• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Business Class for TD Travel

The secret t never having your TD audited is to only go to places no one would ever go unless they had to.
I'm in trouble then with my travel to resort destinations like Cold Lake, Petawawa, Bagotville, Moose Jaw, etc...

From a taxpayer perspective it's stupid, and the lack of trust on responsible travel for thousands of dollars when I'm responsible for millions of dollars in project spending as well as technical decisions on life safety equipment is too much cognitive dissonance to really wrap my head around.

Look on the bright side, the red tape is not because the commoners can't be trusted to travel responsibly, it's because the approving authority's (COs and up) can't be trusted to ensure you don't travel responsibly.

The secret t never having your TD audited is to only go to places no one would ever go unless they had to.

Hmmm, I'm having a repressed memory surface of the Edmonton RDAO staff contacting a soldier two years after their travel to Shilo informing them that they PPV'd their claim and they owed $17 back to the Crown because ClaimsX gave them an extra day of incidentals they weren't entitled to (they were entitled to it, but DCBA is illiterate... yes, that $17 question went all the way up to DCBA).

Hmmm, I'm having a repressed memory surface of the Edmonton RDAO staff contacting a soldier two years after their travel to Shilo informing them that they PPV'd their claim and they owed $17 back to the Crown because ClaimsX gave them an extra day of incidentals they weren't entitled to (they were entitled to it, but DCBA is illiterate... yes, that $17 question went all the way up to DCBA).
What? No interest charges added to account for two years worth of inflation??? This should be re-opened immediately to rectify this gross financial malfeasance!

It makes me feel so warm and glowy to see all the wonderful experiences others have had and continue to have with claims. Audits, I mean PPV are my favourites.
Why was member paid this, you have to recover it!!
Same reason that I told you when you were here and you told me that it was fine.
Well that was then, this is now.
Ok then I will adjust that down but now we have to pay him this so we owe him money
What?? No!! That's not the way audits I mean PPV are supposed to work!! You're making me look bad.
I think you did a good job of that all on your own.

For anyone wondering the issue in this case was that the Hotel rate was $20 a night higher than the book because they included all meals for us. I had told the Sgt with the audit team this when she was there and she was fine with it. Then when the report was sent to us the order from Edmonton was to recover the $20 so I told them as he had effectively purchased his meals we had to pay him the full daily rate and thus owed him. The matter was dropped.

A bit humorous reading this, in my experience no one is getting business class no matter what, you can pull all the CFTDI's the CFAO's DAOD's small lines that may mean something. Bottom line is we have no money for that ever, even if it's a LCol well maybe a exception in that Rank but in my 15yrs I have never been allowed, authorized to do a business ticket. Then again there's always a first I'm sure.

A bit humorous reading this, in my experience no one is getting business class no matter what, you can pull all the CFTDI's the CFAO's DAOD's small lines that may mean something. Bottom line is we have no money for that ever, even if it's a LCol well maybe a exception in that Rank but in my 15yrs I have never been allowed, authorized to do a business ticket. Then again there's always a first I'm sure.
I know a few people that have gotten it for various reasons but it's definitely the exception. Basically though we don't even have cash to fly to Halifax from the NCR on cattle class though, so they will just cancel a trip instead.

God forbid we spend a few days and a couple grand making sure life safety system on multi billion dollar ships with a few hundred people on board each of them are safe I guess.

I know a few people that have gotten it for various reasons but it's definitely the exception. Basically though we don't even have cash to fly to Halifax from the NCR on cattle class though, so they will just cancel a trip instead.

God forbid we spend a few days and a couple grand making sure life safety system on multi billion dollar ships with a few hundred people on board each of them are safe I guess.

I guess that is "discretionary travel". Now I'm curious to know what the department considers "non-discretionary".

Myself and a PO2 flew to Singapore to do some work with their navy back in 04. I put in the request for business class because of the length of flight. It was approved almost immediately and no one was more shocked than I. Then we found out that Singapore was paying for the flight there and I guess they wanted to be nice to us? Or was it routine that long flights required a little more comfort? I don't know, but I told the PO2 to be prepared for the pain on the return flight because our country was paying to get us home. Sure as the sun setting in the west, we were back in storage for the haul back east.:confused:

Myself and a PO2 flew to Singapore to do some work with their navy back in 04. I put in the request for business class because of the length of flight. It was approved almost immediately and no one was more shocked than I. Then we found out that Singapore was paying for the flight there and I guess they wanted to be nice to us? Or was it routine that long flights required a little more comfort? I don't know, but I told the PO2 to be prepared for the pain on the return flight because our country was paying to get us home. Sure as the sun setting in the west, we were back in storage for the haul back east.:confused:
People first, budget always!

I have many times travelled with Air Force and Navy pers in the Capt-Maj Rank level and walked my sorry self to Cattle Class while they peeled off to Business class.

I have many times travelled with Air Force and Navy pers in the Capt-Maj Rank level and walked my sorry self to Cattle Class while they peeled off to Business class.
Alot of that has to do with frequent flyer miles adding up to upgraded seats. I can assure you the RCAF is not booking business class. But, if you travel for business 6-8 times per years across Canada, that Elite status arrives pretty fastā€¦.

Alot of that has to do with frequent flyer miles adding up to upgraded seats. I can assure you the RCAF is not booking business class. But, if you travel for business 6-8 times per years across Canada, that Elite status arrives pretty fastā€¦.
And not short hops either. Victoria to Shearwater, or Comox to Greenwood.

And not short hops either. Victoria to Shearwater, or Comox to Greenwood.
Well, they always somehow seem to book them as a series of short hops with long waits between legs, but...

Ugh, living out of a suitcase for a posting is no real benefit where getting elite status is worth the ass pain. Since traveling recently though notice that the longer flights are completely full so upgrades aren't even really a thing anymore. The only real benefit is being able to use the lounge I guess.

Ugh, living out of a suitcase for a posting is no real benefit where getting elite status is worth the ass pain. Since traveling recently though notice that the longer flights are completely full so upgrades aren't even really a thing anymore. The only real benefit is being able to use the lounge I guess.
Oh, I know.

The joys of project people deciding that one simulator site is good enough when your fleet is split between coastsā€¦

Back