• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What are the differences between the Reliability Check and Pre-Security Assessment?

HizzyHizz

Reaction score
Good day!

I have been confused about the difference between the two as in the emails and conversation with my recruiters both were referred to as "Background Check stage". During the earlier stage of my application, I was told that I was in the background check stage after I had submitted the Pre-Security Assessment forms, and that came back in January (Submitted in September). I did my medical and interview in February and was told I'd be going into the background check stage which I assume is the Reliability Check. How long do both of them usually take and what are some key differences between them?

Thank you!

Everyone in the CAF requires a reliability check (and eventually a security clearance).
However not everyone requires a pre-security assessment - the questionnaire that you filled out will determine if a pre-security assessment needs to done. This is for individuals who may have things in their background (multiple items) that could potentially slow down a security clearance. As such a pre-security check is done.
Reliability Check and Security Clearance are sometimes lumped into one item; even though they're separate and at the beginning stages of enrolment are referred to as a background check.

How long the pre-assessment takes depends on your personal individual situation; there is a ton of posts on this forum about background checks for individuals who've lived outside Canada, own property outside Canada or have family outside Canada (all things that can slow it down). Also there is a difference between having one of those things in a country that willingly gives information to Canada (i.e. USA, Britain) vs countries that may not necessarily give the information as quickly.

Cheers

Everyone in the CAF requires a reliability check (and eventually a security clearance).
However not everyone requires a pre-security assessment - the questionnaire that you filled out will determine if a pre-security assessment needs to done. This is for individuals who may have things in their background (multiple items) that could potentially slow down a security clearance. As such a pre-security check is done.
Reliability Check and Security Clearance are sometimes lumped into one item; even though they're separate and at the beginning stages of enrolment are referred to as a background check.

How long the pre-assessment takes depends on your personal individual situation; there is a ton of posts on this forum about background checks for individuals who've lived outside Canada, own property outside Canada or have family outside Canada (all things that can slow it down). Also there is a difference between having one of those things in a country that willingly gives information to Canada (i.e. USA, Britain) vs countries that may not necessarily give the information as quickly.

Cheers
Thank you! That makes a lot more sense, and I appreciate it a lot!!

Cheers :)

Back