• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JANUARY 2009 BMOQ

I've heard from other hopefulls that the Jan 5 BMOQ is now full. Can anyone "in the know" confirm or deny this?  ???

I received my offer for JAN 5th BMOQ start date today, thing is I am registered for another semester of school starting the same time so I have a decision to make pretty quick.

Artillery CEOTP is what I applied for and got.

Forget school! I did my BA in 6 years and found the mix of work / school to much more useful to both. Plus, it would not be a bad thing to have another Arty. type on the course.  ;D

jeffb said:
Plus, it would not be a bad thing to have another Arty. type on the course.  ;D

Oh yeah, like there aren't enough of you guys on this course already.  ::)  ;)

LuvsMud said:
I've heard from other hopefulls that the Jan 5 BMOQ is now full. Can anyone "in the know" confirm or deny this?  ???

I would like to know this as well. I went into my recruiters this past monday and they told me that if you haven't received your offer by December 5th, you are most likely not going to be in the course, as they like to give atleast one month notice to officer candidates.

So I am waiting until then and at that point, it looks like I have some choices to make.

ringer98 said:
I would like to know this as well. I went into my recruiters this past monday and they told me that if you haven't received your offer by December 5th, you are most likely not going to be in the course, as they like to give atleast one month notice to officer candidates.

So I am waiting until then and at that point, it looks like I have some choices to make.

I was told there are 2 more course dates for January - the 19th and 26th. That should give you a bit more time. :)

jeffb said:
Forget school! I did my BA in 6 years and found the mix of work / school to much more useful to both. Plus, it would not be a bad thing to have another Arty. type on the course.  ;D

Jeff can you rephrase that I didn't quite understand up until you mentioned Artillery.

I am going to the recruiting center here in Calgary tomorrow to let them know my concern and then see what is best to do.

On another note my mom totally freaked out, something to do with volunteering for the Combat arms in a time of conflict. ;)

Sure, sorry about that. I can relate to Mom freaking out thing.  :)

I did a BA in History while working as a political consultant. I started in 2002 after going to college full-time and just finished my last course this summer. As a result of the constant elections we have had (at the Federal and Provincial level), I found it rather hard to balance work and school. However, in doing so I learned some very valuable time management skills. More importantly though, I found that my work experience added significantly to education. The closer I got to the end of my degree, the easier I found the courses having gained real world experience that kept me grounded while surrounded by ivory tower types. I will say that the cost of this was finding myself at intellectual odds with some of my fellow students who tended to have little to no life experience which manifested itself in some rather comical, to me at least, views on the world.

In my experience, there is something very valuable in mixing meaningful work with your education to developing you as a person. Of course, you have to remain committed to finishing your studies as work opportunities do have a way of pulling you away from school. For me this was relatively easy due to my life-long goal of earning a degree so that I could become an officer in the CF.

At the end of the day though the best thing you can do is listen to the little voice inside you that tells you what is the right course of action. If you want to do you BMOQ now, do it. University will still be there in the summer. If you want to put off your BMOQ, the CF will be here as well.

As for my Artillery Officer reference, there are already quite a number of future Artillery Officer's on this BMOQ and there's been some discussion in the Facebook group back and forth about it. My comment was more directed at celticgirl.

Best of luck.

Jeff

I can relate to your story a bit there, I got my college diploma in Business, majoring in Accounting. I decided to go to work full-time in downtown Calgary in surprise surprise Oil and Gas. After a year I soon found myself bored to death behind a desk. I decided to get myself back into school full-time and finish off the business degree so I could get my professional accounting designation, like you I found the experience I gained from Industry gave me a huge advantage over everyone else and has also made my 4th year courses much easier.

I decided I needed some real adventure and challenges and here I am now a few courses away from my degree and going for Artillery Officer.

I am really excited to get going, but wow I only applied on September 14th and finished my Medical on October 22nd and bam here I am already. Some of you have definitely been waiting a while, I haven't even had a chance to get impatient.

Deebs said:
On another note my mom totally freaked out, something to do with volunteering for the Combat arms in a time of conflict. ;)

LOL I know what you mean, my parents were all for it until my mother saw my choices were infantry and artillery.

I see Jeff and I were both in the extra long degree program. I took two years off and worked full time at the local hospital... that was all the motivation I needed to get back to school.

Personally I think I'd finish my degree first just to get it over with if I was really close but that's just me and I can see merits to both choices... of course the more artillery officers we have there in January the easier it will be to vote Celticgirl off the isla... er never mind  :-X stupid out loud voice  :-[

Chortle said:
... of course the more artillery officers we have there in January the easier it will be to vote Celticgirl off the isla... er never mind  :-X stupid out loud voice  :-[

LMAO! Bring it on!  :threat:

Celticgirl said:
I was told there are 2 more course dates for January - the 19th and 26th. That should give you a bit more time. :)

I thought they only ran 4 courses a year for officers? Or is that 4 months a year with multiple dates in those months? Did you hear this from a creditable source?

ringer98 said:
I thought they only ran 4 courses a year for officers? Or is that 4 months a year with multiple dates in those months? Did you hear this from a creditable source?

I'm not sure about creditable, but credible, yes. ;)

I'm finally in, I had a long drawn out process myself, one thing or another. CEOTP Artillery. Can't wait, see you all there!

Anyone up for a run on Tuesday in Mississauga? 2 of us are getting together at Erindale Park for a 5 km. run. If you'd like to join us, PM me.

We're planning a couple of get-togethers in December for the January candidates.

Here's the info for a M&G in Oromocto, NB on Dec. 4th.

The Toronto and area folks are also planning a M&G in Toronto on Dec. 10th. (Have you decided on a time and place, guys?)

@McLovin: Congrats! Come join us: Jan. 5th BMOQ Group  8)

Back