• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about LTA (merged)

captloadie said:
Now, using something we like to call common sense, did the OPs new wife also live in the proximity of his mother, or at least further away in the same direction? If I were the PAO, I'd authorize such a payment, as the member is not gaining anything more from the crown than he would have if he was married. The FAQ in the link is a little bit of a red herring, as the mother was coming out to a place where the new NOK was already located, so when the marriage occurred, there was 0 km to travel to the new NOK.

That was the intent of my previous post,..but I did just make the assumption that they were in the same place.

I really [using captloadie's common sense] shouldn't see an issue here. [again, assuming same location]

I had a somewhat similar experience (truthfully, it was an ex-wife who had the actual experience) over 30 years ago.  She (posted to Borden) came to my posting location to get married. I was on course and thus was unable to get away; was granted a single day off (a Friday) to get married (the nuptials were performed by a judge who just prior to hitching us had sentenced another unfortunate soul to prison - lucky *******).  Her pre-marriage NOK was in the same general location as me.  When she returned to Borden, she inquired if she could claim LTA.  After much fiddling about including referring it to Ottawa (most likely some in her chain supported her with the same logic as presented in some of the posts here), the claim was denied. 

Though there have been considerable changes (improvements) in LTA regulations during the several decades since,  the salient point was pretty much as given in the FAQ link previously provided - once you acquire a dependant, then travel to/from the previous NOK is not subsidized.  The exclusion of one-way trips (TB direction) is was apparently more based on not providing subsidized travel home to those who release prior to completing full terms of service.

I didn't see any reference to it in the advice that you've been given so I'll add mine.  DGCB is the authority to tell you yes or no.  Provide a detailed memo thru your chain of command requesting their decision on whether or not you can be reimbursed.  It happens all the time and that's why we see so many FAQs and/or policy clarifications out of Ottawa.  Also, your Orderly Room or Training admin cell's opinion shouldn't matter as it would be staffed to Ottawa.  Granted, there is also the risk that DGCB may say that your LTA needs to be repaid in full... logic definitely does not always apply.

Best of luck

Ref:  CBI 209.50

Also, I reviewed the ref policy and I don't think it matters whether or not you got married.  If you went on LTA to visit your family you met the eligibility requirements on the outbound portion of your claim to see your parents.  If your wife is at the same city as your parents, she became your family when you got married which I would say covers the return entitlement.  If you are married and at the post alone or if you are single, you are still entitled to an LTA once a year to your primary NOK.  Obviously wife is primary over parent.  Point is, you were still at your post unaccompanied and should still be entitled to an LTA once a year... (Reg F right?).  Regardless though, if the OR doesn't agree with you, you will have to push it higher for a decision.

This was answered eons ago....

DCBA FAQ Page...

I am presently a single Regular Force member and would like to fly my mother to my location in order to attend my marriage. What is my entitlement for reimbursement under the construct of LTA?

The Treasury Board (TB) has not granted authority for one way travel and therefore reimbursement isn't intended to reimburse such a scenario of a qualifying family member. In this scenario the member's entitlement is relinquished at the time he takes on a dependant and therefore not within the intent of the policy construct.

Once you acquire a dependant through marriage, you lose all entitlements to LTA.

Sorry, if it has been covered already.
I am going on LTA to Europe and I am being told by Borden OR that they will not pay for taxi/shuttle bus to the airport. Only plain ticket. I know of others who were told the samewhen they submitted their claim.
Is this a correct 'interpretation' of the policy or 'somobody' does not know what is approved by TB?

Thanks.

The DCBA FAQ pages indicates that you cannot claim travel to or from the location of the "commercial carrier".  That includes POMV (ie; mileage) or Taxi.  Mind you the CBI was last updated in Sep 12 and it really doesn't make any mention of this.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/db-as/faq/lta-adc-eng.asp

While at the LTA location, can I be reimbursed for a rental car instead of using a taxi?

No. There is no provision under the current LTA construct - effective 1 February 2011 - to reimburse a rental vehicle, taxi or any other form of local transportation to and from the commercial carrier.

Refs: CBI 209.50(7)

Occam said:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/db-as/faq/lta-adc-eng.asp

While at the LTA location, can I be reimbursed for a rental car instead of using a taxi?

No. There is no provision under the current LTA construct - effective 1 February 2011 - to reimburse a rental vehicle, taxi or any other form of local transportation to and from the commercial carrier.

Refs: CBI 209.50(7)

The OP is referring to taking a taxi from his home to the airport to catch his flight if I read it correctly. 

For the OP, this seems to be the intrepretation that most ORs that I have dealt with use.  I remember a time when you could, but wether that was from wrongful interpretation or a change in policy I couldn't say.

MJP said:
The OP is referring to taking a taxi from his home to the airport to catch his flight if I read it correctly. 

Exactly.

"No. There is no provision under the current LTA construct - effective 1 February 2011 - to reimburse a rental vehicle, taxi or any other form of local transportation to and from the commercial carrier."

Is LTA not based on mileage vs cost of travel, whichever is less? As well, unless deployed, does it not cover travel within Canada only?
I claimed LTA every year up until about 5 years ago (old, single guy!) and then twice when I was on IR in Ottawa and it was mileage minus 500km multiplied by whatever the going per km rate was. Ottawa-Halifax was about $320; flight was about the same, give or take.

Pat in Halifax said:
Is LTA not based on mileage vs cost of travel, whichever is less? As well, unless deployed, does it not cover travel within Canada only?
I claimed LTA every year up until about 5 years ago (old, single guy!) and then twice when I was on IR in Ottawa and it was mileage minus 500km multiplied by whatever the going per km rate was. Ottawa-Halifax was about $320; flight was about the same, give or take.

Entirely correct.  But that has nothing to do with OP complaining that he can't get reimbursed for taxi/shuttle to/from the airport.  You get mileage (for POMV), or funds towards airfare (and nothing else)...not some combination of both.

Occam said:
Exactly.

"No. There is no provision under the current LTA construct - effective 1 February 2011 - to reimburse a rental vehicle, taxi or any other form of local transportation to and from the commercial carrier."

Ahh dammit that is what I get for reading before coffee.  I thought you had posted about rentals at the LTA location.

Occam said:
Exactly.

What I find intruguing about the whole thing.  I too looked at the DCBA FAQ which you have quoted above.  and the comment of "No. There is no provision under the current LTA construct - effective 1 February 2011

But then when I look at CBI 209.50, I see at the bottom of the page (1 September 2012 version)  Kind of leaves the door open to creative interpretation to say the least.

Occam said:
Entirely correct.  But that has nothing to do with OP complaining that he can't get reimbursed for taxi/shuttle to/from the airport.  You get mileage (for POMV), or funds towards airfare (and nothing else)...not some combination of both.
Not entirely correct - You get mileage...period. How you get there is irrelevant, whether it by by plane, car, horse or bicycling or a combination...but you WILL get the $$$ value of cheaper of the two: mileage OR actual cost.

DAA said:
What I find intruguing about the whole thing.  I too looked at the DCBA FAQ which you have quoted above.  and the comment of "No. There is no provision under the current LTA construct - effective 1 February 2011

But then when I look at CBI 209.50, I see at the bottom of the page (1 September 2012 version)  Kind of leaves the door open to creative interpretation to say the least.

I'm not seeing what you're getting at.

The "1 September 2012 version" at the bottom of the PDF document simply indicates that Chapter 209 is displaying all amendments made up to that date.

CBI 209.50 is showing as original version.  Several other CBIs (209.52, 209.61, and several others) show effective dates with Amendment list numbers.

Pat in Halifax said:
Not entirely correct - You get mileage...period. How you get there is irrelevant, whether it by by plane, car, horse or bicycling or a combination...but you WILL get the $$$ value of cheaper of the two: mileage OR actual cost.

I think I meant to put more emphasis on the fact that you only get mileage for actual POMV miles driven, or miles using air travel....but not some combination of both to try and slip in mileage traveled by taxicab to/from airport, etc.

Good day,

Looking for a trip home this coming long weekend. Been away from home more then 60days with back to back TD. After submitting my leave pass the OR suggested that I may not be able to claim LTA because I have only been at the new TD location for 30days. After reading the policy I see nothing WRT this, only the 60 days away from home. Can someone shed some light on the issue. Please note I did a search and have looked at the CBI.

CBI 209.50 states for entitlement (highlight mine): "6.  only in respect of a member with a dependant, the member is – for 60 continuous days – either entitled to Separation Expense under CBI 208.997 (Separation Expense) or absent – for service reasons – from their place of duty."  It says nothing about two different places of TD, just 60 continuous days.  Unless there was a definite separation between the two periods of TD, I don't see why this wouldn't apply to you.

Another one that might apply to you is CBI 209.31, Reimbursement for Weekend Travel.  Does not apply if you are on course.

yeah roger that. I suspect that the OR was speaking from the top of there head and not from the CBI. Thanks again.

If you've taken ONE trip on TD that covers two or more locations, that's still one trip and so the rule on 60 continuous days would apply.  However, if you returned home from one location and then immediately embarked for another, that would be two trips and so you would not qualify under those circumstances.

Back