• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about LTA (merged)

Greywolf

Inactive
Reaction score
How do you apply for LTA?  Where do you get the form?  Do you submit the form before your trip or after?  I've heard that you usually don't get reimbursed for the full amount, is that true?

First, you can only get it to visit your next of kin, you can't get it to blast of to Tijuana with your buddies. I think it's 12 cents per km, you have to pay the first 800km. Example: round trip home is 4000km (2000km each way) - 800km = 3200km x .12 = $384.  If your plane ticket is more than that, you'll get the full amount but you have to pay the difference. If your ticket is less than your max entitlement, you only get what you paid for the ticket.  So at best your full ticket will be paid for, at worst you'll have to pay the balance, ie, you're entitled to $384, your ticket costs $350, you get $350, if your ticket was $400, you'll get $384 and you have to pay $16 out of your own pocket. You won't pocket any extra cash. If you want an advance, go to your orderly room with your paid ticket and they'll take care of it, then while you're home you get it stamped at a postal outlet, when you get back you take the stamped leave pass to the OR and they'll finalize your claim.  If you don't want an advance, just get your leave pass stamped while you're home and go to your OR when you get back with your signed leave pass and a copy of your plane ticket that shows how much you paid for the flight, they'll take care of the rest.

Hope that helps
Cheers

Leave Transportation Allowance.
It is a benefit aimed at those members who are separated from their Next of Kin (NOK), so generally it applies to single folks.  It helps to defray the costs you incur due to travelling to your NOK from the place the military has sent you.  Normally you are entitled to one per year if you are on a regular posting.  There are different allowances for other situations, you can have reverse LTAs where your NOK comes to you, usually on long course out of country, and I believe on overseas unaccompanied postings you get one every six months.

Inch, what do you mean by "get your leave pass stamped while I'm at home"??  Doesn't my leave pass get stamped after it's approved by the OR of my unit? 

Yes it gets stamped saying that it was approved and entered in People Soft, but you have to prove that you actually went home. You could get the money for your plane ticket then change it to go somewhere else, the only way to prove you actually went to where you said you were going is to get your leave pass stamped while you're on leave. It's Section D on the leave pass, to the right of where the OR stamps it, it says "This is to certify that the above named member of the CF reported to this office" and there's a spot for a stamp. Just go to a post office while you're home and ask them to stamp your leave pass and then hand in the stamped leave pass to the OR when you get back.

Cheers

The RMS clerks at the OR, are very busy, and I don't want to bother them; but I was wondering if any RMS clerks, could tell what the maximum funds available for my LTA from CFB Borden-Calgary, and back would be. And if there was a website I could go to, or a hardcopy I could go and pick up. That would tell me this information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cgyflames01 said:
The RMS clerks at the OR, are very busy, and I don't want to bother them; but I was wondering if any RMS clerks, could tell what the maximum funds available for my LTA from CFB Borden-Calgary, and back would be. And if there was a website I could go to, or a hardcopy I could go and pick up. That would tell me this information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a retired RMS Clk, I say this:

Bother them, that's what they're there for.

Before doing so, however, make sure you have read Routine Orders - I used to publish such information there.

Unfortunately, as I'm now retired, I am "out of the loop" and can't give you a correct answer.

Roy Harding

Hi, I am MCpl Gagnon, RMS Clerk, currently in Kandahar!!  I agree with the Retired RMS, bug them!!!  :p

You are entitle up to the low rate of mileage for POMV for the KM from Borden to Calgary minus 800km

Example:  Borden - Calgary is 1800km and the low rate of mileage is $0.13 you would receive:

(1800km X 2) - 800 km X $0.13 = $364.00 as the MAXIMUM AMOUNT CLAIMABLE

Go see your clerks, they are there to help you!  LTA for single members or IR personnel is an entitlement, therefore go bug them to have the actual money figures!!

Cheers
Sindy  :salute:

When I split up with my ex-wife I had my children as my next of kin and I could use my LTA to see them once per year. Since that time my girlfriend and I became common-law ( we are a service couple and in the same trade so it was nesessary to do so ). Now the army considers her my next of kin and I dont have LTA privileges to visit my children in British Columbia (I am posted to Petawawa). Any of you clerks able to tell me if this sounds correct? Do I have to have her as my next of kin even though I have children? Thanks for any help you can give.

Unfortunately what you have heard is True :(  the following is from the DCBA Aide Memoire - which is found on the DCBA website. 

Chapter 4 Leave Travel - Leave Travel Assistance

1. Intent The intent of the Leave Travel Assistance program is to return single members home to reunite with their next of kin (NOK) on an annual basis, and to return members with dependants home to their NOK when they are away from their place of duty for more than 60 days for service reasons. The principal of LTA is to provide assistance, and not necessarily cover the entire cost, of the trip home.

2.1 Home Where the Next of Kin resides
2.2 Next of Kin  LTA is to reunite the member with their NOK. For the purpose of LTA, NOK in order of priority is as follows.  The member’s:

a. spouse or dependant child;

b. parent or child;

c. sibling; then

d. grandparent.

Note:  If there are no living next of kin as listed above, the member may name a NOK to be authorized by the Commanding Officer.

2.3 Parent Parent means, the member’s father or mother or the person or persons who, prior to the member's enrolment, had undertaken the responsibilities and fulfilled the duties of a father or mother.

2.4 Primary Ordinary Residence

Where a member normally resides on a continuing basis and maintains fiscal responsibility.

2.5 Spouse
A spouse is defined as:

a. the person who is legally married to the member; or

b. a person with whom the member has lived with for a continuous period (or non-continuous period if they are living separately for military reasons) of at least one year,  whom the member has publicly represented to be their spouse and continues to live with as if that person were their spouse, as designated by the member.

3. Eligibility

3.1 General Member must have served a minimum of 90 days with the Canadian Forces before becoming eligible.

3.2 Single Member A single member is entitled to one LTA per fiscal year.

3.3 Member with dependants

If the member is away from the home for service reasons for a period in excess of 60 days (excluding travel time to and from the duty locale). LTA may be granted only once per Duty/Course and only once per fiscal year.  If the LTA is to be claimed while serving away from the place of duty, the LTA must be taken during the period for which the member is assigned duty away from the home unit.  Leave cannot be added to exercise expiry dates or course completion dates to accommodate for LTA.

3.4 Service Couple

When both members of a service couple are serving away from the location where their HG&E were last moved at public expense, in excess of 60 days, both are entitled to the LTA benefit to return “home” to their dependants or each other.

3.4.1 Split HG& E

When married/common law service couple has decided to split the HG&E (and therefore neither member receives SE), each member is eligible for an LTA to the location that their spouse last moved at public expense.

NOK priority goes to 1- Spouse   then  2 - Children or Parents.  You can also find this information in CBI 209.50 which unfortunately we can not access from home.

Sorry :(
PoPo

Canadian Sig said:
Since that time my girlfriend and I became common-law ( we are a service couple and in the same trade so it was nesessary to do so ). Now the army considers her my next of kin

This may be a dumb question but why was it necessary, just because you're a service couple and in the same trade? 

potato

You can also find this information in CBI 209.50 which unfortunately we can not access from home.

I stand corrected here is CBI 209.50

209.50 - TRANSPORTATION ON LEAVE 
(1) (Definitions) The definitions in this paragraph apply in this instruction. 
"home" means 

(a) in respect of an officer or non-commissioned member who is married or in a common-law partnership, or a member who is single and has a dependent child as defined in CBI 205.015 (Interpretation) 
(i) the place to which the member's spouse or common-law partner or dependent child was last moved at public expense, 
(ii) if the member's spouse or common-law partner or dependent child is residing elsewhere than at the place to which last moved at public expense, subject to paragraph (3), the place where the member's spouse or common-law partner or dependent child is residing, or 
(iii) if the member's spouse or common-law partner or dependent child has never been moved at public expense, the place where the member's spouse or common-law partner or dependent child is residing, or 

(b) in respect of an officer or non-commissioned member other than as described in subparagraph (a) 
(i) the place where the member's parent is residing, 
(ii) subject to the approval of an officer commanding a command or formation, the place where the member's child, legal ward or individual adopted legally or in fact who is officially recorded as the member's next of kin is residing, or 
(iii) if the member's parents are deceased, and subject to the approval of an officer commanding a command or formation, the place where the member's officially recorded next of kin is residing.

(domicile) 

"parent" means, in respect of an officer or non-commissioned member, the father or mother or the person or persons who, prior to the member's enrolment, had undertaken the responsibilities and fulfilled the duties of a father or mother. (parent) 

(2) (Entitlement to reimbursement) Subject to paragraph (4), CBI 209.51 (Compassionate Travel Assistance) and CBI 209.52 (Transportation on Special Leave), an officer or non-commissioned member proceeding to their home on leave with pay and allowances is, on one occasion only in each leave year, for the portion of the journey actually made in Canada or between Canadian points, entitled to actual expenses for transportation not to exceed an amount calculated at the rate established in subparagraph (3)(a) of CBI 209.25 (Use of Private Motor Car, Motorcycle or Airplane for Temporary Duty Travel) for each kilometre of the completed journey that is not travelled at public expense, in excess of 800 kilometres. 

(3) (Limit) When an officer or non-commissioned member proceeds to their home as defined in sub-subparagraph (a)(ii) of the definition "home", the cost borne by the public may not exceed the cost that would have been incurred if the member had proceeded to the place to which the member's spouse or common-law partner or dependent child was last moved at public expense. 

(4) (Calculation) Calculation of the kilometres between the officer or non-commissioned member's place of duty and their home shall be made using 
(a) direct road distance in respect of that portion of the journey served by road; and 
(b) for any other portion of the journey, the actual kilometres by the most direct route. 

(effective 18 September 2003)
Amendment 1 

Hope this gives you the answers you were looking for
PoPo

If you're not married or at LEAST common-law they won't even consider posting you together.  Of course, I have seen people who are only engaged get posted together or even in the case of one guy getting posted to Ottawa because his civilian girlfriend was attending university there.  ??? I guess they knew the right people.  I always thought it was great that the military posted my husband and ex-husband to the same base but not me.  :'(  ;D

PoPo, Thanks for the help. I wonder what defines "dependant" child? I still have shared custody and pay support.........

Dependent child is one who normally lives with you.  I also pay child support and have my daughter listed as a dependent on my MPRR
Basically:
If you're married NOK is spouse.
Single parent (or divorced with children) NOK is child(ren).
Single member NOK is whoever you put on your form, usually parent, grandparent, sibling.  However, you can't keep changing them just to get LTA.  I've heard of people doing that, getting posted closer to their NOK and trying to change it to someone who lives far away from them.
LTA is great if you travel West because mileage is (usually) greater than airfare.  Sucks if you're going East.  Grand total of my LTA from Petawawa to Fredericton (hubby on IR) $167.00.  Airfare $600.00.  Being pissed off at the system....priceless!!  :threat:  :D

PMedMoe said:
Single member NOK is whoever you put on your form, usually parent, grandparent, sibling.

Actually there isn't a "form" that tells us who your next of kin is for LTA purposes - you are confusing you Personal Emergency Notification (PEN) form as a form used for NOK for LTA purposes.  Clerks do "utilize" your PEN form when doing up LTA but ONLY to verify address of NOK "if" they are listed on the PEN form.  (ie: a mbr going to see their mother - we verify the address/locn if their mother is listed as a NOK).

Quite often now a "stat dec" is created and PA'd to a members pers file with their NOK for LTA purposes (ie: in the case of Minor Children who cannot be added to PEN forms so therefore we are unable to verify them as a NOK or address).

Canadian Sig said:
I wonder what defines "dependant" child? I still have shared custody and pay support.........

Unfortunately, as PMedMoe stated, once you have claimed Common Law or are Married, your spouse automatically becomes your Primary Next of Kin (for LTA purposes) therefore your claim to LTA is Nil UNLESS you happen to be away or on IR - then you get LTA (or HLTA) back to her locn.

Hope this helps

PoPo

PoPo said:
Actually there isn't a "form" that tells us who your next of kin is for LTA purposes - you are confusing you Personal Emergency Notification (PEN) form as a form used for NOK for LTA purposes.  Clerks do "utilize" your PEN form when doing up LTA but ONLY to verify address of NOK "if" they are listed on the PEN form.  (ie: a mbr going to see their mother - we verify the address/locn if their mother is listed as a NOK).

That's what I meant but thanks for the clarification!!  ;)

Back