• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What handy things should we take on our road trip to first posting?

Shaynelle

Inactive
Reaction score
I know lots here have driven across the country with wife/children/pets so I'm hoping to get some good feedback.

We are being posted for the first time, and most likely going to be purchasing a cargo van, which is a mini van with only two seats at the front.   I think this will be a good vehicle for the two of us and our two cats (who are too old to fly) to drive across four provinces; then hubby can use it for his work (his other, non CF job).

My question to you is, what things should we make sure we take with us?   So far I have:

* water (for us and the cats)
* cooler with food
* cat food
* disposable litter boxes
* blanket for cats to snuggle up in
* first aid kit
* good road map of Canada
* an accordion file with any important paperwork in it
* information on pet friendly accommodations along the way
* flashlight

Should we buy a large crate to keep the cats in so they aren't wandering in the car?   And what else would you suggest we considering taking with us?

Thanks!!

Shaynelle

A blanket for yourselves JUST in case(seriously)! Rope, NEVER know when you'll need that...

Also, I would strongly suggest a jerry can of extra gas in case you get lost, which can happen to the best navigators...

GOOD LUCK with your drive and first posting!

As someone who has driven long distances with cats in the car, it all boils down to your cats like for driving.  If they love it, you'll have no problems.  I'd probably have a cat carrier (or crate) for transferring them to a hotel room but other than that I wouldn't worry about it.

If they hate it, be ready for some scared hyper cats.  I drove from Winnipeg to Edmonton with one of my cats howling in my ear till Saskatoon.  Not a pleasant experience I must say.  

Best bet is take them for a test drive( if you haven't already).  If they are absolutes horrors on the road consider getting them a feline sleeping pill.  You can get them from any vet and they are usually used for flying them (you do know you can be reimbursed for flying them on posting right?) but it works good to calm them down on long drives.  They are also relatively inexpensive.

Depends on the cats again but I can't say either of my cats went to the bathroom or ate while driving on the road, mind you it was only from Edmonton to Winnipeg (11-14 hrs) or vice versa.  But yours might as it seems you'll be on the road for a few days.

i never travel without the means to boil water, eg. a power inverter and an electric kettle or a camping stove and a pot.   even out in the bush i carry a steel cup and heat tabs.   my point is you never know when you will want to reheat the coffee you bought six hours ago or d a cup of tea at sunset. its a kind of handy thing that can make your rest breaks not dependant on were the truck stop is.  carry whatever hot beverage you prefer.        best of luck in your new posting.

I would recommend a bag of every pharmecutical you might need,leave room in your vehicle for stuff the movers wont bring ie)bbq tank,etc. bring a camera, you can go on mapquest and find a decent hotel every 500km that you can prebook with a credit card.You can buy a lockbox at walmart for $20 to keep all your valuables in(dont let them pack them).Bring a tub of baby wipes that are great for everything.And maybee check locations of nearest vet at your destination incase of a problem and they can also let you know about boarders and pet stores in your new town.

I drove from St.John's to Edmonton and Edmonton to St.John's...Twice (sucker for punishment  ::)) In winter you and your soul mate (soon to be tested on this one) will need a fleece pullover, it gets hot, it gets cold in a vehicle and you will always be the opposite of whoever is in the vehicle with you! Lots of music, cus radio stations suck for the most part. A cooler for food and drinks, never know where the next Tims is. In winter travel I'd suggest an emergency kit, first aid, blankets, candles, sand, extra batteries, gloves and a hat. That's all I can think off right now, I'll post later if I think of anything.

Good luck

Pack as if you were going to go winter camping.  Bring whatever you figure you'd need to camp in the woods.  Make sure you have warm clothes and boots that will handle both the cold and wet.  Prepare your vehicle with lots of extras; oil, washer fluid, spare parts like bulbs, wipers etc.  If you are using a cargo van, get a sheet of plastic to seal off the rear from the front, by sealing it just behind your seats; and this will cut down on some of the heating problems.  Cargo Vans won't heat up until you reach your destination.  Depending on where you are driving, tire chains in winter may be a suggestion.  How much room will dictate what you can pack, so concentrate on things that will keep you warm in case you break down or get stuck in a drift.

If you are going to be travelling on major roads and highways, you will not have to worry too much about bringing a "disaster kit", so you can bring more luxuries and garbage bags to throw away all the 'scraps'.

Two things:

If you don't already have a CAA membership, get one.

Bring your sense of humour, seasoned with a sense of adventure!

Dave

Just a caveat on kitty sleeping pills from someone in the vet profession.  How old are your cats for starters?  There are different types of sedatives available for cats and, depending on their age, different safety ranges as well.  If you can possible swing it keep the cats unsedated.  If they will completely drive you mad you might consider taking them to their vet for a check up to ensure that a sedative would be safe for them.  Regardless of the type, they are not recommended for extended periods so a faster trip there is probably the best idea.  I drove from Ontario to B.C. with two lizards and a budgie who didn't shut up the whole time.  I found the best accomodations were usually the motel type place where you had your own door, etc.  I strongly recommend prior advice and see how the cats react to longer car rides before the "big one".  I also strongly recommend a crate of some type unless your cats sincerely get stressed out in one.  They are safer for the pets and you.  Think of losing one in the middle of nowhere when you opened the car door for a few seconds.  It can happen!  Also, during hard braking your little guys could end up going through the windshield rather than being seatbelted safely in the car in their carrier.  Cats can also get under the brake pedal and cause accidents if they lose it in the car. 

Good luck during your trip.

I drove from New brunswick to edmonton this summer with my kitty and i suggest you bring a carrier. My kitty liked to wander, especially under the brake pedle which is dangerous. I also put my kitty on a leash and let her wander when we stopped for a break, so she could get some fresh air. My kitty wouldnt eat in the car, nor would she use the litter box until we stopped at a hotel. I don't think you will need drugs for the cats, i asked my vet and they said they are really unnecessary. Also, i didnt tell the motels that we had a cat and it didnt seem to matter to anyone.
I don't know where you are driving from or to but if you are going to drive through northern ontario i suggest that you bring lots of things to entertain yourself. It was the worst drive ever. Bring snacks, and lots of water too since sometimes you end up driving for a long time before you hit a rest stop. Also i knew i would want to listen to my own music since in some places you can't get a radio station in so i bought those vinyl cases you put just the cd in without the case and i found it was good because it was so compact(and i have alot of cd's).
Just remember that eventually you are going to hate being stuck in a car with that one person. I drove with a friend and after awhile we annoyed each other a little, so take frequent breaks, keep laughing and if all else fails just don't talk to each other for a few km's, hehe.
Oh yeah, clean the car out every rest stop or else you end up kicking cups and bottles and wrappers out of your way for the next few hundred km's.
Good luck with the move. >:D

Good points from all around.....

Might I suggest a cell phone with that CAA membership?

May come in handy.

Regards

If you do get a crate or a kennel for your cats put them in it prior before you leave (ie for a night or something), if they have never been in one before be prepared for crying. You can acually train your cats for them just by locking them in one for periods of time (did this to my sisters cat when I was younger).

music to drown out the animals, sunglasses, and toilet paper. Trust me, the last is one of those "better to have and not need than need and not have" kinda things... ;)

Thanks everyone for your help!  We made it to Winnipeg, safe and sound.  The trip wasn't so bad, and luckily both cats were fine.  One was so fine in fact I think he really enjoyed car travel!  The other one I think became a bit car sick, but only to the point of being quite lathargic.  Once we stopped at the hotel or B&B he was fine.

We really took a lot of the suggested items, and probably have a few to add.  But that will be another time as we are still unpacking boxes and moving stuff around, organizing and hopefully having one BIG garage sale to get rid of some of the stuff that was in storage for over 3 yrs!  I will also post where we stayed along the way from Vancouver to Winnipeg.  We stayed in some very, very nice pet friendly bed and breakfasts that I really recommend (all were covered within the DND rate by the way).

So I will update with more in the next few weeks if all goes well. I just wanted to again, thank everyone who posted as it truly did help us on our trip.

Shaynelle

camochick said:
I drove from New brunswick to edmonton this summer with my kitty and i suggest you bring a carrier. My kitty liked to wander, especially under the brake pedle which is dangerous. I also put my kitty on a leash and let her wander when we stopped for a break, so she could get some fresh air. My kitty wouldnt eat in the car, nor would she use the litter box until we stopped at a hotel. I don't think you will need drugs for the cats, i asked my vet and they said they are really unnecessary. Also, i didnt tell the motels that we had a cat and it didnt seem to matter to anyone.
I don't know where you are driving from or to but if you are going to drive through northern ontario i suggest that you bring lots of things to entertain yourself. It was the worst drive ever. Bring snacks, and lots of water too since sometimes you end up driving for a long time before you hit a rest stop. Also i knew i would want to listen to my own music since in some places you can't get a radio station in so i bought those vinyl cases you put just the cd in without the case and i found it was good because it was so compact(and i have alot of cd's).
Just remember that eventually you are going to hate being stuck in a car with that one person. I drove with a friend and after awhile we annoyed each other a little, so take frequent breaks, keep laughing and if all else fails just don't talk to each other for a few km's, hehe.
Oh yeah, clean the car out every rest stop or else you end up kicking cups and bottles and wrappers out of your way for the next few hundred km's.
Good luck with the move. >:D

Hummmmmm.......where have i heard this story before ?

Shaynelle, hopefully both of you will drive.   I drove this freind once from new brunswick to edmonton and i had to do all the driving...it sucked !

Oh and i forgot to mention that this freind got anoying at times and kept kicking around empty cups, bottles and wrapers for hundreds of Kms.   Not to mention that she wanted to do the trip in 3 days and i had to drive back to NB alone......

Also make sure you can read the other person's mind...how else are you going to know she wanted to drive trough winnipeg insted of the perimiter hwy........and save your subway stikers........watch out for deer.......

Back