• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

A lot of people I know found success with either removing the stays, the waistbelt, or both.

Also, some people have managed to get a smaller (as in shorter) main bag than what was issued to them when they were originally sized and have found it much better.

I find leaving it buried in my basement works for me.

Lil r said:
I didn't mind bending them I am just curious on how long they stay bent and not deform on long marches. I might be a bigger fan of the ruck if they hadn't issued me an XL bag with XS shoulder straps and XS waste buckle

Mine have stayed bent for almost a year since I bent them, during this tiem I have had the bang thrown around on a multitude of exercises, sent them thru airport security and baggage while travelling.  I gotta ask though why do you have an XL bag with XS and XS waste buckle... are you super tall and skinny??  The whole point of the bag is that its supposed to be sized to fit your body otherwise its useless. 

I will give you an example.  I am 5'11 and around 190lbs ...  I have a medium bag, belt and shoulder straps.  Unless your 6 foot 7 then their is no reason you should have an XL bag.  Whoever sized you obviously had no idea what they were doing and you should probably return it and get a new one.

From a light infantry standpoint, this bag is excellent.  Its large enough that you can live out of the bottom and leave the top part for all your mission essential kit.  The compartmental system works awesome as well.  On our last ex I put my sleeping kit in the bottom while I had my small pack with 522 radio and water in the top pouch.  It works wonders as you can simply drop your ruck, open up the top haul out your bag with radio and water and voila you are good to go, try doing that with a 64 pattern ruck and rigging it up comfortably, you will be very uncomfortable.

recceguy said:
and that'll be the rub. The more room and the bigger the bag, the more someone is going to want people to carry.

It's the CoC responsibility to determine what someone should and shouldn't carry.  I personally leave non-mission essential kit up to my soldiers.  If they wanna pack all their snivel kit they better damn well be able to carry it.  This is where training with the ruck on a regular basis comes in handy.  Its also the responsibility of the CoC to set realistic expectations of how fast someone is going to be able to move with a fully loaded ruck and adjust pace of an op accordingly. 

Its a good piece of kit, its just been implemented poorly and some people haven't been sized correctly.  I really like it and when you gotta carry a shit tonne of stuff its an awesome bag and the compartmental system works wonders.  I take it out to the bush with me anytime I go camping civvy side as well.  I hiked 30km with the bag a couple of weekends ago in algonquin park, carrying all my food, fishing gear, a pop-up tent, a folding chair, and all kinds of water, the bag can hold a shit tonne and is still really comfortable.  I would not have been able to do that with an 82 pattern or a 64 pattern. 

Also the reason it is the size it is lies in the fact that during winter and arctics ops you need to carry a lot more stuff.

I have a question regarding the waist belt of this new rucksack. I have been issued it by my unit a few months ago and up and till now it was working great (had only used it in marches w/o FFO), but while on course during an FTX (should go without saying I was wearing FFO  ::) ) this waist belt absolutely destroyed my hips - which seems like a common problem from reading this thread.

Now I don't have the money to purchase any style of ruck (or any new parts for this one) right now so I am currently stuck with what I have :'( , so I am wondering if anyone has found any ways of counteracting the constant rubbing on the hips by the belt (it would be best if I didn't have to remove the belt as I am a huge believer in waist belts but if I need to than so be it)?

I think I should also add that instead of putting all of my sleeping gear in the lower compartment I had placed it up in the top one so I would have the weight higher up on my back.

Honestly... what I ended up doing was just taking it. After years of ruckmarching my hips are scarred on both sides and that area of my hips is chronically bruised.

Something that might work; it's worked to prevent my sandals from cutting my Achilles tendon, is to "paint" some of that liquid bandage onto the area that's usually affected by the waist belt, and it'll provide a mostly solid barrier.

There's lots of options worth trying; like adding extra padding to the belt yourself, or adjusting it in a way so that it doesn't cut you up.

Every person is different, as is their rucksack; it's really a process of trial and error.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try the liquid bandage method and if that fails I will look for something else in order to avoid chronic bruising (I like my hips too much ;D ).

I just got mine lastnight and am going insane trying to put the thing together,
What way does the wire frame go, Does the side on your back the concave side
or the convex side?

What side feels more comfortable?  That should be a good indicator  :D

Smallest portion of the frame is the bottom.  Concave side faces your back. 

Here's some photos/info.  If you can,  ask someone from your unit(with experience,  not another recruit) on how to set up the ruck.

http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=4238f_Ruck82_7.jpg

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32083.0

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=8&gs_id=u&xhr=t&q=82+pattern+rucksack&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.dmQ&biw=1366&bih=667&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=2KEKUayMM8rj0QHXhYHgBg

Jones_24 said:
or the convex side?

If you have a wire frame you probably have the old rucksack.

You'll be taught how to put it together on your basic course (assuming you just joined).  If not, bring it with you to parade night and ask a more experienced member to help out.

Jones_24 said:
or the convex side?

You throw it into the bottom of your closet and find a 64 pattern frame.........

(not trying to steer you wrong but you'll understand, someday)

Back