• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry they will come. Mine just came the mail the other day... and that was in Alberta and now I have to have it forwarded to my current address in Quebec.  ;D

I am slightly confused as to what is going to happen this summer. I have been accepted to ROTP for a BScNursing. I was told that I would be enrolled July 16 and report Aug 2nd in St Jean. The CFLRS website states that civi U students report Aug 9, while everyone else here says they don't see St Jean till next summer (2010). I was hoping someone could possibly clarify (I know that no one knows for sure) If I will be going to St Jean Aug 2 or 9 and what I am to expect for this summer when and if I do report to St Jean. Will it be the first 2 or 3 weeks of BMOQ or is it just come and learn about the army and paper work?

Thanks  :yellow: :cdn: :yellow:

army RN (in training) said:
I am slightly confused as to what is going to happen this summer. I have been accepted to ROTP for a BScNursing. I was told that I would be enrolled July 16 and report Aug 2nd in St Jean. The CFLRS website states that civi U students report Aug 9, while everyone else here says they don't see St Jean till next summer (2010). I was hoping someone could possibly clarify (I know that no one knows for sure) If I will be going to St Jean Aug 2 or 9 and what I am to expect for this summer when and if I do report to St Jean. Will it be the first 2 or 3 weeks of BMOQ or is it just come and learn about the army and paper work?

First off:  Don't jump the gun and don't speculate.  Don't worry about what you may read on this or any other website.  What you do is wait and READ what is on your Message after you are enrolled.  That will clarify all doubts and questions you have. 

army RN (in training) said:

You should be getting, in the very near future, a copy of a msg that describes where you're going, where to report etc. Don't go by what people post here re: dates and such, instead make your plans by what the official website says (i.e. if it says civvie-u students are reporting this summer on Aug 9th then be prepared for that) and then sit tight and wait for your msg. Then you'll get the definitive word on where you're going and when.

Don't stress, if you still have questions like the one you just asked that you can't wait to have answered address them to the recruiting centre and not here.

CFRC called me just now:

They offered me RMC if I wanted to switch from my CivvieU (I guess since I had RMC 1st originally). So I am guessing someone switched from RMC to a CivvieU. Turned it down with a thank-you though. Since I've started setting up plans for Halifax where my University is.

So if someone hasn't gotten in, there may be a slight chance still :)

Silly question but is any one still waiting for the paper work that was suppose to come sometime in May?
Not being impatient just wondering, since from what I have been told the military can be slow with paper work at times.
And my grad counselor keeps on hounding me for evidence of my post high-school plans, because apparently they need to send some type of form to the Ministry of Education some time soon. 

Charron said:
I'm currently 16 years old, in the cadets and I love it. Later on, I want to become a video game programmer but I don't know if going to concordia university or RMC would be better for me. Concordia has a good computer science course and RMC has computer science too but I really want to experience RMC and concordia would probably be a better choice for my career path. I can't decide where I should go. I'd like to know which university you would go to if you were in my position.

Computer/Computing Science is not Game Programming.  I am studying CS at SFU through Civvy U ROTP.  If you want to do game programming think of going to a technical college.  What you will learn in CS is applications of math. 

Also there is no "game programming" in the CF but I personally, I would like to work on the Canadian Manoeuvre Training Centre at CFB Wainwright.

CEEBEE501 said:
Silly question but is any one still waiting for the paper work that was suppose to come sometime in May?
Not being impatient just wondering, since from what I have been told the military can be slow with paper work at times.
And my grad counselor keeps on hounding me for evidence of my post high-school plans, because apparently they need to send some type of form to the Ministry of Education some time soon.

I received mine on the 9th I believe. Are you still waiting?

Well this is actually puzzling me right now, because I got something on the 7th
Is the paper work they ment that Welcome to ROTP, with all the stuff for news paper, school award.

I would assume there is more formal paper work with dates(Swearing in, the thing in St-jean for 2 weeks if it is happening) on it and such coming too?

Hey All,

As a 4th year ROTP civi U student who was rejected from RMC (Math grades stank) I'd like to add my 2 cents.  Both are great in their own ways, but I can really only speak for civi U.

Going to a civilian university has allowed me to experience the life of a university student. I pay rent, groceries, phone, cable, gas, hydro, etc and I am responsible for ensuring my financial life is in order (which isn't always easy to do on ocdt pay). Going to a civilian university has allowed me to start growing up! Sort of.

The academic life at a civi U is also under your direct control. I take the courses I want, as long as I take the required courses for my degree program, the military gives me full control. The professors also give you full control of your studies. Go to class or don't go to class. They don't care who you are or what you want to do, they will fail you if you don't complete their course requirements.

You'll also be responsible for your own physical fitness! University gym memberships run pretty cheap, and you can claim it...or so I have just been informed. There are also intramural sports and fitness classes that are relatively inexpensive.

In sum, at RMC, you have a schedule which you must follow. In civi U, you are responsible for making that schedule and following it. It's all up to you in the end, which ever route you choose, the destination is the same.

Hey Radius, I'll see you at the IAP this summer hopefully.
I, like Allie'd forces, was accepted as a civvi U student, but unlike him my math grades (or any grades for that matter) didn't stink. But I was still not accepted to the actual campus at Kingston, and I really want to go, for the reasons opposite that of Allie'd forces. Reasons like no financial worries, kept busy with a full schedule, Morning PT and inspections. I also know that there are others who would like to go to a civvi U for the very pertinent reasons again Allie'd forces explained, and not to Kingston.

My point being, for those of you deciding on where to go, is to commit to it, because if you find yourself not enjoying it, remember that there are others who direly want to be in your position.
Please don't take this wrongly, I am very honoured to get accepted at all because the competition was really stiff this year.
Just my 2 cents to those who I may work with in the future, looking forward to it.

I hope you didn't take my post as an indication that I did not desperately want to go to RMC, Whiskers_MLD. Like you, the prospect of a 24/7 military life excited me. However, I was rejected, it sucked, but I took what they offered me and I'm very happy I did.

The experiences are different, yes, but the end goal is the same; becoming an officer in the CF.

If you're lucky enough to choose between the two options, it all depends on what best suits you. Like constant direction? RMC is the way to go. Are you motivated enough to follow your own direction? Civi U is for you!
Of course, both offer elements of both.
And at RMC you never have to deal with peace protestors trying to take your poppy on Remembrance day either!

Just as a side note: you have until the first day of your 2nd year in school to release from the CF without any financial obligation.

Whiskers_MLD, when are you on IAP? (Send PM)

I wonder what is the next step of a processing after confirming by telephone to go to ROTP at RMCC or when will be enrollment ceremony at local CFRC before going there.

My son graduated high school at this month a few days ago  and then we do not have any information from the local about it further "what the next is for preparing to leave home to RMCC coming on mid of August".  We would much appreciate it if anyone have an information to tell or shed a light .

Thanks said:
I wonder what is the next step of a processing after confirming by telephone to go to ROTP at RMCC or when will be enrollment ceremony at local CFRC before going there.

You should be contacted shortly on what is happening next. If you have questions, call your CFRC. If your wondering what is happening next, your son will likely have a pre-enrollment briefing followed soon after by the enrollment ceremony itself. Then off to RMC in August.

Hey all, have not been on forums lately due to moving and being busy.

Finished my enrollment stuff today, signed all the final papers and got my rank and other information and got put on LWOP until Aug 03 :) My enrollment ceremony (Halifax CFRC) is in 10 days.. wee :)

Yeah, about the same here in Ottawa. LWOP varies but mine is until Aug 4th. Paperwork was done yesterday and enrollment is this Friday.

Congrats.  :cdn:

Hmm I get to fill out my paper work on the day of my enrollment, must be a distance thing (apprx 150 km from the CFRC with my file)

Wiskers_MLD said:
for the reasons opposite that of Allie'd forces. Reasons like no financial worries, kept busy with a full schedule, Morning PT and inspections.

Just my own observation but I think it is for the best that you ended up going to Civilian University.

You sound like you need maturing if you require the "babysitting" services of the CF.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to age like a good cheddar before you will ever be competent in leading men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back