• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JANUARY 2009 BMOQ

When you are not in the field, you should be in bed by 11pm, usually wake up slightly before 5am.  However, depending on you, and those around you, that may not always happen.  Ive seen courses where people stay up until 3am trying to get ready for inspection the next day, which is absurd but if you are on a course full of flinchers it can happen.  I am speaking from experiences a number of years ago, but I doubt much has changed since then.  There should usually be a lights out rule.  Follow it, organize your time so that you dont have to stay awake until 3am shining your boots or studying for a test and you should be ok for sleep.  I always bring with me some hear defenders and ear plugs just in case you get a large snorer nearby, but with single rooms that should not be an issue.

As far as the food being healthy, again that depends on you.  There are usually a number of options to chose from at the mess, some healthy, some not.  In the field your choices will be much more limited but overall the quality is pretty decent.

It's a shame to read what happened to CG, we all know she was geared up for it. As mentioned, basic up is not like the real deal, for OCDTs anyway it's a lot tougher as she rightfully told you.

6hrs of sleep someone asks? Only on weekends would that happen. By 5am you are downstairs lined up waiting for the staff, so you could see why 6hrs is impossible.

CG...friends of mine that finished the AEC are on OJT still and are having to wait for training, so you would have been gone elsewhere for a while if that makes any difference.

For those that don't know, when you VR ( voluntary release ), you don't get to go home right away, you can be there for weeks, sometimes months living in the trailers.

If you are not mentally and physically fit, you are going to struggle badly, as this is going to have an impact on your class work. Fail 3 POs and you are done. All the exams are multiple choice except for 2 that are written.

There is also a 5mins speech that you have to give during BOTP

ltmaverick25 said:
The good news is on the reserve side of things you can do a decent portion of this on a weekend basis.  That will certainly make it easier on the family side of things.  It should also help the weight issue to as its not all at once.  Once you are done your BMOQ on the reserve side you can always CT to the reg force AEC then.  They wont make you redo BOMQ if you already have it done in the reserves.

I am keeping that in my back pocket for sure, but right now, being with family is a priority. The reserves should work out well for me. I already have completed a lot of the 'BMQ' part of the training, and know I could easily complete it on a part-time basis from home with few if any issues.

I am curious about the weight loss issue though.  Its usually normal to lose some weight of course as you are working way harder physically then normal.  Were you eating regularly, ie 3 per day ect... Were some people on the course skipping meals to gain more time for other tasks? 

I was eating all my meals and eating plenty, as my former platoon mates could certainly attest. I have a smallish frame and was thin going to CFLRS (@ 122 lbs in January), and it didn't bode well for the physical tasks I needed to do, particularly ruck marches with full ruck sack (50 lbs or so), full fighting order, and holding our C7s 'at the ready' (at the shoulder) the entire time. My body started to give out, I got sick (chest cold) along with severe muscle aches, started passing out (once at 7.15k of a 7.2k ruck, lol...so close!), and just plain could not recover enough in between activities with days filled with PT, drill, stairs, rucking, etc., etc. to be strong enough to complete the course. At the end of it, I was eating 2 and 3 desserts some meals just to get some fat on my body. It didn't work. We burned far more calories than we could ever take in, especially when timings were tight (which was 95% of the time). Absolutely everyone was losing weight, but I hadn't much to spare to begin with so my body weakened quickly. I would now advise anyone with a body like mine to pack on a good 20-30 lbs and do some serious weight training/strengthening before going on this course...not just cardio and push-ups! 

ruckmarch said:
It's a shame to read what happened to CG, we all know she was geared up for it. As mentioned, basic up is not like the real deal, for OCDTs anyway it's a lot tougher as she rightfully told you.

6hrs of sleep someone asks? Only on weekends would that happen. By 5am you are downstairs lined up waiting for the staff, so you could see why 6hrs is impossible.

CG...friends of mine that finished the AEC are on OJT still and are having to wait for training, so you would have been gone elsewhere for a while if that makes any difference.

For those that don't know, when you VR ( voluntary release ), you don't get to go home right away, you can be there for weeks, sometimes months living in the trailers.

If you are not mentally and physically fit, you are going to struggle badly, as this is going to have an impact on your class work. Fail 3 POs and you are done. All the exams are multiple choice except for 2 that are written.

There is also a 5mins speech that you have to give during BOTP

Actually, I was pretty physically fit for my gender, age, and size, if I do say so myself. I just didn't have the muscular strength I needed to do the tasks I needed to do there, and unlike the Expres test, there are not two standards in BMOQ - everyone does the same tasks, everyone carries the same amount of weight on their bodies, everyone keeps the same pace...or God help you. ;)  The course is what I would call 'combat arms heavy', so although there is a theoretical component, it's the weapons handling, drill, PT, and rucking that take up a lot of your time and energy. If you are not proficient in all of these activities, you aren't going to make it, quite simply.

I honestly don't regret any of it. It was a fantastic experience, and through the pain, there is growth in spirit.  :)  Also, as mentioned above, what I learned at CFLRS will help me in my training for the reserves. It will all balance out. Someday in the future, when the kids are older, I may give reg force another go, who knows? Que sera sera. I'm good with it all.

leroi said:
Super valiant effort Celticgirl!

Good philosophy about it, too.

Maybe now is not the best time for you but maybe at some point in the future ...

Congratulations on your engagement!

Thank you! :) We've actually been engaged for nearly a year but finally got around to setting a date. Can't wait!  And yes, I'm trying to keep a good perspective about what happened, as I do believe everything happens for a reason! It will all work out the way it's supposed to in the end.  :D

Celticgirl said:
Um, yeah, I'm not answering that question.  :p  ;D

I think I put my foot in my mouth...I didn't read all your posts!  How much of an *** do I feel like right now??

CG,

You aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last, person to go on a course and not complete it.  The one course I wanted more than anything to pass, I was a medical RTU.  It was my Basic Para Course, and after my 3rd jump, I was an "injured jumper", and RTUd with no Wings.  C'est la vie.

I think of all the things I read thru this, 2 things stick out.

1.  The EXPRES test is NOT an accurate guage of anything other than that mark and point or 2 on your PER, when it comes to be 'fighting fit'.

2.  The trng is nothing to laugh at for those off the street, and even from some of the 'from the ranks' types. 

I like the analogy someone made to BMOQ being an ugly combo of BMQ and PLQ.  Not perfect, but pretty good way to say it.

Short story...bare with me.

1996, CTC Gagetown.  I was a CLC (now PLQ) instuctor.  We had just completed a PT session where the Student Sect Comd's were being assessed.  Some of the candidates were moaning during the cool down about there being "too much PT to focus on their M of I", etc.

As we were summing up, behind H-23, there came this platoon + of people, running for all they were worth...wearing the Infantry School t shirts, I quickly thought to myself "must be the Phase 1 gang".  100 meters to the rear of the Main Body, was a portly fellow, being encouraged to "keep up" by the Snr NCO running along side of him sideways.  The pace didn't slow down as they disappeared out of site as they went down past the D lines towards the end of the base the Sappers call home past the Cadet Camp...nor did that young Officer Cadet catch up any, try as he might.

I looked around at my Section and said "There goes the Officer Phase 1 course...who was complaining about PT?"  No one said a word.

In case anyone was wondering...the slower OCdt is now a Major at CTC...and despite still being a little heavy, the last course we ran together, he could ruck faster than any one else on our staff.

You make some very good points.  Alot of people, myself included get a false sence of "PT security" by completing the express test.  During my NCM days, I had managed to get exempt on the express test.  I was about 25 at the time.  I did my JLC and for the love of god no matter how hard I tried, I could not keep up with the rest of the course.  And this of course, still in the era where reserve NCOs felt that the hot air produced by yelling and screaming at you without remorse would somehow propell you to go faster.  It didnt.  Needless to say, PT was always a dreadful and embarassing experience on that course, instead of looking forward to an opportunity to get in shape.  I prevailed and passed the JLC but holy crap did it ever hurt.  You know the worst of it was, I wasnt heavy either, never was, and still could not keep up.  I allowed myself to beleive that I was in shape because of that damn test.  I was flatly wrong.

Next step was the JNCO.  I made it all the way up to the last week of the course before being RTU'd.  I was in better shape by this point, but frankly, it still wasnt good enough.  The reg force staff that taught this course did not subscribe to the "hot air" method of encouragement thankfully...  At any rate, I clearly was not in as good of shape as the rest of my course mates.  It affected my performance in the field which affected everything else.  To make a long story short, I failed that course.  The simple reasons, I just was not physically, and more importantly, was not mentally prepared for it.

It took me 5 years to come to terms with that.  It was not an easy pill to swallow.  At first I blamed everything and everyone, and I was quite convincing  ;D  Ultimately I came to the truth of the matter and insisted I be loaded onto the next PLQ as it is now called.  Thankfully my new unit decided to have faith in me and it was on from there.  I just about killed myself trying to get physically fit.  I was 30 at this point, though still not as fit as the rest of the course, I was by far and away much much stronger physically then i was the first go around.  Also, having been through the whole ordeal once, I was mentally prepared and thats what made all the difference for me.  If I fell out of a run, or started to feel that ever present heavy fog pull me down while in the field, my mind was able to compensate for areas my body could not.  I passed that course, with extremely high marks even.

Then some 2 years later I finally convinced the CF to give me a commission.

The moral of this story is threefold.

1.  No matter how much good shape you think you happen to be in compared to years before, you are still not ready.  Do not let up, do not stop pushing yourself to the LIMIT, because the CF wont think twice about pushing you past the limit.

2.  No matter how much you think you can handle the mental aspect of it, you are not ready, and wont be able to declare yourself ready until AFTER you pass the course.  I see alot of recruits dismiss the challenges due to over confidence.  Confidence is good, over confidence is bad.  A dose of reality, humility and moderate confidence will go a lot further then bull headed stupid confidence.

3.  I failed, and it was terrible.  Worst feeling ever, thankfully my stuborness is even more powerful then my lack of ability to run and keep up with my peers, and in the end I still managed to recover and make it.  You (you being anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation) can too!

I realize this may have come off as slighty preachy, but I hope it serves to help someone along the way.

So I'll add my 2 cents in on this one.......CG, way to go!  You certainly put up with a lot, and let me say it is NOT easy!!!  I also hear you may be joining our platoon???  Is there any truth to this? 

We just finished a 7.5k ruck today in the rain...good times had by all.  lol  I'll also say that I got an exempt status on the express and I am nowhere near able to keep up with the paces that are expected on everything PT (runs and rucks).  Just passing is for sure NOT good enough.  And don't let anyone tell you that as long as you don't quit that's good enough....its not either.  You WILL get swiped or counselled if you can't keep up. 

ada said:
So I'll add my 2 cents in on this one.......CG, way to go!  You certainly put up with a lot, and let me say it is NOT easy!!!  I also hear you may be joining our platoon???  Is there any truth to this? 

We just finished a 7.5k ruck today in the rain...good times had by all.  lol  I'll also say that I got an exempt status on the express and I am nowhere near able to keep up with the paces that are expected on everything PT (runs and rucks).  Just passing is for sure NOT good enough.  And don't let anyone tell you that as long as you don't quit that's good enough....its not either.  You WILL get swiped or counselled if you can't keep up. 

It's not quite that bad for being swiped, I'm proof of that.  The 7.5 was great :)

ltmaverick25 said:
The BOMQ is essentially a very ugly combination of the BMQ and PLQ that NCMs do.  However, it is much more difficult in a sence because you are doing it all at once and expected to be able to lead at a platoon level towards the end of your course with only a few months of military experience.  On the NCM side, BMQ and PLQ are normally seperated by at least 4 years.  Not as huge of a shock to the system.

BMOQ only requires candidate to lead a section on our final confirmation exercise. Candidates do act as CPC (Cadet Platoon Commander), and it is evaluated, but failing it does not constitute a PO failure. Therefore, the platoon leadership has little impact on a candidate passing or failing the course.

Hello! I just got the big call that I have been waiting for, and I will be going to St Jean on the 11th of January for the BOMQ. I was just wondering if there are any other recruits over the age of 30?

Just a heads up, this thread is for members of the January 2009 BMOQ... not 2010  ;)

Back