• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Let's get rid of the Beret (or at least tell logistik unicorp theirs suck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mover1

Inactive
Reaction score
OK So there I was pulling my beret out of my pocket and to my great surprise it was ripped right above the cap badge. Well now I am in a hum dinger of a situation. No headdress. I order from Logistic unicorp and I can never get one that fits properly. As well as the fact that the quality sucks......

So I said f$%^ it and now I wear my wedge with my combats.  It fits and its comfortable plus its everybit as functional as a beret. After all what does a beret do. It holds a hat badge and goes on your head.

So lets talk about functionality. This past year I was a part of a  WW-1 reenactment. WE had our old piss pots but we also had what was called a trench cap. Think of a soft forge cap. Fits in the pocket and holds a hat badge plus it has a brim on it to keep the sun off your eyes. It looked pretty good to. In the winter the headdress was switched to another hat called the gore-blimey. ....it was a monstrous affair that was used in winter. The reason it was called a gore-blimey is because that is what the initial reaction to the thing was.....

So I guess the useless reason for this post is does anyone think we should adopt a new headdress or still keep the beret. And if you were the fashon police for the military what kind of head gear would you like. Any thoughts on the issue.....

Edited by Vern to correct topic title typo

here's my choice for issued headwear.
http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=234
Now all I have to do is get off me arse and order one for fishing on the weekends  ;D

BernDawg,
I think that you are right, but i think that you need to start fishing first...LOL

CHIMO

On a serious note, what other forms of headdress has the Canadian Mitiary worn?
I love my beret, mostly because everyone else over here wears a slouch hat and you get noticed with a beret on!

Stick with the beret.  It seperates us from US.  Derived from Brit tradition. 
Let's not delve into ball hats or floppy hats.
My 0.02 :salute:  {nice NEW saluting smilie!}

I sure like my berret....Im due to get a new one...and I would not see my self wear somehting else  :salute:

:)

Mover, while I may sympathise with you about the quality of the beret, I must ask... how old was your beret?
You are entitled to order two berets a year from Logistek & I am content to order one per year.... relegating last year's to "field" use while the new one becomes "garrison" dress.
If you are truly unhappy with the quality - file a complaint & Unsatisfactory condition report through your chain of command / supply system - in order to fix the problem once and for all.

While I have had all sorts of wear and tear issues with my berets over a 35 year period, never heard of the one you describe..... am certain the supply types would be interested.

BYTD - the US Army started wearing a black beret a while ago.... look it up
and I'm not even talking about the Green Berets....

Hale - what sort of caps does the CF wear?
Army - Beret, wide brim field cap, tuque / watch cap,
          glengarrys, balmorals, bearskin busbys, feather bonets, and a zillion other
          ancient orders of dress

Airforce - Beret, Wedge, Ball cap
Navy - Beret, Ball cap, Forage cap... watch cap
Rangers - Red Ball cap

The beret in general.  The US has Green Berets.  The Brits share our colour scheme.  
Why change our headgear?  
Oh grud, where's this going.  Ok, maybe a CADPAT ball hat with your cloth trade badge on it.  Many times we all would like the sun out of our eyes   :eek:  
I once had some Nat Guard lad offer me his M-16 for my green beret...uummm...Nope...what would I do with and M-16.

Ain't ADD great ???

edited to add: after reading geo's post.  I stand corrected.  I was having a hard time writing what I wanted to say. I agree with the ball cap idea.
BYTD out

Um Geo  I have been in the navy since 1989, whats a watch cap? That like a toque? ;D

yup.... Hey... I call it what I have been told it's called
(but yeah - a tuque - by any other name)

I am being a smart**s . But I have seen toque and tuque.  But which ever way I have always heard them refeered to as toques never a watch cap. Bet if I did I would have many confused people on my hands LOLOLOL.

Maybe the blue material is weaker and deficient.Not so strong as the black berets.I have not changed mine in well over 2 years.Prior when we were tankers and berets were made of Kevlar,I replaced once every six months.As we wore them in the field as our field headdress.

However now anytime you hit the training area it's berets off and floppy or toque on.I keep mine in a ziplock bag in my vehicle,in case someone important shows up wanting a "Garrison parade".Personally I have only seen RSM and CO with berets in the field,and that was very rare.Usually they played the game as the troops did.

I'm a fan of the beret.I usually freeze my ears near off before opting for a toque.For me it's a bit of pride in my shiny capbrass,which no other unit wears.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
I'm a fan of the beret.I usually freeze my ears near off before opting for a toque.For me it's a bit of pride in my shiny capbrass,which no other unit wears.

Well said.  ;D

I was trying for something like that. 
  :salute:

mover1 said:
OK So there I was pulling my beret out of my pocket and to my great surprise it was ripped right above the cap badge.
So, did the fun police down there say anything about it?

Gramps said:
So, did the fun police down there say anything about it?
...in Greenwood???  Probably not.  Wedges are allowed on that base with CADPAT.
:army:

BYT Driver said:
...in Greenwood???  Probably not.  Wedges are allowed on that base with CADPAT.
:army:
Mover1 will know who I am specifically referring to.

Headdress?  What's that?  Gotta love being at CFSACO!!  ;D

Farmers wear ballcaps, ball players wear ball caps, US soldiers wear ballcaps

CDN soldiers wear Berets. We already have enough American influence up here, we don't need anymore. In the Airforces case, it can be a beret or a wedge, depending what base your on.

I have a beret that's 17 years old, its seen 2 trips to the Balkans, Germany, Gagetown, Petawawa, Meaford and the only thing that's worn is the colour has faded, i framed it when i got out and hung it on the wall in my den.

"The Brits share our colour scheme"

I don't know about that.  I think only the Royal Marines wear green, thus keeping a somewhat special status for the colour, like the Americans, but unlike us.  Also, our artillery no longer wears blue, unlike the RA.

As for our Navy, berets have only become a tradition since unification (and they are a very un-naval headdress).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back