• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

System Upgrade: Please Report Problems

There are still some issues with the site, related to the upgrade. The web service crashes and hangs on a pretty regular basis. It's set to automatically restart but still causes a couple minutes of downtime at each crash.

I may have to rebuild the server from scratch at some point.  :-\

Had a very nasty glitch (using Opera 56.0.3051.104) where edits to a post caused a new post versus the edit to take hold on the original. I have used Opera often in the past however it could be part to blame.  The offending duplicates were already nuked by the mods (thank you).

https://army.ca/forums/index.php?reportsent;topic=129227/post-1554488#msg1554488

It might be just the DWAN being difficult but I keep on getting this message when trying to access the site:

The SSL handshake could not be performed.

Le 'handshake' SSL n'a pas pu être effectué.
Host:/Hôte www.army.ca
Reason:/Raison: error:1409442E:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert protocol version:SSL error at server handshake:state 25:Application response 500 handshakefailed

OK folks, did a quick server rebuild, it may help with the issues we are seeing. If not, I will have to actually scrap the current server and build a new  one from scratch. That'll take some time, and there isn't much of that in my schedule these days, so please bear with me!

Thanks
Mike

I’ve had a lot of on-and-off difficulty getting the site to load earlier today, FWIW. Though that might have been the server work you were doing?

Yes and no. The server has been crashing almost hourly in recent days, so it was more likely that. No crashes since the rebuild, which is promising.

Stats for November... worst we have had in a long time:

CHECK NAME UPTIME DOWNTIME OUTAGES RESPONSE TIME
Army.ca Alive 92.91% 51h 05m 22s 554 680 ms

So far the "light" rebuild of yesterday seems to have addressed the stability issues though, so December is shaping up to be much better.

Thanks for your patience as always.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Stats for November... worst we have had in a long time:

CHECK NAME UPTIME DOWNTIME OUTAGES RESPONSE TIME
Army.ca Alive 92.91% 51h 05m 22s 554 680 ms

So far the "light" rebuild of yesterday seems to have addressed the stability issues though, so December is shaping up to be much better.

Thanks for your patience as always.

There's definitely been an improvement, thanks Mike.

Agreed, I was getting crash notifications every hour (or sometimes many per hour) before, now there are none. I have seen a small spike in server load (~20) once since the rebuild, but nothing compared to the 100+ load we were often seeing before. Fingers crossed I haven't broken something else in the process. :)

Cheers
Mike

Two "server under high stress" warnings in five attempts this afternoon.

Chased down a high CPU issue and either fixed it... or didn't. :)

At approx 2100hrs NDT had this error might have been related to your tinkering:

Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Well folks, yesterday I activated a new security feature, which caused some problems. For those who care, I enabled TLSv3, which is the latest encryption protocol. It's the "s" in https. Currently, just about everywhere uses TLSv2, but I enabled v3 in addition. The problems stemmed from a few issues, but basically 2 big causes. If you use an old browser it won't support TLSv3. I strongly advise you update! :D Also, TLSv3 cannot be decrypted by proxies like TLSv2 can be, so most work sites (including DND) block it because they can't see what you're doing.

I've turned it off for now, but I will work to find a way, as it provides increased security capabilities.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Bobbitt said:
Well folks, yesterday I activated a new security feature, which caused some problems. For those who care, I enabled TLSv3, which is the latest encryption protocol. It's the "s" in https. Currently, just about everywhere uses TLSv2, but I enabled v3 in addition. The problems stemmed from a few issues, but basically 2 big causes. If you use an old browser it won't support TLSv3. I strongly advise you update! :D Also, TLSv3 cannot be decrypted by proxies like TLSv2 can be, so most work sites (including DND) block it because they can't see what you're doing.

I've turned it off for now, but I will work to find a way, as it provides increased security capabilities.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device. I continued to check approx once or twice an hour from both my phone and work computer throughout the day with no luck. I noticed I could access it again at around 18-1830.

Your information explains work access difficulties (the DWAN gets angry at internet activity very easily ;) ), but I’m surprised my mobile device was affected. I haven’t done the most recent iOS update, but otherwise I wouldn’t consider anything out of date. Hopefully you’re able to work around things, as I don’t think more security is a bad thing. (Although it would be lousy not being able to access the site from work. It’s a great lunch-hour and/or slow-day filler for me.)

A big part of the issue was that yesterday, I enabled only TLSv3. This morning I enabled both v2 and v3, so folks should have better luck. :)

BeyondTheNow said:
I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device.
I had the opposite situation;  no access with laptop, but I could get in via the cell phone.

So I guess I have to act on those irritating spams that pop-up saying "Do you want to switch to Chrome?" to update the browser.  ;)

BeyondTheNow said:
... I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device. I continued to check approx once or twice an hour from both my phone and work computer throughout the day with no luck. I noticed I could access it again at around 18-1830.

That parallels my experience: I don't know what time I noticed I couldn't access it, mid-afternoon I think ... but I did try with both my Mac (using both Chrome and Safari) and with my iPhone, again using both Chrome and Safari. I did make sure both browsers were up to date on both devices. Then, at about 1830 Hrs, Bingo!

Mike Bobbitt said:

Cheers
Mike

Site works today via DWAN...yesterday not so much...

I couldn't load the site from my bookmark but could if I Googled it.

Back