• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

I just really don't want to miss any sort of deadline or anything, since I wasn't accepted last year because I was out of town for a period of time and my stuff wasn't completed on time. This time around, I want everything finished promptly! I already have everything done, I just need to give them my updated marks transcript and do a rewrite of the CFAT.

Hey guys, am I right in assuming we would be enrolled under the new ROTP system where we would get placed into land ops, air ops, sea ops etc.. as opposed to being designated a trade? That's what I remember hearing during my interview, but I just wanted to make sure as my interview was back in October and my memory is a little bit foggy.

That's the first I've heard of this. My interview was in October as well and I wasn't told anything about a new system.

Hmm I could be mistaken, I saw mention of it in the first few pages of this thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/79084.0 , the ROTP 2009-2010 thread. But there are some inconsistencies because my interview was very trade specific. I probably misheard and maybe they changed back to the old system for our year.

Little update: The 7 of us (pudd13 is one of them) at ASC this week all passed! We are all headed to Toronto DRDC for more medical tests thursday and friday. For those who will do ASC soon, relax and enjoy your stay. The food is awesome and the accomodations are great, and so is the ASC staff.

The sim is sensitive, it's nothing like a C152 or a Cherokee.

Don't worry too much, because there IS and emergency button in case you G-LOC while turning final or if you bang your head on the instrument panel after a rough landing...

Yeah, you have to watch out for G-LOC. It creeps up on you when you are in the sim!

Would ASC be something extremely difficult for someone who has never flown any type of plane before? I don't have any sort of Pilot's License. ASC is definitely something I'm really nervous about. I heard they give you a booklet to study from to prepare yourself for ASC. In CFB Trenton, will they test you on what's purely in the booklet? Or will they go beyond the booklet as well?

It tests your learning curve, not your skill at flying. It wont matter if you have flying experience or not as flying the sim is very different than flying a 172 or whatever. Everything you need to know is in that blue booklet.

DexOlesa said:
It tests your learning curve, not your skill at flying. It wont matter if you have flying experience or not as flying the sim is very different than flying a 172 or whatever. Everything you need to know is in that blue booklet.

Thank you DexOlesa. That's a quite a bit more comforting now.

As DexOlesa stated, prior flying experience will not ensure a pass or fail in ASC. I would say that familiarity with flight controls (what each does and the coordination of them) will assist in your "learning curve" in the simulator. Here are a couple threads that discuss ASC in more detail:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/70257.0

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36026.0

I have about 200 hours of flight time, but I haven't flown much since 2003. I found it useful to invest the money in Microsoft Flight Simulator, yoke, and pedals to practice for an hour or two leading up to ASC. I cranked the sensitivity on the sim and went through a bunch of circuits. I had some disposable income at the time so I didn't mind spending the few hundred dollars. Another alternative is heading to a local flight school and ask to rent their sims and an instructor for an hour or two. Remember, none of this is required! 7 people out of the 15 who were on my ASC course passed. Of those, some had PPL's and a couple had no previous experience. Also, some of the people who failed had a PPL.

Again, read the threads above. Pretty much every question you could think of is answered there.

Bowen said:
Would ASC be something extremely difficult for someone who has never flown any type of plane before? I don't have any sort of Pilot's License. ASC is definitely something I'm really nervous about. I heard they give you a booklet to study from to prepare yourself for ASC. In CFB Trenton, will they test you on what's purely in the booklet? Or will they go beyond the booklet as well?

I had no prior experience whatsoever. I didn't have a license, or simulator experience, or any Microsoft Flight Simulator experience for that matter, and I still passed. However, someone else on my course who flew fighters in Iran didn't. So there's your two extremes, but really the bottom line is prior experience doesn't help an awful lot with CAPSS. To add, I do think prior flying experience helps a huge amount in actually receiving your offer for Pilot though. I can't think of one person in Civi U from this past year's ROTP intake that was accepted for Pilot without at least some experience with aircraft, however correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a flight simulator that I got for christmas, with a joystick. I think I used it twice before CAPSS, and it didn't really do much to help me pass. I also had 20 hours going in, but I would say the only thing out of that 20 hours that helped me pass CAPSS was being able to understand and read the instruments. And you get that info from your CAPSS study guide. Other than that, it is all hand eye co-ordination, and flying accurately, and of course, avoiding G-LOC.

Side note: you will feel a lack of confidence in Trenton. "how will I tell everybody I failed" or "I know that flight was horrible" or "that was a horrible turn." You will say those things all week. Just learn to deal with that lack of confidence, don't let it control you. It is good to feel less than confident, it shows you are being realistic and cautious about your chances, just don't let that lack of confidence control you, and lead to a break-down in the sim.

Do you guys know if we would be enrolled in ROTP in an ops category, with our specific trade being determined later or if we get enrolled with one of our selected trades?

pudd13 said:
and of course, avoiding G-LOC.

;D This is going to stay with us for a long time!

I'll say again: the CAPPS is not an airplane and it does not fly like an airplane. It is a TESTING DEVICE that tests your coordination, your concentration, learning curve and all that. The instruments and controls are identical to an airplane, but the comparison stops there.

BTW, the 7 guys that were at ASC this week all passed the CAPPS and then the medical in Toronto. The previous flying experience ranged from not at all, to just a couple of hours, to 160h. We all passed and yet we were all anxious and underconfident about our performance.

Good luck to all! Enjoy Trenton. It's got awesome staff, food and accomodations. The medical in Toronto is pretty nice too.

trampbike said:
;D This is going to stay with us for a long time!

I'll say again: the CAPPS is not an airplane and it does not fly like an airplane. It is a TESTING DEVICE that tests your coordination, your concentration, learning curve and all that. The instruments and controls are identical to an airplane, but the comparison stops there.

BTW, the 7 guys that were at ASC this week all passed the CAPPS and then the medical in Toronto. The previous flying experience ranged from not at all, to just a couple of hours, to 160h. We all passed and yet we were all anxious and underconfident about our performance.

Good luck to all! Enjoy Trenton. It's got awesome staff, food and accomodations. The medical in Toronto is pretty nice too.

Good times indeed. Some really desperate measures were joked about in that mess hall, but atleast none of us had to resort to them!

One more week until I receive my updated transcripts, so I hope to rewrite my CFAT sometime in February, and hopefully be accepted to a trade soon! Infantry, Armour and Artillery are my choices. In the meantime, I'm taking online IQ tests to practice for the CFAT.

Silentstriker01 said:
Hey guys, am I right in assuming we would be enrolled under the new ROTP system where we would get placed into land ops, air ops, sea ops etc.. as opposed to being designated a trade? That's what I remember hearing during my interview, but I just wanted to make sure as my interview was back in October and my memory is a little bit foggy.

In 2009 theywent to this new system, in 2010 they reverted to the previous system. Unless they flipflopped again you will be applying for a specific trade.  The recruiters will know best though, or should, so be sure to clarify with them.

got a call from CFRC Toronto today, I have been found unsuitable for RMC and they thereby stopped the processing of my file. I will be attending a civilian university next year and then apply for ROTP from there. An additional year of life experience is not a bad thing at all  :)

good luck to everyone else applying!

Back