• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
b_raakesh said:
Hey, I got offered ROTP Naval Engineering, But I couldn't accept, I applied fir Air Eng, Aviation has always been a passion, I cant go back on it, I know other people would love to been have offered ROTP I think its more important that you are happy with your job so that you become an effective member of the CF.

You do realize that you are not locked into Naval Engineering as your final occupation.  After your first year of ROTP, I believe, they have a closer look at what occupation you may go into.  Perhaps you should have researched that possibility, as I believe it has been stated several times on this site. 

It is, however, very kind of you to offer up a position for someone who didn't make the original cut.

Good Luck in your endeavors.

George Wallace said:
You do realize that you are not locked into Naval Engineering as your final occupation.  After your first year of ROTP, I believe, they have a closer look at what occupation you may go into.  Perhaps you should have researched that possibility, as I believe it has been stated several times on this site. 

It is, however, very kind of you to offer up a position for someone who didn't make the original cut.

Good Luck in your endeavors.

Not to disagree, but it is also important to note that you are not guaranteed to be able to switch and considering the amount of air engineers who got sea engineering and the fact that the Navy is dying for lack of engineers i would hazard to guess that not all of you will be able to switch.

P.S. You may want to look into marine engineering, it may not be as glamorous as on the air side but I can tell from first hand experience that you will get to involve youself with first-class people.  And the time you spend at sea is minimal compared to other Navy trades if you are worried about that.

Its a competitive process. Everyone reapplies for a trade, no matter the grouping they were accepted for. Then you compete for the spots through your file and interview process. Those who have been accepted for what they want may get the shaft in the end. Since the process for this year isn't done yet, no one really knows how it will turn out. It is easier to switch trades during your first year of ROTP but you are also not guaranteed anything. Also, those who are at RMC do come around to other jobs after their eyes are opened. I know of a couple who were accepted for marine engineering instead of air engineering, but are really starting to like the sound of the trade.

I have a Question: Is it true that most of the RMC candidates were selected during the first review board? It seems as though a lot of people who were selected during the second board were given acceptance offers, but did not make RMC. Is there anyone out there who got their file sent in a little late, yet still received an acceptance offer into RMC?

Called the CFRC today and he said that I was lloking at going to RMC in September if I don't go on Basic Training.  Anyone else been told this?  I thought the date as around August 12.

Nope, I didn't hear anything like that. I was told mid-August, approx. the 12th.

yea i researched it, i took a while to decide, and because the navy is in need of engineers, they said it is highly unlikely they will let me switch.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would give my input on the subject. I also have accepted my offer to RMC, for Bachelor of Engineering. CELE (Computer and Electronics Engineer) is the job I was accepted for. I am from NS and I have not received my letter yet, but I have accepted my "official offer" stating that I was accepted to RMC for 4 years subsidized. All I know to date is that everyone will be flown to RMC before August 12-13th for the two week intro camp. Then FYOP starts in September. I also know that I have enrollment ceremony and administration in the beginning of July.

Just a couple of points based on some comments recently:

a. your offer this year is for an occupational grouping, not a specific branch.  Next year you will have the opportunity to get more information on all the occupations (and for us to get to know you a bit better as well) and then update your choices and you will have the opportunity to indicate options outside your grouping if you wish.  After your first academic year is complete, you will compete for occupations according to your updated choices based on updated military assessments and academic results.  You will be competed in your choices; if you are unsuccessful for them, you will be assigned within your grouping, or possibly outside it if you have fared particularly poorly.  Then you will have to decide whether to accept and carry on in your assigned occupation or leave the CF before the first day of your second year of classes in order to avoid repayment of your first year of subsidisation (pay and benefits).

b. in the second selection board, both those who had been selected ROTP but not originally offered ROTP/RMC or ROTP/RMCSJ plus those that were only in the second round selected for ROTP, were considered by the Colleges.  There were a number of candidates that only appeared in the second round that were selected by a military college.

For those of you who are still weighing your options on the offer you have received, don't forget that the deadline for response to the CFRC comes up next week!

Have a good weekend

Has anyone received a letter of confirmation from RMC that live in Nova Scotia?

Just a reminder, for any folks who have been accepted to RMC for Fall 2009, there is a Facebook group that would be useful for networking. Search under "Royal Military College Class of 2013" and request acceptance. The group has a fair size and is continuing to grow, and we would be happy to have you join.

I'm currently 16 years old, in the cadets and I love it. Later on, I want to become a video game programmer but I don't know if going to concordia university or RMC would be better for me. Concordia has a good computer science course and RMC has computer science too but I really want to experience RMC and concordia would probably be a better choice for my career path. I can't decide where I should go. I'd like to know which university you would go to if you were in my position.

Ultimately the decision is up to you, but personally I wouldn't pass up RMC.
Not only is it a completely a unique experience, but it is aligned with preparing your
for your future in the military. I've been excepted there and I am going this fall; however, you should get the opinion of others who have attended RMC and can give you a better idea of life there. Many think
highly of it, but there are also those who strongly disliked it. Look at the pros and cons carefully.
There are a number of threads on this site that already have peoples input on their experience there;
Search them and read..

Charron said:
I'm currently 16 years old, in the cadets and I love it. Later on, I want to become a video game programmer but I don't know if going to concordia university or RMC would be better for me. Concordia has a good computer science course and RMC has computer science too but I really want to experience RMC and concordia would probably be a better choice for my career path. I can't decide where I should go. I'd like to know which university you would go to if you were in my position.

Like Radius said, there are pros and cons to each.

Bigger question is, if you want to be a video game programmer, you should pursue a civilian career.  There are no games in the military.  Unless of course you be a civilian programmer for the VBS with Calian or whomever runs that.

Frankly put, I will close with this (likely to stir up some controversy)... I went to civy u over RMC (turned down RMC twice).  I have a plethora of friends and colleagues that went to RMC and their experiences of university life and all that goes with it were much different than mine.  Not saying in a better or worse way.  Just different.  Don't forget, at RMC, you follow a schedule and have supervisors.  An advantage to this is your studies will be better this way ;D

You have several options actually.

1) ROTP (full time regular force): this is for aspiring CF officers. Almost everything's paid for but you will need to serve for a certain amount of years in the force before you can go back to civilian life and become a programmer.

2) RETP (part time reserve force): Only 15 students each year under this plan. You need to pay for tuition and must be part of reserve.

3) Apply for a civilian university and join the reserve.

In my opinion I think going civi U would be the best out of all options if you want to become a video game programmer. If you take option 1, you'd have to postpone your plan until after your term is over. Option 2 would be nice to just experience RMC with no obligations*, but only a few lucky candidates can get in each year. With option 3, you get to do your dream job and experience military life on a part time basis.

My major is computer science as well. If it's a good CS program, you'll learn more than just programming...like discrete math, statistic, networks, algorithm theory, memory management, software engineering, etc. You may find that not everything you learn in university will give you the experience needed to find a job, so co-op would be a good choice as well. Or just get a diploma at a good college, it's cheaper and allows you to focus your learning.

*obligations: I don't mean it in a bad way, just that serving full time will conflict with your dream job. Who knows, maybe going ROTP may convince you to stay in the force!

Radius said:
...but it is aligned with preparing your
for your future in the military.

No, not necessarilly.

To the OP, each has its advantages and disadvantages. If you're more the self-directed type (like me), I advise civvie-u. If you like being directed, I advise RMC.

As the above posters have mentioned, there are other ways to experience the military. Another thing I should have added and nobody has yet is that you can leave RMC anytime during your first year duty free. I thought you should be aware of that since it can be very difficult to get into RMC so if you did manage to get in, you may want to just try it and see if you like it. One year isn't all that long and you'll know if it is for you or not for sure. The experience can't hurt.

Mattrrk said:
Has anyone received a letter of confirmation from RMC that live in Nova Scotia?

I have not received an ROTP acceptance letter and I am in Nova Scotia.

Alright, well at least I am not the only one. But you have accepted your offer? Because I accepted mine over the phone with a cpl at the CFRC. I also called him asking when letter would come and he said end of may even though people in ontario and NFLD already have theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back