• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Officers Once Again to Wear the Executive Curl

One more time.  The Senate, the Prime Minister, The Commons, the char lady in the Parliamentary scoff hall, even the GG herself, cannot bestow a Royal Charter on anything.  The Sovereign granted it once, Canada tossed it away, and only the sovereign can re-issue it.

pegasus454 said:
  While it is nice to have the Officers to get their traditional ranks  back again, it should have never been taken away, when are the NCO's and M/S and below get there Naval rank insignia back.

This should not be only for the officers but for all naval personnel.

Hopefully the senate will return the designation of Royal to the Canadian Nay so that once again we are know as the Royal Canadian Navy,  as the editorial in last Saturdays Globe and Mail highly recommended the senate do as it being debated within that chamber of sober second thought.

Agreed. Might be be as bold as to suggest that you write both Member of Parliament indicating your opinion on this subject, as well as each Senator from your province / territory?

As per the Royal part, yes, only the Queen can give it back. But we can, at the very least, nicely ask for it back. Her Royal Majesty isn't going to just go and change our name without provocation.

Hand-written that is. E-mails and printed letters don't give quite as much of an impact.

If advised by her Canadian Prime Minister, the Queen of Canada would happily give back the royal title.  That's how a constitutional monarchy works.  Thus the debate in the Senate is valid.  Whether it leads to anything is another question...

As of today, slip-ons for use with DEU and NCD are available at the CFSU(O) clothing stores.

Any word on when they will be available in Halifax?

By the way here is what they look like (note picture taken from another form).

Blatch said:
Any word on when they will be available in Halifax?

They have been shipped to MARPAC, MARLANT and NAVRES (CFB Valcartier). Not sure when clothing stores will have them available>

I've been told that officers taking part in the IFR (liaison officers etc.) will receive them before the rest of us...

KrazyHamburglar said:
I've been told that officers taking part in the IFR (liaison officers etc.) will receive them before the rest of us...

Makes sense, I headed up north on the 24th I was hoping to get my issue before then.

KrazyHamburglar said:

I guess I have to correct myself... I just got my new slip ons from the taylor in Halifax, but the shoulder boards are not in yet... you can always order them
but at 95$ it's pretty expensive

The Slip-Ons are in?

How many sets they give you?

I went to Quinpool Tailor and Joe quoted me $75.

I received 3 sets, as for ol' crusty Joe, it's in his interest to do them cheaper... I'll probably go there myself

KrazyHamburglar said:
I received 3 sets, as for ol' crusty Joe, it's in his interest to do them cheaper... I'll probably go there myself

That was odd having to sign for the slip-ons but nice to have them. Joe has the same moves every time no matter how simple the tailoring is he always responds with "Jesus christ," followed by a mile long stare out the window.

sxocgi.jpg

They're probably thinking about how much it cost to have the Executive Curl gold braid sewn on at Mia's.  ;D

I'm checking out the Air Force officer's sleeves.

kratz said:

I was noticing that myself...

On another note, is it just me, or does the ribbon bar worn by the the Capt (N) in the picture look higher than normal on the Naval DEU jacket; He's obviously wearing them above the breast pocket, but it looks like the way the jacket is tailored more in the style of the pre-unification/Royal Navy jacket with ribbons worn substantially higher.

kratz said:

Don't anybody go and get any stupid ideas.

Matt_Fisher said:
I was noticing that myself...

On another note, is it just me, or does the ribbon bar worn by the the Capt (N) in the picture look higher than normal on the Naval DEU jacket; He's obviously wearing them above the breast pocket, but it looks like the way the jacket is tailored more in the style of the pre-unification/Royal Navy jacket with ribbons worn substantially higher.

Looks correct to me with the bottom of the ribbon running parallel to the top of the pocket.

Back