing though...it does not do very well in a driving, persistent over hours rain. It does leak and does allow water in. After all, Gortex can only do so much. I've worn the entire suit with a stealth suit and Neos and still got drenched all over after a few hours.

I wouldn't be too quick to turn in the slicker yet. I'm sure you sailors have been through some wicked rain storms on a rolling sea that would make torrents on land look like a lawn sprinkler.

My $0.02 worth.

Regards

I'm an abnormal sailor in that I've been issued a lot of the kit talked about above....

From the "rubber" rain gear I was issued in Cornwallis where we painted the seams with silicon to seal it.

To the Yellow Canary suits on a half dozen ships, and a couple of hemispheres.

To the US Army rubber rain jacket from the mid '90s that was the "cat's meow" at the time (you didn't need to seal the seams!!! that was pre-done!)

I have the current nylon-ish green rain-gear with my green kit, and was delighted at the temporary issue of a set of the new Gore-tex gear when I went to Bisley in '08 (borrowed from the Airforce and had to return it....)

I now have a grey stealth-suit that goes nicely under green gear.

I've tried a lot of different options out, and of the various issued pieces of gear, in various bits of weather from North Atlantic, to Mediterranian to Baltic, to Persian Gulf, to Gagetown, Pet, the UK, and various spots in between, the universality that I've noted between EVERY one of these pieces of gear, was that at some point, I got wet.

No matter how "good" the rain gear was, I got wet.

In '09 in Bisley, my preffered "rain" gear was my Stealth suit upper, over a wicking fiber shirt, under my combats, with the body armour on top to act as a nice warm vest, my tac-vest riding on top of that, and when I had the opportunity to stand up off the firing point, I'd put a rain jacket over top just to help keep some of the heat in.

I got soaked.  To the bone.  To the point that I have a photo of me pouring the water out of my shooting log book.  Except for my upper body.  My core stayed dry, so I stayed warm.  The wicking fiber drew a bit of the wet up from my pants, but not much.

I accept the fact that when the rain comes, the only parts of me that I want to keep dry are the lenses of my glasses, and keep the heat into my upper body a bit.

Having been issued all that kit, none of it has kept me "dry".  Over the years, it's progressively gotten better at keeping me "less wet", but never dry.

Should the Navy invest in some new rain gear?  Sure.  When we have some money it'd be a fine idea.

In the meantime, I've got my stealth suit handy.  Thank-you RCR Kit-shop!

NS

Oldgateboatdriver said:
And if anybody says that “real seaman don't wear camouflage" I suggest that they look up the Royal Australian Navy sea going uniform: It’s a black-grey-tan camo.
Likewise the USN with their Navy Working Uniform.  These uniforms are not intended to be camouflage uniforms but rather the USN realized that a solid pattern uniform shows heavy wear areas much more predominantly than a multicoloured pattern and often a small stain or spot of paint renders a single coloured uniform not wearable.

Camouflage is intended to mask the wearers presence, not to hide his sloppiness. We all know tomato sauce is hard to get out of anything, but the issue of Cadpat Raingear doesn't solve this dilemma. The AF has a monopoly on Cadpat Parkas...why, because the paid for them. Even though they don't ever use the garment to its full potential.

Tango18A said:
Camouflage is intended to mask the wearers presence, not to hide his sloppiness. We all know tomato sauce is hard to get out of anything, but the issue of Cadpat Raingear doesn't solve this dilemma.
Like gravy off a Strathconas tunic?  ;D

Tango18A said:
The AF has a monopoly on Cadpat Parkas...why, because the paid for them. Even though they don't ever use the garment to its full potential.
How does the Airforce not use this garment to its full potential? I see lots of Techs in my squadron and other squadrons outside in the rain fixing airplanes with their rain gear on.
I also see them wearing it on cool days.
The refletor tabs are great on active taxiways?
And the pockets are fleece lined to keep your hands warm.

The tab on the inside pocket holds your ear defenders on when your not using them.

ArmyVern said:

Yup - still don't have mine - and nor did I when I last served in a field unit from 06-08...

mover1 said:
Like gravy off a Strathconas tunic?  ;D
How does the Airforce not use this garment to its full potential? I see lots of Techs in my squadron and other squadrons outside in the rain fixing airplanes with their rain gear on.
I also see them wearing it on cool days.
The refletor tabs are great on active taxiways?
And the pockets are fleece lined to keep your hands warm.

The tab on the inside pocket holds your ear defenders on when your not using them.

The ICE Parka. I don't think they are wearing that at all on cool days. In Edmonton I can't get a CADAPT ICE Parka issued to me as they are only for 408 Tac Hel Sqn. So I have a OG Parka instead, with Cadpat pants it looks Cadetish. And I tend to stay away from the Gravy, it makes my butt too big. ;D

Back