• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Duotone81

Hi Koach,

I have question that I hope you can answer. How exactly does the UTP-NCM plan work? Is the number of slots available through this plan determined by openings in the Officer Corps that weren't filled by DEO and ROTP or are ROTP and UTP-NCM both looked at equally for admission to RMC? Would you just need to be trade qualified, have the necessary academic background and leadership potential to apply for the program or are their any other requirements needed for consideration?

Thanks for your time.

That‘s exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot sir.

I am not the best person to answer this question but the following link may answer your second question:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/009-13_e.asp

Both ROTP and UTPNCM are very competitive and I think that applicants to either plan would be looked at equally. I would recommend that you contact your closest Red and White coordinator under ‘contact us‘ on the following link for more information:

http://www.rmcclub.ca/www/rawp/rawp_e.html

Thanks for the Red and White contact info Koach.

I‘ll make use of that resource Monday morning and post any info not already mentioned in CFAO 9-13.

I've spent a great deal of time and energy researching RMC and after applying and getting rejected I thought that ship had sailed. However I was reading these forums and saw someone mention something about ROTP through a civilian university.

I was wondering if anyone had any information or could point me towards some information regarding such a topic.

Pte. Cote
Seaforth Highlanders

I don't know about ROTP but a friend of mine (more than one really) has gone UTPNCM  (University Training Plan Non Commissioned Member)  It is avail in the regs I don't know about the reserves.  Maybe something to look into.
Does you unit have a PSO?  If so check with them.  They should have all the answers.
Good luck.

Cote, just because you got turned down from RMC once doesn't mean you will never get in. Keep at it. Besides, I believe the way it works is you apply to the ROTP program and if you have been selected to a civilian university, they may place you there or send you to RMC. At any rate, it's worth another shot to apply again.

I'm doing ROTP right now at a civilian university because I'm a nurse and they don't have that at RMC...anyway I know you can do other trades and still go to civvy u. Basically I just filled out the ROTP forms from the recruiter's office(i dont know if they are different than ones for RMC) and had to be in the process of applying to a university to start the interviews and all that. You need the actual acceptance sheets from the university to be sworn in though. Hope this helps you a bit.

Cheers

I was a reservist with the airfield engineering flight in Abbotsford until this summer, when I went ROTP to the University of Victoria. Everyone seems to think that it's harder to get into civvie U, but while there are several hundred students at RMC, my subsidized education manager, who deals with everything west of Onterrible, deals with at least a few hundred students herself. That's just the four western provinces. So don't despair, apply again, and keep in mind that in the reserves you are eligible for reimbursement of university tuition up to a certain amount once you've served a few years. There are lots of options, you should be able to get more info through your CC though, especially concerning the local info. One negative point though is that your pay drops. As Reg F, you have right to pay, and they can't drop you. As a reservist, there is no UTPNCM and you'll go down to OCdt pay for the duration of school. On the other hand, CFHA can't charge you more than 25% of your gross so I pay less for my PMQ than I would pay for res at university. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Chimo!

As a civvie U student, I was under the impression that as long as I took the courses that were required for my degree, I would be left alone, unfortunately, it seems, I was wrong. I have been told that I am allowed to take the MINIMUM courses required to get my degree, and anything else after that I am required to pay for.

A question to the RMC students out there: If you are in a specific degree program, say, Chemistry, and you want to take an extra course in Psychology, would you have to pay for it out of your own pocket? Or if you were in Business Administration, and you wanted to take a course in Political Science?

Also, to any ROTPs or UTs in civvie U, have you run into this problem?

I remember hearing that when I was in school.  I dropped a required course and was just going to take in the next semester.  The my SEM got all piddled at me when she found out and said that I would have to pay for the course on my own.  This didn't make sence to me since school costs the same whether you take 4 or 5 courses a semester.  I didn't end up paying for it there really was no way to do so.  Also most degrees give you the flexibility to take courses that aren't degree specific.  e.g.  In a science program the may say you need 6 credit hours in humanities...

My advice, take what you want ensuring that you are progressing steadily through your program and make sure you pass all your courses especially the required courses. 

BTW I was Civi U.

Feral said:
As a civvie U student, I was under the impression that as long as I took the courses that were required for my degree, I would be left alone, unfortunately, it seems, I was wrong. I have been told that I am allowed to take the MINIMUM courses required to get my degree, and anything else after that I am required to pay for.

A question to the RMC students out there: If you are in a specific degree program, say, Chemistry, and you want to take an extra course in Psychology, would you have to pay for it out of your own pocket? Or if you were in Business Administration, and you wanted to take a course in Political Science?

Also, to any ROTPs or UTs in civvie U, have you run into this problem?

My days at Military College are long away, but when I went through, there was very little flexibility.  A specific stream (Admin, for example) would force you to take a core set of classes with, in the higher years, one optional per semester, which usually came down to choosing between two course offerings, such as say Economic History or Advanced Accouting.  Your schedule was filled up with the mandatories such that you didn't have time to take an additional course - at least in my stream.  But if there was time and some bright spark wanted to take an additional course, he/she would not have had to pay out of pocket.  When you're at RMC, the tuition is all inclusive, repayable via 4 years of obligatory service after graduation.

Thanks for the info so far.. It pisses me off though that I might have to pay for a course on my own, while I was told (when recruited) that I could take whatever I wanted as long as I ended up with my specified degree at the end of it all. Granted, I don't have a lot of time to take extra courses, but if I want to take a special interest course, then it should be my business. Anyone who is currently in RMC or civvie U have an opinion?

Damn I think you should get a hold of the Ombudsmans office ASAP.  You are being prevented from fulfilling your educational dreams and who gives a crap who is paying for it and that you are also getting a salary to do nothing but go to school for eight months a year.  My God the injustice of it all.

Well gee, thanks a lot! I'm glad to see that there are still individuals out there who are willing to be helpful! It's so refreshing to hear from people who have good advice to give, and are willing to hand it out FREE OF CHARGE! Maybe you should get a job consulting, bring in some extra bucks for yourself on the weekend!  :salute:

Back to the topic at hand, why is it a big deal if I want to take an extra course to better myself? The CF is full of programs for it, and since I'm in school already, what is the harm? RMC students take extra courses like psychology and Canadian history because it produces more well-rounded officers, then what is the problem with someone at at civilian university doing the same with one of their electives?

As a recent RMC grad I have some insight into the subject.  First of all at RMC if you have the time and the desire you can take additional courses which are not strictly required for your degree at no cost.  Before you cry foul remember that the profs at RMC are paid to teach a certain set of courses, as far as I know the number of students doesn't factor into it.  As such, it costs the taxpayer nothing if an RMC student chooses to take an extra course.  Clearly this isn't the case at civvie U.  Maybe you think thats unfair.  On the other hand I doubt you have inspections or parades or morning PT.

It has nothing to do with being unfair. The way I see it, at RMC you have a heavy courseload because you have extra required courses, correct? I am taking a physics degree, and in my first semester of my second year, I only have 4 courses out of a max of 6. I just want to be able to fill those elective spots up with other courses. For instance, I am taking one third year physics course this semester so that brings my courseload up to 5 (I have the prerequisites for the course in question). That still leaves me one course. I'd love to fill it with other physics courses from the 3/4th year electives, but I don't have the prerequisites. Instead, I'd just like to be able to take a history course or something along those lines (no, not basket weaving).

The fact remains that for you to take an additional course incurs an additional cost to the government while at RMC it does not.  Essentially you are expecting the government to fund your personal interest in history etc. which they are somewhat unsurprisingly reluctant to do.  It is true that at RMC our schedules do include certain courses which would not me included in a civvie U program, ie. engineers taking history/psych courses, this is a part of the RMC curriculum and not that of your faculty and is therefore required at RMC and not civvie U, it shouldn't be surprising that the two institutions have different QS.

I guess you have no idea how much money is wasted in other parts of the military, different courses just being one of the ways. How else can you explain my participation in a First Aid course twice in a year, even though I wasn't expired yet, just because there were spots available? That is a waste of money, I will agree, but my argument is that if I have the spot, then use it. If I have 4 courses, and I talk to someone from RMC, I'll hear the old "At RMC we have a really heavy courseload, it's so hard with the inspections and extra PT blah blah blah". I picked civvie U because I want a good education, and I want to be able to concentrate on studying and my grades, not on how my uniform looks in next week's inspection. I can get a better education by getting a more well-rounded education. Isn't that why we do OPMEs? Maybe I am "personally interested" in history, or maybe it's "my opinion" that a little psychology helps in the leadership department, but as long as I am taking a course that benefits the CF, what is the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back