• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The air cadet thread

Cadets don't need coats

Just kidding..Actually I think the new parka looks pretty good and very sharp!

Itsa about time something was done about the overcoat. I remeber having to wear one and not liking it very much.

Slim

Really? I really dislike the look of the new coats. Yes, they're nice, and more pratical, but I greatly prefer the old overcoat on looks. Just seemed to look less like we were off to go skiing than with the current jacket......

yoman said:
I think the parka is great, keeps you very warm. I don't know what else you would need besides having less clips to attach the overcoat and the liner.

The parka is good for short times. But overtime the coat will give and water will just soak in.

Short times of what? In the rain? Because if thats what you mean then yes the water will get through, its not designed as a rain coat. And believe it or not, water got through the old ones too. Trust me on that one. Wasn't fun either.

cheungvictor said:
The parka is good for short times. But overtime the coat will give and water will just soak in.

I don`t believe it was made to be a raincoat. More for winter I think. And yes your right the water will go threw after a while.

Well, I've been lurking this site for far too long and have finally decided to sign on.  I was a cadet with 845 in Mississauga from 85 - 91 (yes I'm old).  I'm currently a CIC officer with an Army cadet corps in Ottawa. As for the new parka, they do represent the best possible option for cadets.  While not as formal as the old trenchy the new parka is a better fit for the program, and gives the cadets a better platform to use in multiple situations.  Say what you like, but the new coat is better suited to cadet activities in my book (but I've only been around the system for 20 years so what do I know)....

Less than someone whos been in it for 21.

845 in Mississauga you say? Now THAT'S a good squadron  ;) Just out of curosity, were you around during one of Maj Beck's many tenures as CO?

As for the parka, I agree that it's better as far as functionality goes, just doesn't look as sharp. On Rememberance Day for example, seeing the Cenotaph Guards in parkas... just didn't look quite as nice as the old overcoats I remember from my first years in... on marches progress though, I guess.

rbaumann_845 said:
845 in Mississauga you say? Now THAT'S a good squadron  ;) Just out of curosity, were you around during one of Maj Beck's many tenures as CO?

Indeed - those days did involve that certain Major.  We were also wearing the green uniforms (with blue nametags as we neared 1993), the squadron had a drill team, rifle team (with .303 Enflields), full band and a Colour Party.  Winter exercises lasted a week between Christmas and New Years - with logistic support from the Garrison in Downsview (arctic survival gear, MLVWs, Iltis, etc) - good times.

Sloaner - good to see you again.  Last I saw you was in Mississauga working for the government on Dundas.  My last name rhymes with SPort.

So was anyone in the santa clause parade? I heard a sqn or two were invited from Ottawa...

mandal said:
So was anyone in the santa clause parade? I heard a sqn or two were invited from Ottawa...

Nope not hear, not that one anyways. We are doing the Orleans Santa Clause Parade (Orleans is part of Ottawa) this Saturday. My participation is pending until I know the out come of my hockey tournament going on the same day. I hope we win or else I can't go  :(

rbaumann_845:  Yes I was around for one of Maj. Becks tenures as CO (he was my second CO in the squadron, and very much a mentor to many of us).  He is one of the few people I will always call sir as he deserves no less.  Indeed 845 will always be the paramount air cadet squadron in my mind (it always feels like home).  Am hoping there will be some effort to mark the 30th anniversary of the squadron come June.  I was on staff there for a time as well (CI 91 - O/Cdt. 93 - Lt. 97).  I hope you're taking care of my sqaudron while I'm away. 

Zoomie:  Good to see you here as well, from other threads I understand you're now a proud papa.  Congrats.  Do you see much of S.Clay?  I understand you fly with her hubby.  It was a good wedding last fall.  I'm now working at our National Headquarters in Ottawa (our department name keeps changing soits hard to say who I work for some days), spent some time kicking around the PRes in the last few years, but back to the CIC just due to work commitments not being flexible with the reserve commitments.  Now those exercises you refered to, don't forget our friends from the Civil Air Patrol and US Army who also provided support (when they weren't lost at Shadow Lake).  Good times indeed, too bad most cadet units can't get the support to pull those exercises off anymore.  But at least Gary isn't getting stuck in deep water in February anymore either.  I still get a chill looking at those pictures.  Who'd have thought 25 cadets could haul a 3/4 ton out of ice and water in under 15 minutes.  Good times, all around.

Here's the updated Long Service medal pic with the mini and the ribbon,

enjoy

air_cadet_long_service.jpg

whats your take on the ACLS medal. Personaly I don't really like medals in the first place but then thats just my squadron on things like white belts and lanyards. Although some argue its what needed to make cadets feel they have achived something.

hey i think there a great idea, it give you a better feeling of belonging and esprit de corps, and shows that you actually achieved something. does anyone have any other takes on that?  :salute: :cdn:

My rank and position is enough achivement for me. And my wings, and my level 5 complete badge, and........

Thats my main arguement, when you are in long enough to recive this medal, you should have plently of things to be proud of. It not necessary. And the whole fact that my unit requires 20+ in order to make sure all that are eligable recieve one. Too common as well in my mind. That extra year that the Army Cadet LSM used to have would have made all the difference. Then I could understand, but 4 years is just too short.

I guess its for the newbies. They'll see all the medals, ask "I want one. How do i get one?" and when they are told all they have to do is stay 4 years, then w00t, promoting retention is complete.

True, as long as they are reminded again so they don't quit as soon as they forget about it.......

I don't think Cadets should get medals for being in for 7 years (that goes for other Cadet Service medals) I don't believe the driving force to stay in cadets for 7 years should be to get a medal. I think a plaque or a Certificate would be a better choice.
Just my 2 cents

Those are already given out.  I like the service medal just because i don't think enough medals exist for Air Cadets.  I would make the criteria to be level training complete though instead of 4 years in.

regards,

PV

Back