• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

We get the governments we deserve, don't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to rain on your parades Jollyjacktar and Thucydides, but hurricane season is fall! Not spring or summer (unless you count the last little bit at the end of the summer, from time to time).

Just saying.  :dunno:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Hate to rain on your parades Jollyjacktar and Thucydides, but hurricane season is fall! Not spring or summer (unless you count the last little bit at the end of the summer, from time to time).

Just saying.  :dunno:

Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th, so spring into fall...  ;)

Though I predit this first season will be mild, but come 2017 the cycles of blatent corruption and unkept promises will return us to some typical political storms.

I thought this thread was about the government, but we can keep the weather analogy going  ;D

First, Weatherdog, some vocabulary: What you refer to  (starting June 1st each year) is what the NOAA and other weather orgs call the "North-Atlantic Tropical Storm Season" because that is when they start to monitor the revolving type depressions along the tropics from Africa and across the Atlantic. If they get big enough to be Tropical Depressions or Tropical Storms and above, they get a name. But in practice, very few of these develop into a hurricane before September*. Rare exceptions exist, like Bob in 1991, which occurred in the last two weeks of August. I think there was another one in the late 1800's that occurred in August also.

The analogy is clear here: This new government will gather little whiffs of scandals and corrupt practices here and there in the summer of their existence and these will slowly develop into larger and larger storms, until by the end (their Autumn, as in their "Fall"), they will be full blown hurricanes that will sweep them away from power.  :nod:

*: Just for info value for people: This year, for instance is a relatively mild Tropical Storm Season. Started with a small one, weak Tropical Storm Andrea on June 5, with first actual hurricane, Henderson, occurring on September 16. 

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I thought this thread was about the government, but we can keep the weather analogy going  ;D

First, Weatherdog, some vocabulary: What you refer to  (starting June 1st each year) is what the NOAA and other weather orgs call the "North-Atlantic Tropical Storm Season" because that is when they start to monitor the revolving type depressions along the tropics from Africa and across the Atlantic. If they get big enough to be Tropical Depressions or Tropical Storms and above, they get a name. But in practice, very few of these develop into a hurricane before September*. Rare exceptions exist, like Bob in 1991, which occurred in the last two weeks of August. I think there was another one in the late 1800's that occurred in August also.

The analogy is clear here: This new government will gather little whiffs of scandals and corrupt practices here and there in the summer of their existence and these will slowly develop into larger and larger storms, until by the end (their Autumn, as in their "Fall"), they will be full blown hurricanes that will sweep them away from power.  :nod:

*: Just for info value for people: This year, for instance is a relatively mild Tropical Storm Season. Started with a small one, weak Tropical Storm Andrea on June 5, with first actual hurricane, Henderson, occurring on September 16.

I knew exactly what terminology I was using when I refered to it as Hurricane Season... It's the same terminology used by the NOAA's National Hurricane Center... Weather and by extension weather terminology is a bit of thing in my job ;)

Colin P said:
I accept a change in government, i just find the current lovefest and amnesia of the crowd nauseating.

Simple solution - Start reading the Brit, or Polish or Azerbaijani news.

Even their tarts are more interesting.

Chris Pook said:
Simple solution - Start reading the Brit, or Polish or Azerbaijani news.

Even their tarts are more interesting.

Always were ... back in the 1970s and 80s pretty much every Brit Officers' Mess had multiple subscriptions to The Sun ... which, to be fair, had excellent sports coverage, but also had ...

images
samantha-fox-136394381472903901-141114175536.jpg
280x400.jpg

... the charming Ms Samantha Fox.

Of course everyone stopped by the table in the Mess ante room to check the cricket or rugby scores, not the well endowed Ms Fox.  :nod:

E.R. Campbell said:
Always were ... back in the 1970s and 80s pretty much every Brit Officers' Mess had multiple subscriptions to The Sun ... which, to be fair, had excellent sports coverage, but also had ...

images
samantha-fox-136394381472903901-141114175536.jpg
280x400.jpg

... the charming Ms Samantha Fox.

Of course everyone stopped by the table in the Mess ante room to check the cricket or rugby scores, not the well endowed Ms Fox.  :nod:
I'll admit I skipped the scores and went straight to Ms Fox.

my72jeep said:
I'll admit I skipped the scores and went straight to Ms Fox.

Well, no, not really; I mean, the scores were farther back, from about P. 10 and beyond, so Ms Fox was just "on the way," so to speak, and one just happened to stumble upon her, uhhh ... attributes.

cavalryman said:
There were scores in the Sun?  ???

So I'm told  :nod:  ... rumour has it they were somewhere after the bountiful Ms Fox.

Dammit. Keeps happening... always being misconstrued.

People assuming Austrian when I meant Corsican and now this.....

Tarts, People!  Tarts!

whole-baked-tart.jpg

Chris Pook said:
Dammit. Keeps happening... always being misconstrued.

People assuming Austrian when I meant Corsican and now this.....

Tarts, People!  Tarts!

whole-baked-tart.jpg
That's his  story and he sticking to it !  :nod: ;)

Well, these tarts are sticky (especially the Austrian honey-covered ones - don't know about Corsicans  ;D).

There's another word that could be misconstrued: Honey!

Adam Vaughan is the MP for Spadina-Fort York, in downtown Toronto, a very well know city councillor and a bit of a "giant killer" in that he defeated Olivia Chow; he seemed like a "shoo-in" for cabinet, but ...

Rumours are floating about, spread by Jane Taber in the Globe and Mail that "the federal government quickly shut down any chance of [Toronto Island Airport] expansion to appease Mr. Vaughan for not naming him to cabinet."

Ms Taber goes on ...

"Earlier this month, and just a week after being sworn in to cabinet, Transport Minister Marc Garneau quickly tweeted his decision: “I confirm that GofC position is same as LPC commitment: we will not reopen tripartite agreement for YTZ.”

He gave no reasons or an explanation why he wouldn’t even wait for the studies on the effect of jets and the expansion of the runway to boaters, the harbour, noise levels and the environment."

Depending upon who you believe this decision is either what the residents of downtown Toronto want and need or it is economic vandalism that will cost Toronto thousands of good jobs and hundreds of millions in growth, year after year after year.

While a fan of Toronto's Island airport, I do understand (in part) the rationale behind not expanding it.  The land-side infrastructure is barely up to the task of supporting passenger movements now; it would likely cost in the low nine figures to reconfigure the land side to support larger aircraft and a significantly increased passenger throughput.  While the optics of appeasing the raving NIMBYs of Toronto is bad, the infra demands of Toronto to support an expansion of the airport might have tipped the scales.

More importantly, a little more than four years from now, once the government has a better sense of where they need support for re-election, this could become a "we support growing Toronto's economy" announcement; what's politics if not a series of 180 degree reversals for tactical advantage?

dapaterson said:
While a fan of Toronto's Island airport, I do understand (in part) the rationale behind not expanding it.  The land-side infrastructure is barely up to the task of supporting passenger movements now; it would likely cost in the low nine figures to reconfigure the land side to support larger aircraft and a significantly increased passenger throughput.  While the optics of appeasing the raving NIMBYs of Toronto is bad, the infra demands of Toronto to support an expansion of the airport might have tipped the scales.

More importantly, a little more than four years from now, once the government has a better sense of where they need support for re-election, this could become a "we support growing Toronto's economy" announcement; what's politics if not a series of 180 degree reversals for tactical advantage?

I wonder how that balances with the voters in Quebec that will be affected with Bombardier's sales (or not) to Porter that were predicated on the expansion of the airport? 

Dimsum said:
I wonder how that balances with the voters in Quebec that will be affected with Bombardier's sales (or not) to Porter that were predicated on the expansion of the airport?

I suspect Robert Deluce has a plan "B" for Porter.  (And likely a C and possibly a D to boot)  For example, what if Porter established a second hub in Montreal to fly C-Series jets?

Or what would happen if the CAF ended up with a dozen of them for FWSAR, with the ability to reconfigure them for refugee rescue and humanitarian aid delivery?  Nevermind if it's what we need, its pork-barrel politics...

dapaterson said:
I suspect Robert Deluce has a plan "B" for Porter.  (And likely a C and possibly a D to boot)  For example, what if Porter established a second hub in Montreal to fly C-Series jets?

You can have ten hubs in Montreal if you like, it doesn't make any difference if you are stuck landing at Pearson in Toronto. TO is where a second hub is needed.

On top of that, more numerous hubs won't be the issue in Montreal over the next four to five years: road infrastructure will be, as we are simultaneously rebuilding the main central road interchange in the City (the Turcot) - thus making east-west circulation a nightmare (meaning huge extra lead time required to go to Dorval airport) while rebuilding the busiest bridge in Canada and main South shore access from Montreal (the Champlain bridge) - thus making circulation to and from the South shore a nightmare (meaning huge extra lead time to go to Saint-Hubert airport). And of course, Mirabel is being demolished, so ...

Oldgateboatdriver said:
You can have ten hubs in Montreal if you like, it doesn't make any difference if you are stuck landing at Pearson in Toronto. TO is where a second hub is needed.

On top of that, more numerous hubs won't be the issue in Montreal over the next four to five years: road infrastructure will be, as we are simultaneously rebuilding the main central road interchange in the City (the Turcot) - thus making east-west circulation a nightmare (meaning huge extra lead time required to go to Dorval airport) while rebuilding the busiest bridge in Canada and main South shore access from Montreal (the Champlain bridge) - thus making circulation to and from the South shore a nightmare (meaning huge extra lead time to go to Saint-Hubert airport). And of course, Mirabel is being demolished, so ...

I can't figure out why they could not find another use for Mirabel......Like a processing center for all these refugees coming in......or something like a Freight Handling Center......

I am not looking forward to more traffic on the 30 than there already is.  Already it can't handle the volume from the 15 to the 20. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back