• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is your military status?

What is your military or non military status?

• Total voters
well it's been a while since I've last visited this thread....

1 CER, Heavy Equipment Troop, Sapper

Army Reserve, 723 Comm Sqn in Halifax as a Sig Op. Looking to CT into RegF soon.

zzyzx723 said:
Army Reserve, 723 Comm Sqn in Halifax as a Sig Op. Looking to CT into RegF soon.

Way back when I was a Pte and just got back from Namibia - they (Base Supply) shipped me to 723 Comm Sqn to look after their DAs, doing their purchasing etc. First time I ever got to work on my own - I loved it and learned a ton!! Best thing that ever happened to me "job-learning" wise. The bonus was that it was in Willow Park ... so I even had PARKING!!  :eek:

Great bunch of Sigs guys worked there then.

Gawd ... I feel old just thinking back to it - 'twas many moons ago.

Soon to be a civvie after 29 yrs, 4 mos and 15 days. If my request is finally answered by the system. Then I can start my new job in Kandahar, the military won't let me go so I found a job that will.

WrenchBender

Maybe it took us only 6 weeks what took you 2 years?

John C Seguin

RCAF (retired)

quote author=Nomadfl link=topic=22010/post-456622#msg456622 date=1160019058]
Retired Army, Canadian Forces. Retired in 1980 with almost 28 years of service. Just turn 70

Joined Dec 18, 1952 as first intake of soldier apprentices (Green Monster), I went to the RCEME School at Barriefield, and did two years of basic, schooling and trade. Qualified as Armourer Grp 1 in Jan 55, posted to 214 Wksp, Vancouver for a year, and then to the RCD Regt LAD, as an armourer, and to the 2nd Guards, as an armourer after RSM Charlie Smith of the RCD's told me to be out of the RCD's Regiments lines by 1100 hours after I was caught cheering for the 2nd Guards at a hockey game  ::), Then I was posted the 1th Guards as an armourer. I served as a RCEME  armourer with the RCD Recce, summer of 58, and with the 2nd R22R, and then posted to Germany to 4 Fields Wksp RCEME in Ft Chambly, and then to the RCEME LAD with 8th Hussars in Iserlon in 61. Came back to Canada in 62, transfered to the RCDC "Dental" to re-train as Dental Lab Technician. Posted to Trenton, Toronto, radar bases on the mid-Canada line. Went to Cyprus fall of 64 with the 2nd RCR....learned about RCR's and chickens..... Posted to London, and then to Montreal area, went to Egypt fall of 73 with a combined Med/Dental Detachment. We had a platoon of RCR's for security....and they had a pet chicken....believe me... Met up with Brig General Holmes (RCR) at a party...I asked him if he owned the chicken??? ;D...wrong thing to say...he asked me what rank i was....I said "Sgt"  he said" not any more Cpl."....lucky we all had sober thoughts the next day.  Also spent time in CFB Calgary, and CFB Toronto and took my retirement in 1980..

People that impressed me most, # 1, Maj. GL Lodge, Officer Commanding Soldier Apprentice Coy RCEME ...had a crush on his daughter. He was a father figure I never had. #2 Sgt Johnny Bouchard, my first Platoon Sgt...great guy...taught us how to cover our arse. There are many people in the Dental branch that impressed me. When you work hand in hand with Dental Captains....  to Col., you find out how gifted some of those people were.

What bugged me most were airforce types who did six weeks basic at RCAF St. Jean and called it boot camp...we did 2 years basic as Apprentices. We ran our own morning inspections and parades...We had a company of 7 platoons when the 1st platoon graduated

Would I do it again.....YES ...best thing that ever happened to me...I was out of school at 14...grade 9 dropout....had a chance to join at 16 as an Apprentice...jumped at it....No life like it. 
[/quote]

WrenchBender said:
Soon to be a civvie after 29 yrs, 4 mos and 15 days. If my request is finally answered by the system. Then I can start my new job in Kandahar, the military won't let me go so I found a job that will.

WrenchBender
Too funny, I did the exact same thing.  I applied for 3 positions, one in Kabul and 2 in KAF.  I even tried to go as a reservist as I exited the Reg force.  The old saying applied, "you can't get there from here".  I would have had to have been hired as a reservist by a unit for a specific job, then that unit would have had to be willing to let me go.  Oh well, I get a pay raise and I get my 33 year pension + one more adventure in direct support of the mission.

The Beaver said:
Still a dirty civvie ::)

Well, not for long I hope. ;D

Zee Beaver

If you would wash every now and then you wouldn't be so dirty.....  ;D However that can be forgiven, as you are joining the thumperheads, and we are chronically being called dirty tramps......

Rodahn said:
If you would wash every now and then you wouldn't be so dirty.....  ;D However that can be forgiven, as you are joining the thumperheads, and we are chronically being called dirty tramps......
I do my best when I'm in the shower ;)

Beav

Hi,
Served four years in the german military police (with one deployment to Kabul), now I am a Corrections Officer in Canada waiting for my application for Armour Officer in the CF to get through!
The forsaken Secret Security Clearance is killing me, it is taking forever!!!
:salute:

I was in cadets for five years, but just recently quit. Our corps is very small and things were getting tiresome to the point where we were doing the same thing year after year.
I do have an interest in joining the CF though. But I have asthma so I guess I wont know if I will be able to until I try!

Civilian hopefully turned Officer Cadet mid next year  ;D

Retired after 10,757 Days. Now working in Afghanistan as a contractor.

WrenchBender

Finally a NCdt at RMC. 12,461 days till I plan on retiring. If I get that far. ;D

Back