• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about LTA (merged)

So just to be clear so that I don't get in trouble. I am able to cancel my plane ticket and get another. I do not need to advise my BOR (because they are closed right now) and if the flight is cheaper I understand I need to tell them since I would have left over money but since this one is more expensive it should be fine.

ladnav96 said:
So just to be clear so that I don't get in trouble. I am able to cancel my plane ticket and get another. I do not need to advise my BOR (because they are closed right now) and if the flight is cheaper I understand I need to tell them since I would have left over money but since this one is more expensive it should be fine.

Yes you will be fine.  Just make sure you keep everything and ensure your leave pass is stamped. 

ladnav96 said:
Hey there, quick question here about my LTA,
I am posted to Esquimalt and am currently on leave in Montreal. My whole LTA was paid in advance already and I have my flight back booked for the 2nd of January 2019. I was wondering if I was allowed to cancel and refund that flight an fly back sooner like on the 27th of December 2018. The flight is about 90$ more but I don't mind paying the extra. Just wondering if that is something that is allowed to do.
ladnav96 said:

Have things changed with finalizing claims in the many years since I left the mob?  Back in the day, while it may have been possible to receive an advance for the total "estimated" amount of the claim, the "actual" amount would not be determined until completion of the travel and any difference (whether over or under) would then be either paid out or recovered.

Right, thank you all. I will keep all of the new receipts from the ticket and bring them with me to have them fix up the total amount.

What’s the policy for claiming a premium economy ticket?  Or any other economy ticket (there’s plenty of different tiers)?

I was under the impression that the LTA is a set rate based on the formula and that’s it.  If that amount covered the cost of your ticket then bonus, if not then you were on your own to cover the difference.

This isn't the first time I've heard about someone being told that. Looking at the policy, I think this part is the stumbling block:
209.50(7) (Amount – Travel Within Canada and the United States) Subject to paragraph (8), if all travel occurs within Canada and the United States of America (CANUS), the amount of LTA is the lesser of:
a.  the actual cost of return travel by commercial carrier,
  i.  in respect of a service couple who meet at a place of duty, from the member's place of duty to the other member's place of duty; and
  ii.  in any other case, from the member's place of duty to the principal residence; and
So, by the book, they are supposed to pay you what you paid for the ticket, as long as it is cheaper than mileage. Someone, somewhere, has arbitrarily decided to interpret that as meaning people are supposed to travel on the cheapest possible ticket, which was never the case in the past. When I was able to claim it, nobody really cared that I chose to fly direct for an extra cost compared to flying a multi-transfer red-eye to save $50.00 but now that they can easily see the fare level you paid, no upgraded tickets for you!

I have never received any flack for not booking a minimum cost ticket (and I have occasionally maxed out my entitlement).  I don't go out of my way to pay extra, but I book the flights that make sense to me, on the dates I need. Life is too short for multiple, unnecessary connections.

Cheers,

AK

With a signed leave pass, you can choose to:
- pay for the trip up front, and submit your claim upon your return. Pro Tip: ENSURE your leave pass is stamped at the destination.
(example: post office, police station, military unit) explain the stamp is simple proof you where physically here that day.

or

- print your quote and request an advance on the LTA claim. Use the advance to pay for your ticket. Follow the above Pro Tip.

**Edit: Spelling.
What if your in the location where your LTA destination ends and the locations to get a stamp on the date of your arrival are closed? Do you have to go back the next day to get a stamp at a police station or post office?

What if your in the location where your LTA destination ends and the locations to get a stamp on the date of your arrival are closed? Do you have to go back the next day to get a stamp at a police station or post office?
Doesn’t have to be on date of arrival.

Get it before you leave to go back to work.

Back