• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General CFRC Questions – Regular Forces

BeyondTheNow said:
Female here. Bottom line is your dreams/aspirations/goals are every bit as important as his. While stable home life is important, there are those (men and women) who want more out of life than being stuck at home and/or going to work every day in a job that does nothing else except pay the bills.

If you feel passionate about this career path and want to give it a try, then I think it’s fair of your SO to support your endeavours. Will it involve change and adapting on both of your parts? Absolutely. But if he can’t offer support and encouragement, just as I’m assuming you’ve offered him, then that’s an issue.
Thank you.  This was so nice to get an answer from a female perspective.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.  And you’re right, I have slways supported all of his endeavours, so it doesn’t feel like too much to ask for him to support mine.

BeyondTheNow said:
Female here. Bottom line is your dreams/aspirations/goals are every bit as important as his. While stable home life is important, there are those (men and women) who want more out of life than being stuck at home and/or going to work every day in a job that does nothing else except pay the bills.

If you feel passionate about this career path and want to give it a try, then I think it’s fair of your SO to support your endeavours. Will it involve change and adapting on both of your parts? Absolutely. But if he can’t offer support and encouragement, just as I’m assuming you’ve offered him, then that’s an issue.

^This. I attempted to word a response similar to this but failed, lol. BeyondTheNow put it perfectly.

Brihard said:
It sounds like you're being true to yourself and to something you have wanted and worked for for a long time. This isn't some sudden whim. A marriage needs to be a partnership of equals to truly succeed and flourish, and that means room for both people to move forward in life. I have no idea what you do right now, but I gather that it's not what ou want and that trying this option is.

'Personality' just isn't that malleable, and quite frankly that sounds like an unlikely thing for a guy to be primarily concerned about. It sounds like that was the palatable/acceptable answer to 'what are you worried about?' I could be completely wrong of course. I can easily imagine most guys not wanting their wife working in an infantry battalion due to various fears or insecurities, grounded or not.

It's OK to look after your own interests and to fight for what matters to you.
Thank you so much.  That last part is exactly how I feel right now.  I appreciate the sound advice.

Be honest, joining the CAF is a life changing event regardless of trade. Just prepare your husband for the changes with a list of commonly used acronyms and phrases (heavy on the acronyms) that'll help him understand what the heck you're talking about all the time. Eventually he'll start using terms like "tracking" and fit right in.

PuckChaser said:
Be honest, joining the CAF is a life changing event regardless of trade. Just prepare your husband for the changes with a list of commonly used acronyms and phrases (heavy on the acronyms) that'll help him understand what the heck you're talking about all the time. Eventually he'll start using terms like "tracking" and fit right in.

The OP said that her husband is currently serving, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

OP:  Aside from what others have said, my take on this (for what it's worth) isn't so much that he's concerned about you joining the Infantry, more that he's concerned about you changing (or starting) a career in the CAF.  Best to sit down with him and hash out his (and your) concerns before you actually start your career.

Dimsum said:
Best to sit down with him and hash out his (and your) concerns before you actually start your career.

This seems important.

He probably knows you better than strangers on the internet do, and may have a better idea of what you're getting into than the image a recruiter may have assembled for you.

This may not be a gender issue at all, maybe he just has concerns about you as an individual.

Maybe you'll do well, maybe you won't.

Best bet, sit down, talk about it, and agree to keep an open mind about each others oppinions.

Dimsum said:
Best to sit down with him and hash out his (and your) concerns before you actually start your career.

Not a Sig Op said:
Best bet, sit down, talk about it, and agree to keep an open mind about each others oppinions.

Ki92 said:
He is supportive but has been bringing up a lot of concerns this week. 

The OP "applied 2 years ago". "Enrolment Feb.21st".

Hopefully, they will resolve those concerns in the next nine days.

Ki92 said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you to all of our brave veterans and those who are still serving.  I am a 25 year old woman and I picked infantry as my trade.  The trade has appealed to me since I was 17 and I am very grateful to be able to serve.  I just got the call last week and start Basic Training in a month.  I have always wanted to serve our country and I am quite excited.  However, my husband, who is currently serving as well, is concerned about my trade choice and I am worried that it will interfere with our marriage.  He is supportive but has been bringing up a lot of concerns this week.  I would love to hear some input or advice on this from anyone.  Thank you.

-Ki

Two of the best SNCOs in my (infantry) unit in the past 10 years are women. One's the top shot in the Commonwealth. The other went on to commission in Air Force (where she is kicking *** as a cross fit Nazi ;) ). Both are married to non-Infanteers. As far as I can tell, their biggest struggle is trying to find postings to the same locations.

20 years ago, I wouldn't counsel any women to join the Infantry. Now? As long as you pass the usual range of courses, it's as even a playing field as it has ever been.

And you can't tell them apart from the other troops with all that gear and cam cream on either ;)

KI92,

The CAF has a lot of resources that you and your husband may find helpful.  You may want to stop by a MFRC, or have a conversation with a padre or a military social worker.  All of the above will be skilled in helping you and your husband process the issues.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info guys... I’m about so send my application in a few weeks ( just have to take care of a few things first which isn’t hard just takes time) I want to sign up as a combat engineer as I was told my 15 yrs carpentry experience would really help me.. I’m 35 I want to do this 5 hrs ago but as I was taking to a recruiter I ended up getting hurt at work ( my lower back.. muscle tear dr thinks ( testing and mri wasn’t showing anything concrete.. but at the time I couldn’t put weight on my legs.. all better now dr said I’m cleared to do what ever I want) any way I was asking some questions and got an email from someone here saying that even if I don’t have a degree or a B.A they would more then likely ask me to do officer training due to age , life and work experience.. I was running my own crew at 25 ... guys in there 40s under me and it was great we made a lot of money.. time for a change.. any truth to what I was told about officer training? It would be a bouns but not a deal breaker by any means.. ive been training for a month now wanna give myself one more month before I send application to make sure I’m ready to be sent out...

For reference to the discussion, see also,

smallzeroman445 said:
New here.. I’m 35 and looking for a new challange.. plan on sending in an application in the next few week.. I’ve been a carpenter all my life .. run my own sites and looking after my crew and teaching.. I don’t have any papers to prove the trade.. just learned on site as a teenager and in my 20s and started teaching at 25.. was wondering if this would help me get in.. help make sure I get an offer.. is like to join as an engineer as my building experience would help a lot.. I’m just worried I may be to old to start.. I wanted to do this 5 yrs ago.. but had an accident .. now everything is falling into place and wanted to ask some advice from memeber who may have gone threw..i talked to a recruiter.. but was told just to fill out and hope
For the best.. I don’t wanna waste anyone time so I came here

if anyone see this
Thx

smallzeroman445 said:
I’m just worried I may be to old to start.

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/207.0
14 pages.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date official information.

I'm 28 and considering applying to the RegF but I'm concerned that my employment and education history will hold me back. To put it simply, I've had a difficult time finding my calling in life, while also having to deal with personal/family issues.

During the last 5 years, I've attended two different colleges for two different programs and only completed one of them to which I received a one year certificate. My employment history in this time has been very spotty; I left on bad terms from one job I held for 9 months in 2013, and a couple other jobs that I only maintained for 1-4 months each. I understand this paints a pretty awful picture.

After years of contemplating the idea of applying to the CAF, I'm now at a point in my life where I feel it may be the best option for me. Knowing I cannot change my lackluster past, what is the best course of action for me going forward if I want to join the CAF?

blessing said:
I'm 28 and considering applying to the RegF but I'm concerned that my employment and education history will hold me back. To put it simply, I've had a difficult time finding my calling in life, while also having to deal with personal/family issues.

During the last 5 years, I've attended two different colleges for two different programs and only completed one of them to which I received a one year certificate. My employment history in this time has been very spotty; I left on bad terms from one job I held for 9 months in 2013, and a couple other jobs that I only maintained for 1-4 months each. I understand this paints a pretty awful picture.

After years of contemplating the idea of applying to the CAF, I'm now at a point in my life where I feel it may be the best option for me. Knowing I cannot change my lackluster past, what is the best course of action for me going forward if I want to join the CAF?

Be honest in your interview with your MCC; you control the picture that you are painting so make sure to explain yourself.  Nothing more than that that you really can do in regards to your past.

Wondering how hard it is to get in the infantry? Are they always looking for more soldiers? On the website for recruiting it says the job is available so I’d assume you can get in.

Not in the army said:
Wondering how hard it is to get in the infantry? Are they always looking for more soldiers? On the website for recruiting it says the job is available so I’d assume you can get in.
Short Answer: It's only as hard or easy as you make it.
Long Answer: The recruiting process is very detailed, there are several steps to enrolment, each step can cause you a hurdle (background check, medical, aptitude test, etc).  Infantry is one of the occupations that the CAF tends to recruit year round; it doesn't mean it's easier or harder to get in.  It happens to be one of the biggest occupations in the CAF.

Hey, so when I was in high school and I had looked at the forces application it was like if you were applying to a specific job. Now when I look at the process it seems to me that they're hiring people and then placing people based on their competencies, so when you applying to the forces you're not really applying to position you're applying generally and then they place you?
And I just wanted to confirm that if you join the forces it's not only on a contract a contract basis (meaning that you may not have a job in 2 years).

I'm currently a network analyst for a telecommunications company and have been for 5 years and I do not feel like my life has meaning right now and I want to change jobs but as much as I want my life to have meaning it also has to have stability.

What's the average lifespan of a career in the forces?

So I am thinking of joining and I am currently employed within PSSA.

From my understanding, when I transfer in, it would be considered career development. Does that mean I would be able to receive my current salary during BMQ and training?

I've asked my recruitment centre but they don't know...

Any insight would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

Back