• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Officers Once Again to Wear the Executive Curl

Occam said:
And how about those now serving in other elements?

A soon to be released CANFORGEN will answer your questions wrt pers serving in other elements and NAVRES.

Les Parsimoniae:
Thank You!!!
For the Mods, I see this has turned into a cat fight on another thread. If you want to 'purge' all this re my email posting, go ahead - Last thing on my mind was what seems to have transpired. I was trying to encourage people to respond to the proposal in the email - as was requested by the author of said email.

Maybe, just maybe, some decisions are better left to the 'boys' rather than the 'adults'.  (Cryptic for the coast rather than the 'Centre').

Pat in Halifax said:
Besides, what is the secret?? Why would you NOT want to broadcast the idea being considered?

PatinH, If you look at the dist list, you will quickly see it was meant for input mainly from the C1 level. I do not think it is productive to send an email to the entire Navy requesting their input. I trust in the comments from the C1s.
Moreover, decisions are not topically made by engaging the entire population.

I am not saying discussion is bad, I think this forum is a great tool to discuss issues. However, I question posting internal documents to the site.

From the email:
"This is a unique opportunity to have input into the sea day qualification levels for the SSI. Please give max dist"

Pat in Halifax said:
From the email:
"This is a unique opportunity to have input into the sea day qualification levels for the SSI. Please give max dist"
Posting it seems reasonable to me.  That doesn't mean that the OPI will accept 'advice' from emails signed "I_am_a_sailor_trust_me@hotmail.com" etc but it is certainly an effective (and 21st century) way to get the message out.

Pat in Halifax said:
From the email:

I don't dispute what was written wrt "max distribution". However, I am surprised you don't see a difference between distribution within the CF, and releasing a document onto a public forum. 

DND's obsessive insistence that information needs to be kept from those who needs it routinely handicaps its efforts to improve.

News Flash:  not all service members spend their days glued to a monitor.  Using social media or other means to distribute routine information is an optimal solution to improve the disemination of information.

In other news, DND's routine attemtps to frustrate public access to information are doomed to failure.  The attempts to secure all information mean that truly important information security is ignored, as the important information gets lost in the cloud of the rest of the drivel.

Information represents power, and DND's attempts at information control are all about some individuals attempting to assert power over others - there is no solid policy or security reason to restrict information, only a desire by some to be seen as important.

In these instances, we're debating baubles (with no GiC implications).  That information has no restrictions on release.

The sooner DND/CF remember that they are accountable to the public and thus must provide maximum transparency in their activities, the better off we will all be.

Frankly, if people don't want it posted on the internet, they'd best be slapping at least a "Protected A" upon that document.

gcclarke said:
Frankly, if people don't want it posted on the internet, they'd best be slapping at least a "Protected A" upon that document.

That was the argument I tried to make, but it fell on deaf ears.  Regardless of the subject of the material - any material - if it requires special handling, it's the responsibility of the originator to identify what type of special handling is required.  It has been that way for a very long time.  For example, if a message which contains CANEYES ONLY material has the wrong caveat placed on it by the originator, and is sent via a CAN/US network, it'll be the originator that pays for it, not the communications personnel.

Now, if we could move a little closer back to the original theme of this thread:

Did everyone notice that the Duke of Edinburgh was wearing a Canadian naval uniform during the Fleet Review in Halifax yesterday (complete with only six buttons, CNC pin and pilot's wings worn on the breast)?  This is the first time I've ever seen him in a naval uniform that wasn't RN.

Yes, and I was curious as to whether he was wearing the uniform of an Admiral of the Fleet given that is what he wears as an RN uniform.  But in counting the rings, I see that he is merely a full admiral in Canada.

Well, Admiral is the highest rank in our Navy. I'd rather see him wearing this ultimate rank than wearing the funky sort of scrambled not quite know what rank that the Governor-General wears when she wears a naval uniform.

Pointless but interesting (to me at least) constitutional / military law question:  Can the Governor-General of Canada as CIC of Canadian Forces issue a lawful order to HRH Prince Philip in his capacity as a Canadian admiral?  (Feel free to split off to another topic if this shouldn't be here.)

Privateer said:
Pointless but interesting (to me at least) constitutional / military law question:  Can the Governor-General of Canada as CIC of Canadian Forces issue a lawful order to HRH Prince Philip in his capacity as a Canadian admiral?  (Feel free to split off to another topic if this shouldn't be here.)
Prince Phillip and Prince Charles are Honorary members of the CF in the same fashion as any other honorary appointee. 

Her Excellency is Commander in Chief of Canada ... and wears the CF uniform as appropriate at military ceremony. 

Thought some people might like to see the new stripes compared to Admirals from other navies. I found this picture on the US CNO's website, it was taken in Halifax while all the Admirals were here for the fleet review.

Enjoy!

36713_456604595728_169335995728_635.jpg

As an aside: the CMS looks much sharper with the new curl on his uniform than the CDS's army uniform  ;D

MSEng314 said:
Thought some people might like to see the new stripes compared to Admirals from other navies. I found this picture on the US CNO's website, it was taken in Halifax while all the Admirals were here for the fleet review.

Enjoy!

36713_456604595728_169335995728_635.jpg

As an aside: the CMS looks much sharper with the new curl on his uniform than the CDS's army uniform  ;D

Very spiffy, indeed. My initial skepticism was, thankfully, misplaced. Very nice to see; it may not be a new ship or more sailors but it is still a 'step up' for the Navy.

For anyone who was hesitant about the slip-ons sold by CP Gear/Wheeler, I picked up several sets today and they have revised the design.  They now resemble the issued slip-ons very closely (and may be identical -- I haven't seen an issued one in person to be able to say for sure).  I doubt that they will be distinguishable to the unaided eye.

Hello I support the mesure to bring back more Tradtion to our "Navy". While I am happy for the Officers it would be nice to see Tradtional Naval Ranks for the NCMs. Perhaps with a slightly modified Canadain Slant to them ex Master Seamen a Leaf and a Anchor ect as an example. A nice gesture for the Navy on it Birthday. Cheers :cheers: Splice the Main Brace

While I appreciate the sentiment of traditional, Canadianized ranks for the NCM corps, I don't think it's wise to go down that road. One of the effects of adding the curl was that the officer ranks are still essentially the same as they were before the curl. To wit that Lt(N) for example still looks like an army/air Capt... essentially. To modify the NCM ranks would just lead to unnecessary confusion. It's already a challenge for our army and air brethren and sisteren to address us appropriately without throwing new badges into the mix. My  :2c:

Back