• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Gagetown Thread- Merged

Hmm..I wonder how they'd feel about me having such "goonchy kit" (stuff I wasn't issued).

There isn't much to do in Gagetown, if you don't have a car consider bringing a bike if you have one.

As far as non-issue kit goes, that varies from Coy to Coy and from Pl to Pl.  If it stands out then it could be an issue.  I've been a course officer at AATC for over a year now.  We let thins like 64 Pat rucksacks, stealth suits and jungle boots go in the field.  When it comes to Special Forces type kit, thats where you start to get into a grey zone.  Don't expect to be allowed to wear whatever you want and don't tell anyone that I told you you could use any of the above items.

"But CAPTAIN..... (whiney voice)... This Officer who said he was a Course officer here told me on army.ca that I could wear me jungle boots!"

I can just see it now.

#1 Principle of Leadership = CYA..............cover your ass

thorbahn said:
Hmm..I wonder how they'd feel about me having such "goonchy kit" (stuff I wasn't issued).

Just don't arrive with a set of golf clubs and tennis racket.

CFB Gagetown is a magical place.  If you have or can bring a vehicle, do so.  You're about 20 minutes from Fredericton which is not too bad for a New Brunswick city.  Oromocto, on the other hand, is dull as dish water.  There is not much to do there, mostly a bedroom community.

As for gear for the field, be sure to bring warm stuff.  I remember being on my FOO course in 1992 and freezing at night in Hersey impact area in the middle of July.  Bring your combat gloves (don't assume you won't need them) and I always brought my wooley pooly sweater (or something of the like) since it would keep me warm on cool damp summer nights.

A bug bar and a lot of bug juice is essential because the mosquito factory in the training area will eat you alive.  I don't know much about M-5 or M minus five, as we used to call it after it first opened.  I stood duty there a few times but I lived in the Sgts shacks, so I couldn't tell you much more.  It does look like a prison.  Good luck.

PJ D-Dog

W Bty? Arty school?...Just got my posting message, off to Gagetown i am, wondering if anyone here is out there  ;D

Jane

From what I remember, most weekends are free however, you are in the field most of the rest of the time. Somewhere around 200 days+ a year...more bullets than you will ever see in a Regiment, but less of the tactics(co-operation with the supported arms)

cbt arms sub tech said:
Whats your job for W Battery if you know, good size base, hope you have a car...

Yea thanks, I've been there before, anyway my message stated OP Sig but I'm not holding my breath, i spent a summer in W Bty so i know all about the field, i have an OT also so hopefully my time there will be short.

Jane

Any good places nearby to de-stress during some time off while on CAP?  Gagetown or Fredricton...
Thanks!

the camelot I hear is wicked for that....

Spas...Gagetown???....well I guess anything is possible....

dileas

tess

The Camelot is ancient history and the Hill Top isn't what it use to be.  Can't say I saw or heard of any escapades at spas last time I was there in Feb/Mar 05.  Many great British types pubs in downtown Freddie.

411 shows:
Applied Therapeutic Massage Clinic
Merle Norman & Day Spa
On the Pond Lodge & Spa
Can't vouch for any of them though.

Tess

The Camelot has been closed for a while now - about a year now!!!

Shadow

There are too many to write out (over a page in the Yellow Pages of ads and listings) just take a look in the phone book when you get here.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

There was a "Gentleman's Club" but when I lived there I remember it being raided and shut down. It seem the police frown upon prostitution and drug dealing in the city. Cheers.

Thanks, I'm not going there, but I have a friend who is doing CAP and thought a nice birthday gift would be a gift certificate for a massage or something...  I doubt she would want to go to a gentlemen's club  ha ha

"Thanks, I'm not going there, but I have a friend who is doing CAP and thought a nice birthday gift would be a gift certificate for a massage or something...  I doubt she would want to go to a gentlemen's club  ha ha"

Okay this is a prime example of my misinterpreting people's statements. Cheers.

I'll be doing my dp1 June 16th, then off to W battery for 3 weeks in the field to support a course.

Back