• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Let's get rid of the Beret (or at least tell logistik unicorp theirs suck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good2Golf said:
Geo, forage caps are still authorized for use with AF orders of Deu dress (they used to be authorized with flying clothing, believe it or not...up to mid-90's).

G2G

There is a movement afoot!!  After just finishing the pilot training program (except for the f***in' OTU!!  :brickwall:), I can report that among the ranks of the pilot trainees, there is a large movement to reinstate the Forage Cap into widespread use!  As G2G stated, it is still authorized for use, and is readily available on the logistik unicorps website.  Almost everyone I knew in MJ had ordered or was planning on ordering their Forage Cap..  In fact, they (whomever 'they' are) have started to order / produce the large AF Cap badge that used to adorn the Forage cap! 

Unite!!

For this young grasshopper, I would love to see us go back to the RCAF traditions (uni, ranks etc...), but if not, I say we keep what traditions we have (ie. Forage Cap for Officers / Wedge for NCM's)  FOR DEU's....  That being said, the CF Forage Cap with flight suit looks absolutely horrid.  I saw some portly Maj from AETE in Cold Lake back in 2004 wearing his FC in a flight suit...  The brits can pull it off but their FC's look much like they used to in WWII..  Not so bus-driver-y

hippie said:
There is a movement afoot!!  After just finishing the pilot training program (except for the f***in' OTU!!   :brickwall:), I can report that among the ranks of the pilot trainees, there is a large movement to reinstate the Forage Cap into widespread use!  As Duey stated, it is still authorized for use, and is readily available on the logistik unicorps website.  Almost everyone I knew in MJ had ordered or was planning on ordering their Forage Cap..  In fact, they (whomever 'they' are) have started to order / produce the large AF Cap badge that used to adorn the Forage cap!  

Unite!!

For this young grasshopper, I would love to see us go back to the RCAF traditions (uni, ranks etc...), but if not, I say we keep what traditions we have (ie. Forage Cap for Officers / Wedge for NCM's)  FOR DEU's....   That being said, the CF Forage Cap with flight suit looks absolutely horrid.  I saw some portly Maj from AETE in Cold Lake back in 2004 wearing his FC in a flight suit...   The brits can pull it off but their FC's look much like they used to in WWII..   Not so bus-driver-y

Someone who wants a forage cap has obviously never worn a forage cap for any length of time.

They take up room,
they are inconvenient - walk into an office/mess/store... where do you store your cap?

Having worn one for many years, I am more than happy to have relegated mine to the supply system's waste bin.

I'd wear the forage cap with flying gear just to make a statement...although one does have to remove the plastic hula-hoop from inside...then it carries a little bit of panache and daring do!  ;D  The irony is that the wedge evolved from the Army's field service cap...so it is not at all a "distinctive" Air Force piece of kit...short of looking assinine with combats -- combats whould be beret, helmet or floppy hat only.

G2G

Head dress,always a pet peeve of mine.I counted the number I was issued in 26yrs. of service
and came up with the incredeble number of 16 I have listed them as it would take too long to
describe them individualy.
                Chinese mk.1
                Summer bush hat-one of my fovorites
                Balaclava
                Beret dk. blue
                Forage cap dk. blue red band
                Steel helmet WW2
        Unification
                beret green
                Ballcap green*
                Ballcap green with earflaps*
                Forage cap green
                Green toque
                Floppy combat hat
                Steel helmet U.S.
                Winter tea cozzie,imitation astrakan*
                Beret maroon Paki
                Steel helmet jump
      This was the same army that could not in 26yrs. issue me decent rain gear or winter combat
pants,makes one wonder about their priorities.
*These hats I never wore.
Just after unification I saw,in Borden I think,a group of PPCLI offs. wearing the green wedge cap,
what was that about?.
                          Regards

Well What Can I say. I have ordered the Sky Blue Bealmoral. I will be wearing to work by the end of next week. Don't believe me? Just keep your eyes on the routine orders under the charges section.

Still wearing my wedge. Out of points till April.
But I do have my turban........

Seriously I hate the Beret. Yes it look good but its not very practical.

JR84 said:
BernDawg,
I think that you are right, but i think that you need to start fishing first...LOL

CHIMO
Ouch!  That hurts man. Ya cut me. Ya cut me deep!  You're right though. LOL.  Lets have a go as soon as that dory of yours is shovelled out.

Crongrats BTW dad!

Time Expired.

I'm not ex-PPCLI, but as a kid I lived in Victoria during the 70s when 3VP was stationed there, and remember seeing the wedge cap too.  There was an article in one of the early Sentinel magazines that explained that a rifle green wedge cap was standard (pre integration) head dress for bn officers.  It wasn't quite an air force style tho'; it had French grey piping and a small rosette mounted on the front.

Good2Golf said:
I'd wear the forage cap with flying gear just to make a statement...although one does have to remove the plastic hula-hoop from inside...then it carries a little bit of panache and daring do!  ;D   The irony is that the wedge evolved from the Army's field service cap...so it is not at all a "distinctive" Air Force piece of kit...short of looking assinine with combats -- combats whould be beret, helmet or floppy hat only.

G2G

Hoola-hoop out, get it damp and put a head-set over it for a few days for that "50 Mission Cap" look!

mmmm 50 missions cap.... I think the FC looks great on parade, but I have to agree with those who says its unpractical. I had to wear one when I was on patrol in a PC.... it was a PAIN....PAIN PAIN PAIN. Never again shall I wear one of those on a regular patrol basis!

Inch said:
Hoola-hoop out, get it damp and put a head-set over it for a few days for that "50 Mission Cap" look!

You might just as well put that Greyhound or Texaco badge on it - - it's still a forage cap  ;)

Journeyman said:
You might just as well put that Greyhound or Texaco badge on it - - it's still a forage cap   ;)

Jealous?  ;)

Good2Golf said:
the wedge ... is not at all a "distinctive" Air Force piece of kit.

Yet the a** f**ce is still absolutely smitten with it, decades after the Army declared it obsolete. No further comment by me is necessary.

I love the airforce bashing its so......well ARMY.. ;)
I have a solution.
We could redesign the cap to make it more practical/stylish. But then again the CTS could not think outside the box when designing the new uniforms so we would be stuck with something horrible like the current issue forage cap. Too much traditionalist thinking runs amuck when proposing such things.

I still think a WW1 style trench cap would fit the bill. Soft comfy and practical.
Or a ball cap.

Remember when the Tilley cap was cool.

Oh ya the original white one.  I loved getting jacked on a job site just to inform them that it was issued at clothing stores.  Still got it, still wear it.

I actually wore the wedge with the flaps unfolded and pulled down to protect my face and chin.  BCWO freaked on me until I pulled out the page of the 265 (of course, you knew I was prepared for this) and showed him the picture that actually showed it worn that way.  He couldn't believe it.  I told him that I was surprised at his astonishment, especially given that it was clearly shown in the CFP-265 and that I understood that many BCWO's sleep with a copy of the 265 under their pillows...  >:D 

G2G

Heh...
Did he try to swat you with said 265?
something like a phone book - won't leave those annoying bruises that result in compaints & charges :)

Nice one G2G!!  I love finding out little things like that.  Not that I try to cause too many waves or anything..... :D

I do remember a company by the name of Dorthy Mills who made berets...to bad they still don't make them for the CF. They definitely made a  better hat than Logistik corp.

I actually like the Peaked Cap (forage cap for you army types) worn with Navy DEUS it's a sharp piece of kit and very Pusser (Naval). I'm old school though so never wear the beret except when serving on Army or Air Force Base in CADPAT. The Peaked Cap and woman's Bowler is a pain to pack when travelling.
We have a US Exchange Chaplain serving in my section and they have a tan wedge to wear with their Utilities (Khakis) and a black one to wear with their winter Dress of the Day. The sailors of course have the "Dixie Cup" or traditional USN sailor hat. The wedge actually looks kinda sharp and is alot easier when you are travelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back