• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about LTA (merged)

How would a reverse LTA work then?

About time frames, I've already went on a LTA, and the time frame I had between getting the advance, and finalizing the claim was almost 2 months, but that was due to a posting.

meni0n said:
How would a reverse LTA work then?

About time frames, I've already went on a LTA, and the time frame I had between getting the advance, and finalizing the claim was almost 2 months, but that was due to a posting.

Do you mean how does an actual reverse LTA work, or how does the claim/advance work for it?

If you have already gone on an LTA this fiscal year, you will not be entitled to another one (including reverse) until next year.

Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it. I'll check in with the OR tomorrow.

Quick question...

What are the guidelines for High Rate or Low Rate Millage?

Im currently on IR in Quebec, and looking to go home in BC on LTA for christmas..... its 3805km, so under low rate its $885.30 , and a ticket is around $1000.00

hollywood13 said:
Quick question...

What are the guidelines for High Rate or Low Rate Millage?

Im currently on IR in Quebec, and looking to go home in BC on LTA for christmas..... its 3805km, so under low rate its $885.30 , and a ticket is around $1000.00

Here is a more recent thread on LTA that has some links in it that should be able to help you out with your questions.

LTA = Leave Travel Assistance not TPFTWT = They Pay For The Whole Trip.

kincanucks said:
LTA = Leave Travel Assistance not TPFTWT = They Pay For The Whole Trip.

haha true  :p

From what I understand, High Rate mileage is for short trips, and Low Rate is for long......... ie I will get low rate.

True they don't pay for the whole trip, but if I am away on course/IR or whatever reason they send me away for, I would think they could pay for 1 trip home.  Sure something is better than nothing, but for some reason I was not able to get on a service flight home (dates didn't work out with school leave) and I have to pay close to $300 out of my pocket to head home for Christmas (shit happens).

Sure I could stay here and stare at the wall, yeah I signed up for this, I am aware it could be worse, and for the record I am not complaining, its just my opinion that they should pay for the entire trip back to see my family for the holidays.

New to the site. Just wondering what the CF policy is on LTA. Is it a right or entitlement. Meaning, if on TD for 60 or more days, can I demand LTA or is this one of those "discretionary" areas.

There you go!  I just used the SEARCH function and then merged several topics on this subject for you. 

Tech said:
New to the site. Just wondering what the CF policy is on LTA. Is it a right or entitlement. Meaning, if on TD for 60 or more days, can I demand LTA or is this one of those "discretionary" areas.

60 days!!??!! It's once per year, if you're single or seperated/divorced, posted away from your NOK IR etc, -- to your next of kin.

Demand??!!?? If you're entitled to it, you're entitled to it -- but, nothing says that your CoC has to approve the dates you've "demanded."  ;)

So, don't book your tickets -- until that leave pass has been authorized and "approved".  ;)

ArmyVern said:
60 days!!??!! It's once per year, if you're single or seperated/divorced, posted away from your NOK IR etc, -- to your next of kin.
Vern I think he meant that if away on a course of long enough duration if he could be entitled to LTA. Although the answer is yes, I cannot recall the exact time frame required to qualify.

As far as the granting of your LTA, I guess you could say that (if entitled) it would be "discretionary" on your course/school schedule which would determine its permissibility.

As far as "demand", hope you rethink your choice of wording  ::)

DCBA Aire-Mémoire Leave Travel Assistance 3.3
If the member is away from the home for service reasons for a period in excess of 60 days (excluding travel time to and from the duty locale). LTA may be granted only once per Duty/Course and only once per fiscal year.  If the LTA is to be claimed while serving away from the place of duty, the LTA must be taken during the period for which the member is assigned duty away from the home unit.  Leave cannot be added to exercise expiry dates or course completion dates to accommodate for LTA.

Again, this benefit can only be granted if the course schedule permits it, or if the person wishes to travel on a long weekend.

So imagine my mood when after returning from a refreshing break back home in BC i come back to Kingston to find that somebody in Gagetown 'reinterpreted' how LTA applies to reservists.  Naturally I'm not the only person in this predicament.  In fact even young privates who went home during a break between their two mods of QL3 are now being told they owe money, or are not going to be reimbursed.  Some of them reaching sums of over a thousand dollars.

Anyways enough of the sob story, i came here to find out if anyone knew of any actual change to the entitlement? I've been reading through the aide-memoire on domestic benefits and absolutely nothing has changed in that or any other document I've read.

The new interpretation for reservists is now that you must be on class B contract at your home unit, be sent on TD somewhere for over 60 days, and then your entitled.  It's been explained that for me to now be eligible i would need to be sent away from Kingston, to a third place of employment, and then would be entitled to come back to Kingston, even though my home unit is in Nanaimo BC .  Only people that can now use it would be force tasked reservists who are already full time and get sent away.

I knew cutbacks were coming, but this one is just dirty.

Hello,

I plan on going to the BOR to finalize my LTA claim sometime this week, but before going I was curious to know whether I am going to be able to claim the expense of bringing my cat with me back to my NOK? It was either pay $56 each way via plane or have him stay at the kennel while I am on leave. The kennel would have been a more expensive choice.

I am aware it's not the military's responsibility to pay to have my cat come home with me or stay at a kennel.

Thank you.

I am pretty sure that answer is no, as the LTA is for you being the CF member. Also, what expenses could you have incurred that you would have not had to pay if you were home? Cat Food, Kitty Litter? Either way you would have paid for those items.

Hurricane said:
I am pretty sure that answer is no, as the LTA is for you being the CF member. Also, what expenses could you have incurred that you would have not had to pay if you were home? Cat Food, Kitty Litter? Either way you would have paid for those items.

A cat doesn't eat or go through $112 worth of cat food and kitty litter in 14 days.

Thanks for the reply.

rezz said:
A cat doesn't eat or go through $112 worth of cat food and kitty litter in 14 days.

No, but you could have had a friend feed and scoop while you were gone for free (or the cost of a 40 pounder).

rezz said:

Thanks for the reply.
You haven't then met the terrors or Portuguese Cove NS, Starsky and Hutch have you then!!!
I'll go out on a limb here and say no. That said (I am IR in Ottawa doing my claim Friday as well), it's based on the lesser of mileage(-500km each way)/actual cost. In my case, $650 flight vs $362 claim - I will get $362.
I am not sure about this and you never know - Let us all know how this pans out.

Back