• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

Yeah but we are armour crewmen.. you NEVER hear us complain...

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
I used it for 7 months on my tank ...

Agreed, as a stuff sack on the side of a vehicle it is good enough and you might as well use free kit if there is any chance of it getting blown up.  However, I doubt that was the intent of the design.

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
I used it for 7 months on my tank in Asscrackistan and it was quite overstuffed and exposed to the elements on a very regular basis.

Never had a problem. Nor did anyone in my crew.

Come to think of it...never heard one complaint about them in the whole squadron.

Regards

Thats were mine is, and I haven't had any dust, or sand get in there yet.  I started using my small pack in that roll, but it would fill up with dust  ::)

Jammer, you don't find the sholder straps too small.  I have to have the straps maxed out to wear it, and it just keeps slipping off.

dapaterson said:
... only because the engines drown you out...

Quite true.....those darn things are loud!!

Is there anything good about this new ruck at all?

OldSoldier said:
Is there anything good about this new ruck at all?

Well, besides what George said, the fact that I'm not entitled to one (so can stick with my old one) is very good!  ;D

As a rucksack for employment on ruck marches (in Canada, in garrison), the Rucksack is very well designed.  It holds tons, the weight distribution is good, etc.  Now, thrown on a frag vest with plates, and you cannot wear it effectively.  So, as a rucksack for military employment (eg: to wear it), thumbs down from me.

ArmyVern said:
Well, besides what George said, the fact that I'm not entitled to one (so can stick with my old one) is very good!  ;D

Hey Vern, you can have mine, I'll swap with you (I'll try to beat most of the dust out of it).

OldSoldier, it does a good job of collecting dust  ;D so it does something well.

Has anyone parachuted with it yet? I've jumped a few times in the past with a trials pack about as large, and it nearly killed me. I guess I should have read the instructions first....

Midnight Rambler said:
As a rucksack for employment on ruck marches (in Canada, in garrison), the Rucksack is very well designed.  It holds tons, the weight distribution is good, etc.  Now, thrown on a frag vest with plates, and you cannot wear it effectively.  So, as a rucksack for military employment (eg: to wear it), thumbs down from me.

Gee, what we really need is a single project to co-ordinate all these things so the rucksack will be compatible with the PPE soldiers are expected to wear.

Oh.  Wait a minute...

dapaterson said:
Gee, what we really need is a single project to co-ordinate all these things so the rucksack will be compatible with the PPE soldiers are expected to wear.

Oh.  Wait a minute...

THAT would require effort, coordination and consultation. And we all know that is next to impossible. :blotto: ;D

More and more I'm having a hard time justifying carrying a 20 pound (empty) ruck,

Looking at a Kifaruor Lowe Alpine.  Not really a kit guy.  Can someone tell me the equivalent Kifaru or lowe alpine rucksack?(compared to the isued new CF ruck?)

Wonderbread said:
What model?

Pointman with a Scout to take on the back.  The Pointman is my "3rd Line" that sustains me, whether from the LAV or on the back.  The Scout is "2nd Line" and is on my back allowing me to augment my "1st Line" loadout in my rig.

Very Happy with Kifaru's products.  Pricey, but the colour is brown so I'll get civilian use out of it, it's bulletproof and comfy as hell.

Back