• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Let's get rid of the Beret (or at least tell logistik unicorp theirs suck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
retiredgrunt45 said:
Farmers wear ballcaps, ball players wear ball caps, US soldiers wear ballcaps

CDN soldiers wear Berets. We already have enough American influence up here, we don't need anymore. In the Airforces case, it can be a beret or a wedge, depending what base your on.

I have a beret that's 17 years old, its seen 2 trips to the Balkans, Germany, Gagetown, Petawawa, Meaford and the only thing that's worn is the colour has faded, i framed it when i got out and hung it on the wall in my den.

Actually, US soldiers wear berets now too... and of course, Canadian sailors wear ball caps..

And in reference to your beret, the gripe by the original poster was that the supplier we have now sucks... believe me, a logistik unicorp beret would't last 17 years ;)

NCSnotty said:
As for our Navy, berets have only become a tradition since unification (and they are a very un-naval headdress).

Maybe the Navy should go back to one of these:

Seaman%20Hat_small.jpg

hat002_small.jpg

I can just see it now, Relish men running around boats with those. hahaha.
I think we need a good quality beret, the Arti should get their dark blue berets back, airforce should wear their wedges.
One thing I hate seeing is NCM of the navy with the forge cap, doesn't look right if the army or airforce no longer wear it, every other navy in the world wears the seamans cap for NCMs and forge caps for. even the tunics don't look right. they should have that weird looking bib in the back like Popeye.
But then, they would look like a sea cadet corps...

British:
3.jpg

You could go even farther and compain about cadpat for all 3 forces. Why does the navy or airforce need cadpat unless operational? OD combats would have been fine.
Cadpat looks to aggressive :crybaby: I am afraid of walking down Rideau street at lunch time in Ottawa.. all those killers walking the streets.
;D I miss the garrison dress. (the tunic wasn't 100% but better looking for the public then complete cadpat) was a professional look. people tried harder to look sharp.

Bergeron,

You've been a member of the site long enough. Spell check, caps and punctuation please.

Thanks very much.

Librarian
Army.ca Staff

Edit: TYPO!!!  (Had to add an "s" to thanks!! );D

Sorry, really sick and tired in bed right now, didn't think about it. i'll do it now.

Ahoy!!! Well blow me down... I am soooooo getting this. Capt TN2IC... Arrr... I  be sailing the Five ton Recuriting, Strong and Proud truck. And Yes, that is a hornpipe in my pocket and I am happy to see you. Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

:skull:

hat002_small.jpg

I didnt know your navy had done away with the hat. Our guys wear it around all the time, they love them. I suppose its handy for them, it can double as a picnic table to eat their sandwiches off in an emergency!
Was the losing of the hat another of the unification things? They look very, very smick with those things on, i dont know why you'd let that one ever go.
...Arg...sorry, after TN2IC said it i couldnt resist.
Hoist the mainsail and lash the cat to the dog with a splice! Arg!

TN, for impersonating an officer and be so overly jolly...you shall "kiss the gunners daughter" 
I've noticed too that my blue beret is starting to fade after only two years.  My old green never faded so quickly.  Well, I guess that's why they give us all them points to use.  ;D

BYT Driver said:
Well, I guess that's why they give us all them points to use.   ;D

You mean those aren't for t-shirts and socks?  :eek:

Its cause out new berets are not protected from the holes in the Ozone and global warming,
They need UV proection.
200.jpg

Sig_Des said:
You mean those aren't for t-shirts and socks?  :eek:
...and belts...and ties...and shirts...and underwear...and cool grey t-shirts... ;D

Gramps said:
Mover1 will know who I am specifically referring to.

actually the fun police didn't say a thing. I think I have started a trend though because the a few of the kids in the shop can now been seen wearing the wedge too.
I used to have a black beret once. It was the Kevlar type we wore in the field with our headsets. Big old chunk of brass on it. when it got dirty you just ran a boot brush over it. But alas...
Yes every time I order a beret from Logistik unicorp I tell them that theirs is junk.
As for the beret. Yeah it looks good. But do you ever think we will change headdress to something more practical.

What would be more practical? I personally think that the beret is just fine. I do agree that the ones from the supply system are crap and the only thing they are good for is a rag. I bought my beret at CFSME, and I love it.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/headgear/cefch04.htm

had a chance to sport one of these brand new. Very practical. Plus they had a cool factor if you shaped it right. 

I know you saying its rather old fashoned  but, so are our combats. Yeah they are a new color but did we really evolve beyond 1960 with its design and functionality?!?!

You are right about the combats, they are out dated. I also agree that we never evolved from the 60's design.

Many long years ago, I remember reading an article about REFORGER in some US magazine, (it might have been something as silly as Soldier of Fortune, but I'm not sure).  There was a photo of a Canadian Lynx Crewman with the caption "Canadian Armoured Crewman pulls his headset over his eminently practical beret."  IIRC I passed beer through my nose when I read that.  Any person that would call a beret "eminently practical" never wore one.  After all, it doesn't keep the sun outta your eyes, the rain off the back of your neck, or the frost off your ears.

But....I always liked the beret, because it immediately identified me as a member of a Commonwealth army, and the dark green colour marked me as Canadian, (the berets worn by US Special Forces are a completely different shade). The beret is still a significant identifier for Canadian soldiers; notwithstanding the shortcomings noted above, I would hate to see it go the way of the FN rifle and the C42 Set. The problem of servicability is something else again tho'; my last beret lasted at least ten years, and I never heard of one ripping.  Sounds like a serious quality problem that needs to be addressed.

As far as the combat uniform goes, I was surprised it didn't get a redesign when CADPAT was adopted.  Those pockets were designed specifically for the FN magazine (each shirt carried 6), and since it's been--what, twenty years--since the FN was used, it seems a little silly to keep them.

mover1 said:
OK So there I was pulling my beret out of my pocket and to my great surprise it was ripped right above the cap badge. Well now I am in a hum dinger of a situation. No headdress. I order from Logistic unicorp and I can never get one that fits properly. As well as the fact that the quality sucks......

So I said f$%^ it and now I wear my wedge with my combats.  It fits and its comfortable plus its everybit as functional as a beret. After all what does a beret do. It holds a hat badge and goes on your head.

So lets talk about functionality. This past year I was a part of a  WW-1 reenactment. WE had our old piss pots but we also had what was called a trench cap. Think of a soft forge cap. Fits in the pocket and holds a hat badge plus it has a brim on it to keep the sun off your eyes. It looked pretty good to. In the winter the headdress was switched to another hat called the gore-blimey. ....it was a monstrous affair that was used in winter. The reason it was called a gore-blimey is because that is what the initial reaction to the thing was.....

So I guess the useless reason for this post is does anyone think we should adopt a new headdress or still keep the beret. And if you were the fashon police for the military what kind of head gear would you like. Any thoughts on the issue.....

Being the son of a Brit I think it would have been a Cor Blimey hat. Cor blimey is an expression of surprise.
http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/dictionary/dictionary.php?search=blimey

Signalman150 said:
Many long years ago, I remember reading an article about REFORGER in some US magazine, (it might have been something as silly as Soldier of Fortune, but I'm not sure).  There was a photo of a Canadian Lynx Crewman with the caption "Canadian Armoured Crewman pulls his headset over his eminently practical beret." 

Then there was the poster showing different NATO field uniforms. The Canadian photos showed one guy wearing a US rain jacket over a Norgie sweater and another one wearing red enemy force slip-ons.

My current beret was purchased from the Sigs Museum kit shop in Kingston several years ago and is holding up just fine. And I thoroughly despise wedges.

BYT Driver said:
TN, for impersonating an officer and be so overly jolly...you shall "kiss the gunners daughter" 
I've noticed too that my blue beret is starting to fade after only two years.  My old green never faded so quickly.  Well, I guess that's why they give us all them points to use.   ;D

Avast! Bilge!  it be thy base I'm on. Myself be a Landlubber. Now I shall wonder to NB Jetty and puke down to Davy Jones' locker. Feed the fish I shall... Shame on me. Arrr... where's me Bucko to? Cap'n Morgan

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle rum.

Fair winds Bucko! Be time now splice the mainbrace

:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back