• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Gagetown Thread- Merged

Dude when I mentioned wild lfe at the Oromoscow Hotel I was refering to the roaches silverfish earwigs, crabs, lice............

mover1 said:
Dude when I mentioned wild lfe at the Oromoscow Hotel I was refering to the roaches silverfish earwigs, crabs, lice............

I know where I am NOT going unless I carry I mighty big can of RAID...hehehe  ;D

I currently live in Oromocto and grew up in Fredericton.

Its not a bad place but a car is essential.  Oromocto has everything you ned to survive, but no where to have fun since the demise of the Camelot.  Fredericton is about a 20 minute drive but Frederictonians have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the military.  They love our money going into the economy but they hate to see us there speding it.  Its not that bad, but most of the quality chicks are into bars not hooks if you know what I mean.

mover1 said:
The university means a fresh new crop of cuties for you young guys and the 20/20 club has tons to offer for you big game hunters with cougar licences.

rofl, that had to be the funnest reply i've ever seen  :crybaby:

I've been thinking of driving my car from Toronto to Gagetown after BMQ for my trades training. Will I have an opportunity to do this? Is it worth it, or not really necessary to have a car there?

Not entirely sure if you'll be able, check with your orderly room. But it's worth it if you'll be there for quite a while as spending money on taxis to get to Fredericton is a pain in the you know what. Yes, in my opinion, having a car in gagetown is worth it. May i suggest going with someone, as safety & give yourself a brake from driving.  Hope this helps!!

FYI, I was staff there in 1999 & I had a blast. However I had a lot of leeway as staff.

It depend's on your situation with your course and what quarters your in. I was there in 2003 and the kitchen and canex were a ways, having my car there paid off.

As fellow members mentionned, it is great to have a car down here because Oromocto provides you with the basics only. Nice restaurants, bars, clothing stores...ALL in Fredericton.

Oromocto :-fast food, Canex, grocery stores, gas bars ,Griffins pub ,base theater, schools, that's it!

My two cents

actually Restigouche Rd is the highlight of oromocto. ::)

Looks like I'll drive if I can. Will I be able to (if I'm there for 043 training - 20 weeks, maybe SQ as well, another 10)?

You should try to bring your car to St-Jean in the first place ,because when you're done basic training, they put troops on the bus or "duty van" the next day. I don't think they'll let you go back to Toronto to get your car and stuff, you know!

So if your ride is already in St-Jean, you leave with it and that's all. St-Jean to Gagetown is a +-12 hours ride, so they will expect you to show up the same day or to report the next morning to accomodations (to get your key for your room and stuff).

delavan said:
You should try to bring your car to St-Jean in the first place ,because when you're done basic training, they put troops on the bus or "duty van" the next day. I don't think they'll let you go back to Toronto to get your car and stuff, you know!

So if your ride is already in St-Jean, you leave with it and that's all. St-Jean to Gagetown is a +-12 hours ride, so they will expect you to show up the same day or to report the next morning to accomodations (to get your key for your room and stuff).

I was under the impression there is 2 weeks of Driver Training in Borden between BMQ and SQ. I guess once things become a little more clear I'll decide.

Well ,I don't know your case ,but "basic driver wheel course" is given on most bases and you don't need to be in Borden to learn how to drive a MLVW or LSVW.

But anyway, take care and have fun!

delavan said:
Well ,I don't know your case ,but "basic driver wheel course" is given on most bases and you don't need to be in Borden to learn how to drive a MLVW or LSVW.

But anyway, take care and have fun!

According to the info given by the CFRC and on the recruiting website for Combat Engineers, the driver training is in Borden. However, looking at it again, it's after BMQ and SQ not between them as I stated earlier.

I just received word last week that I will be posted to Gagetown following BMQ.  I am looking for information about Gagetown PMQ's or the housing market in Oramocto.  I have read some pretty horrifying PMQ stories on this forum and I am really hoping Gagetown my be the exception.

I realize there is a Homefront thread about these kind of things but I figured since I am going to be Air Force I'll take a chance and post here, and hope someone from the base sees it.

I might suggest, that seeing as you are probably within a few hours drive of Gagetown/Oromocto, that you drive down and have a look.  The Home Front Forums do have a lot on Military housing and the availability of apartments or real estate in most areas.  I am sorry that there is as yet no Thread as yet dedicated solely to Gagetown, Oromocto or Fredericton, but then there are also the MLS sites which most of us use when getting posted to a new location for stuff like that.  For Real Estate questions, try one of the MLS sites.  Re Max, Century 21, and all the rest of the major Realtors use these sites to advertise their sales.  I will let you do your own search of what you think is pertinant.

Back