• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying as a PR

Everything you stated here is also required of a Canadian citizen. For someone that has been out of high school for many years; they have to get their high school transcripts on their own accord. Even someone coming in as a Medical Officer has to provide high school transcripts and all university transcripts.
You know what's funny. IRCC is in the same building. Wouldn't I have had to submit a high school credential evaluation to them in order to immigrate to Canada conventionally? (i.e. not as a refugee) Why is that not on my records Oh well guess I need to spend more $ to even get a chance of being considered.

Also, my high school is literally 10,000+ km away in a country with questionable ethics and morals, nevermind digital competency. Reaching out to them may not be enough to facilitate the ECA request to submit the documentation. I aced their CFAT and graduated from applied sciences over here on the honor roll. Guess it's not wartime yet so why bother to hire someone competent.
There is normally done in a private room; even at CFRC Hamilton. I worked out of their offices a number of years ago and never witnessed being people interviewed in the general waiting area. If at any time you feel concerned about the privacy of your information you should bring it to the attention of the person doing the interview vice waiting to say something about it on a internet forum where nothing can be done to correct the deficiency if there was one.
Sure let me just tell the guy holding my damn interview papers that I think he's doing a shit job and isn't abiding by organizational or national security standards.

Not just 1 person but like 3 or so people. So the organization's data integrity standards are lax throughout the first point of contact. Wonderful. They did not have enough private spaces to validate info of all the applicants time effectively (10 or so applicants) so maybe that's what they chose to do it that way.
In all the time I visited CFRC Hamilton I never witnessed homeless individuals on the 2nd floor of that building. If you're starting that these people were outside of the building on James Street, then yes; but that is more than 100m of the CFRC which is on the 2nd floor.

Keep in mind that the military is renting the office space at the James Street location in Hamilton, they do not own it. That is not MDN property and as such dealing with trespassing is not the responsibility of the CAF members.
On the outside of the building. Literally accosted by 2 different cracked out homeless people on my way to and from the major bus stop. Yeah I bus. Try buying an affordable and practical used car in this economic climate, let alone finding safe places to live and work. REALLY disappointing that you have dudes sitting in their air conditioned offices with their cushy unionized government positions and wages not more than 100m away from destitute people with psychological issues. Either sweep them off the street or get them help.

Sorry if I don't enter situations concerning government and authorities with more respect, but damn when I was in college recruiters were offering full rides for people from my program but even with Dean's list and completing immigration those folks at the detachment couldn't give a damn about my application. I wonder why. Maybe because they only want subservient impressionable pre-pubescent kids to burn and churn, like the private sector exploiting temporary foreign workers. But what would I know about living in Canada.

Probably my last post here. I don't need another well intentioned response on behalf of the organization you represent.

You know what's funny. IRCC is in the same building. Wouldn't I have had to submit a high school credential evaluation to them in order to immigrate to Canada conventionally? (i.e. not as a refugee) Why is that not on my records Oh well guess I need to spend more $ to even get a chance of being considered.

. . .

Probably my last post here. I don't need another well intentioned response on behalf of the organization you represent.

Though @standardissuesock may not pass this way again 🙏, it may be helpful to answer his question. "Why is that not on my records?"

Do you think that all the myriad bits of information about your life, insignificant and otherwise, is compiled in one great government file called 'all the crap we know about standardissuesock'? Is it your assumption that it is readily available for access or viewing or dissemination or even use by all and sundry within the government for a purpose other than that for which it was collected?

Since you seemed to be so concerned about the open discussion of some personal information, you can be rest assured (hopefully if they do their job according to the Privacy Act) that the "high school credential evaluation" that you provided to IRCC in order to immigrate to Canada will not be provided to anyone else or be used for a purpose other than for which it was collected.

Collection of personal information
4 No personal information shall be collected by a government institution unless it relates directly to an operating program or activity of the institution.

7 Personal information under the control of a government institution shall not, without the consent of the individual to whom it relates, be used by the institution except
  • (a) for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled by the institution or for a use consistent with that purpose; or
  • (b) for a purpose for which the information may be disclosed to the institution under subsection 8(2).

While there are many Personal Information Banks under the control of IRCC, determining which one (or ones) contain your personal information would require some knowledge of how IRCC files are created (not in my skill set); however, since you specifically mention applying as a permanent resident, the following statement is included in this on-line application guide.
Your personal information is:
  • available to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) employees who need to see it to provide the services to you, and
  • not disclosed to other organizations except as permitted under the provisions of the Privacy Act or the Citizenship Regulations.

Nothing in there about the Canadian Forces or National Defence being able to root around and look for your education history, so the truth about your high school performance is safe.

And the same holds true for your application to the CAF; the information that is collected, how it is used and who may see it is spelled out.

Enrolment Bank – Applicants

Description:
This bank contains all enrolment applications and documentation; and may contain photocopies of personal documents, including: citizenship certificates, birth certificates, educational transcripts, curriculum vitae, and records of decisions of acceptance or rejection.

Class of Individuals: This bank applies to applicants for enrolment in the CF.

Purpose: The purpose of this bank is to maintain records, for administrative and statistical purposes, of persons applying for service careers.

Consistent Uses: The information in this bank is used to determine applicants' suitability for enrolment in the Canadian Forces, to determine whether or not suitable applicants will be offered enrolment, to establish terms of service that will be offered on enrolment to selected applicants and to formulate enrolment offers for selected applicants. Documents intended solely to determine suitability and aid in selection are not used for any other purpose. Basic identifying documents, documents related to entitlement to benefits after enrolment and those related to terms of service become part of the permanent personnel file following enrolment. Statistical data based on this bank does not include the identity of individual applicants.

Retention and Disposal Standards: Crew results, test results and CREW survey statistics are provided to data bank DND PPE 815 and documentation relating to successful applicants is transferred to the appropriate Particular Employee (PE) bank on enrolment. Unsuccessful applicants' records relating to unsuccessful applicants are destroyed after three calendar years.

RDA Number: 98/005
Related Record Number: DND RET 375
TBS Registration: 000166
Bank Number: DND PPU 025

Hello, I applied as a PR not too long ago. If you are interested, here's a summary of the documents they asked me to gather

• Asked to provide records of: employment history , address history and travel at least from 10 years ago or up unto the age of 16 (it helps to have this info prepared)
  • asked to provide 3 references. While you can use community members to an extent (religious services, volunteer organizations), I would recommend using professional and educational references
  • writing the CFAT. its not that hard. If you had to meet prerequisites to enroll in Engineering you should be fine with some preparation. Outdated test imo after taking it, but apparently it directly correlates to your eligibility of your chosen trade.
  • Asked to provide originals of high school and college transcripts. This is a big one. I graduated high school almost 10 years ago in a different country and trying to coordinate to get this done is a nightmare. It's also not cheap and they want me to pay for this before I even get told if im eligible for any trades.

Not impressed with the application process for foreign nationals.
I am born Canadian. Even I had some bumps as I lived overseas for a while. It is a job where you may need to be trusted with lots of sensitive information. Tell me, would the country you live in hire brand new immigrants who are not full citizens? I know most don't. So be patient. It is a skill you will learn in the CAF.

And the same holds true for your application to the CAF; the information that is collected, how it is used and who may see it is spelled out.
liberal use of the term 'who may see' it there bud considering the fact that a CAF member openly disclosed personal information of a non member in earshot of 10 other applicants.

and not just me. everyone else in the room. seems like your own administrative staff have a hard time prioritizing best practices over speed. and im supposed to trust my life to folks like that? who have issues completing clerical tasks effectively? what a joke.

I was about to close the thread (actually did) and realized that it was actually hijacked.

BurmeseRain9

do you have any other questions?

I was about to close the thread (actually did) and realized that it was actually hijacked.

BurmeseRain9

Hello! Today I finished the "apply now" online employment application but now it says I am ready to proceed to the next steps. I am just a little confused since I just submitted it. (last night I opened the application and it sent me an email saying I'll get a call from my detachment. Which I did not yet, so I wrote them an email). Anyway just a bit a confused about it. If I should wait for their response or if I should go ahead and set an appointment.

Thank you everyone for responding.

Hello! Today I finished the "apply now" online employment application but now it says I am ready to proceed to the next steps. I am just a little confused since I just submitted it. (last night I opened the application and it sent me an email saying I'll get a call from my detachment. Which I did not yet, so I wrote them an email). Anyway just a bit a confused about it. If I should wait for their response or if I should go ahead and set an appointment.

Thank you everyone for responding.
It could take a week or two for you to get an answer to your application, depending on how busy they are and where you fall in the queue.

It could take a week or two for you to get an answer to your application, depending on how busy they are and where you fall in the queue.
Thank you but just last night, around 11. I recieved an email which asked me to book an appointment within 2 weeks (extremely fast considering no preparation). Bring in my stuff to the detachment center. Now can I take the test on the third week instead of first 2 weeks and what are some good way to practice for the CFAT.

Thank you but just last night, around 11. I recieved an email which asked me to book an appointment within 2 weeks (extremely fast considering no preparation). Bring in my stuff to the detachment center. Now can I take the test on the third week instead of first 2 weeks and what are some good way to practice for the CFAT.
You can delay the test if you'd like; your file only moves as fast as you finishing the requirements for each step. So if it takes you an extra 2 months to study for the CFAT and prepare for it, then your file won't move forward for that 2 months.

As for good ways to practice for the CFAT; there are a bunch of threads on this forum for that exact topic. I haven't personally vetted the information in this thread but this seems to have a great deal of information and assistance: Seeking CFAT Preparation Materials - Request for Assistance

BurmeseRain9

Hello! In case you're waiting for any further response from me. I am okay with this thread being closed as I have started journey after CFAT. Thanks for being patient.

I am also a permanent resident here, I applied for the army a year ago as a Direct Entry officer. My CFAT and interview are already done, and the medical got approved in October, currently, it is at the reliability screening stage. I am honestly confused about the realistic timelines and unsure who to contact. I received a generic reply from my recruitment center saying that it takes around 18-24 months. Is there a way to know the status, my CAF portal hasn't been updated in a year it still shows "ready for testing". Should I book an appointment and speak to my case worker? Thanks!

I am also a permanent resident here, I applied for the army a year ago as a Direct Entry officer. My CFAT and interview are already done, and the medical got approved in October, currently, it is at the reliability screening stage. I am honestly confused about the realistic timelines and unsure who to contact. I received a generic reply from my recruitment center saying that it takes around 18-24 months. Is there a way to know the status, my CAF portal hasn't been updated in a year it still shows "ready for testing". Should I book an appointment and speak to my case worker? Thanks!
The 18-24 months wait you were quoted is for your file to sit in a queue in another government department to be reviewed... it is the same process timeline for all federal security clearance requests, across all government departments. The review process itself doesn't take 2 years, that's how long the backlog of applications is. For applicants that don't require a pre-security assessment, it takes just as long for their security clearances to be processed (same for the periodic renewals for all CAF members) but is typically done after enrolment, rather than before.

Hi,
From which recruiting center your file is processing?

The 18-24 months wait you were quoted is for your file to sit in a queue in another government department to be reviewed... it is the same process timeline for all federal security clearance requests, across all government departments. The review process itself doesn't take 2 years, that's how long the backlog of applications is. For applicants that don't require a pre-security assessment, it takes just as long for their security clearances to be processed (same for the periodic renewals for all CAF members) but is typically done after enrolment, rather than before.
Thanks for the reply, what would you suggest in this case? I have been in the process for a year now. I wish the recruitment center could tell me the approximate timeline as I understand the procedure and policies are placed for a reason.

Thanks for the reply, what would you suggest in this case? I have been in the process for a year now. I wish the recruitment center could tell me the approximate timeline as I understand the procedure and policies are placed for a reason.
My only suggestion is to not expect it to go quickly, unfortunately. The recruiting centre did tell you the approximate timeline (18-24 months), that is all the fidelity they have.

Back