• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about LTA (merged)

I'm pretty sure moving pets is only covered on a posting.

Shouldn't this be in Military Administration?  ???

PMedMoe said:
Shouldn't this be in Military Administration?  ???
Only sailors (hence it being in 'Navy General') consider their pets as dependents and not just members of the family!!!

Pat in Halifax said:
Only sailors (hence it being in 'Navy General') consider their pets as dependents and not just members of the family!!!

Not true, not true! 

Pat in Halifax said:
You haven't then met the terrors or Portuguese Cove NS, Starsky and Hutch have you then!!!
I'll go out on a limb here and say no. That said (I am IR in Ottawa doing my claim Friday as well), it's based on the lesser of mileage(-500km - 400km each way)/actual cost. In my case, $650 flight vs $362 claim - I will get $362.
I am not sure about this and you never know - Let us all know how this pans out.

Small fix.

Pat in Halifax said:
You haven't then met the terrors or Portuguese Cove NS, Starsky and Hutch have you then!!!
I'll go out on a limb here and say no. That said (I am IR in Ottawa doing my claim Friday as well), it's based on the lesser of mileage(-500km each way)/actual cost. In my case, $650 flight vs $362 claim - I will get $362.
I am not sure about this and you never know - Let us all know how this pans out.

Side note:  If you're flying Ottawa to Halifax, may I suggest Porter instead?  Without their discounts a round trip is about $550... and unlike the People's airline you get pleasant service and a pint included in the price.

You would be laughed out of any OR that I was running for making such a request.  Here are the options:

1) No.

2)  NO!

3)  HELL NO!

4)  You must be @#$%&* joking!?

Pusser said:
You would be laughed out of any OR that I was running for making such a request.  Here are the options:

1) No.

2)  NO!

3)  HELL NO!

4)  You must be @#$%&* joking!?
Because it would be too much effort to sit down with a new member and explain his entitlements?

Remember, there are no stupid questions . . . . at least not the first time you ask.

captloadie said:
Because it would be too much effort to sit down with a new member and explain his entitlements?

Maybe it's just me but the laughter could be considered an explanation of the member's entitlements.  ;D

captloadie said:
Remember, there are no stupid questions . . . .

True but, there are many inquisitive idiots. Plus, who ever invented that saying could not have ever been a participant in an airshow. Lots of actual stupid questions being asked by visitors at those......

dapaterson said:
Side note:  If you're flying Ottawa to Halifax, may I suggest Porter instead?  Without their discounts a round trip is about $550... and unlike the People's airline you get pleasant service and a pint included in the price.
I actually did do this (I mean Porter). A week before my departure, they put a sale on so I sent them a not-so-nice (but diplomatic) take on my opinion of them 'gouging' during the Holiday season. Though they wouldn't reduce the cost of the ticket, I did get a credit ( $120) toward a future flight.
All in all okay. As for the free beer - girl beside me got a little liquored but having not seen my wife in 3 months, I figured if I showed up pickled (after having drank with a 20-something hottie!), I would have been sleeping in the garage...with my dependents...Starsky and Hutch!!!

I was briefed today that once a mbr is posted into an area on class B/C and takes a move he is no longer entitled to LTA CTA if the member stays in the area on another contract. This is apparently a reinterpretation of the regs.
Is this happening in the army reserve?

I have done the research, including the requisite inspection of these forums, but have not found an answer to my problem, which is as such:

This past Christmas leave period (2012-2013) I applied for LTA to visit my mother in Ontario (I am currently posted in BC).  At the time that I applied for LTA I was a single member and she was my sole NOK (as stipulated on my NOK form).  During this leave period I got married.  I was engaged before I left and got married over the leave period because it was the sole time in my schedule where I would have a solid block of leave due to the fact that I am still in training.  I received an advance before my departure and upon returning to work this January and submitting my claim, I was informed via email that the advance would be recovered due to the fact that during my leave my NOK changed to my wife and the military would not, in the words of the clerk "authorize a one way flight."

My belief is that the clerk (and her superior) is under the impression that I took my LTA to visit my wife, which is not the case.  I would contend that my NOK did not change with respect to the military until I had returned and updated my NOK, PEN and Sup. Benefit forms, which I did concurrent with the filing of my LTA claim.

Guidence in this matter would be greatly appreciated and I thank anyone who responds for his or her time.  In addition, I am more than willing to offer clarifying information if it is required.

Did you just spur of the moment decide to get married, or did you take LTA for the free flight, knowing full well that you were going to get married during that time and effectively change your NOK status? Sounds a little shady IMO. The army doesn't like giving out money, but I find it odd that you don't at least get the one way flight covered.

With respect, I fail to understand why it would make a difference whether I "spur the moment" decided to get married or had planned it in advance.  The military would have paid for LTA whether I had gone to see my wife (In the theoretical world where I was already married) or my mother.  Moreover, the distance to the location of my wedding was even farther than it was to my mother's residence, and I am only claiming the flights there and back, not any of the other misc.  charges that I was, initially, entitled to with LTA. 

The published intent of the LTA program is to unite military members with their next of kin once a fiscal year.  This is exactly what I did.  The fact that I changed my NOK when I returned is, in my mind, immaterial.

Again I welcome any response that will help me understand particularly why I am in the wrong according to the OR; for example, the particular published documents that outline why a member should be penalized for getting married while taking LTA. 

Thank you for your response.

Buss193 said:
My belief is that the clerk (and her superior) is under the impression that I took my LTA to visit my wife, which is not the case.  I would contend that my NOK did not change with respect to the military until I had returned and updated my NOK, PEN and Sup. Benefit forms, which I did concurrent with the filing of my LTA claim.

Did you look at any "official" sites that deal with the subject such as the DGCB FAQ page on LTA. http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/db-as/faq/lta-adc-eng.asp
I am presently a single Regular Force member and would like to fly my mother to my location in order to attend my marriage. What is my entitlement for reimbursement under the construct of LTA?

The Treasury Board (TB) has not granted authority for one way travel and therefore reimbursement isn't intended to reimburse such a scenario of a qualifying family member. In this scenario the member's entitlement is relinquished at the time he takes on a dependant and therefore not within the intent of the policy construct.

Your NOK status does not change when you update a form, it changed immediately after the minister said "I now pronounce you . . . " .

Blackadder1916 said:
Your NOK status does not change when you update a form, it changed immediately after the minister said "I now pronounce you . . . " .

This is the part I agree with.  You took LTA to visit your NOK which, at the time, was your mother.  The minute you got married, your NOK effectively changed to your spouse and you were no longer entitled to the LTA you took.  Makes sense to me.

DAA said:
The claim should be based on the "one way" mileage calculation minus "400km" (ie; half the original deduction) multiplied by the applicable mileage rate.

You'd think, but check the link Blackadder posted.  Not to mention, if the OP went on LTA with the intention of getting married, then his claim could be considered fraudulent.

Just a thought,......so it makes a difference if your NOK is a wife/ husband or a Mother/ Father?

Still NOK, no?

PMedMoe said:
You'd think, but check the link Blackadder posted.  Not to mention, if the OP went on LTA with the intention of getting married, then his claim could be considered fraudulent.

Good point, I missed the link.....    :(  Original post removed.  Thanks for pointing that one out!!!!!

Now, using something we like to call common sense, did the OPs new wife also live in the proximity of his mother, or at least further away in the same direction? If I were the PAO, I'd authorize such a payment, as the member is not gaining anything more from the crown than he would have if he was married. The FAQ in the link is a little bit of a red herring, as the mother was coming out to a place where the new NOK was already located, so when the marriage occurred, there was 0 km to travel to the new NOK.

Back