• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

Bomber

Inactive
Reaction score
Any impressions on the new Ruck, either on the bag itself, or the method it was delivered (taught)

PhilB?

If it doesn't have an external frame, I am not interested in it for military use.Civi side is a different matter.

mover1 said:
has anyone seen the new Barracks Box yet?
Beaten to it by Des, but here ya go

I shipped two of them last month.

They're pelican cases, so really well built.  They've got wheels and a handle a la roller luggage, but they're freakin' huge, almost too big to lift comfortably (or my arms are too short).  I can't recall what the weight limit for UAB used to be, but I don't think it was changed when they got the new boxes, so it was really easy to overload...I had all this space left over!  I know I wasn't the only one in the coy, too.  

ParaMedTech said:

They're pelican cases, so really well built.  They've got wheels and a handle a la roller luggage, but they're freakin' huge, almost too big to lift comfortably (or my arms are too short).  I can't recall what the weight limit for UAB used to be, but I don't think it was changed when they got the new boxes, so it was really easy to overload...I had all this space left over!  I know I wasn't the only one in the coy, too.  

Yup, seen 'em, and they are huge. Haven't gotten them yet.

As far as going back to rucksacks, haven't and probably won't get one in the near future, as I tend to work in more of a mounted role.

But I did get to play with one a bit when Bomber brought one buy to my old office in Ottawa (dunno if I thanked you for that, btw). Can't really make a judgement call on it, but it seemed to be put together well. Need more time with it on my back to decide, though.

I do have some impressions, both good and bad. So lets begin;

Overall I am quite impressed with the ruck. I went into getting the ruck with my normal "fuck CTS their stuff is junk" attitude. I will freely admit that this ruck has swayed me somewhat. The CTS ruck is replacing my gucci 64 pattern. I say gucci because it utilized the NICE frame made by mystery ranch (http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/pack.php?ID=17 ) so I was coming into the issue from using a pretty comfortable ruck. I will go through, in itemized form, my likes and dislikes;

Dislikes:

- The CTS ruck is quite heavy empty, noticeably heavier than my empty 64.
- The lid of the ruck is not completely floating. It is quite long, and can be cinched down at the back. In our "ruck classes" we were told that the packs that have been issued to snipers had completely floating lids. I think that this is a design feature that should be adopted for all rucks to aid in carriage of oddly shaped ungainly items.
- Daisy Chain system. I think this is the biggest issue with the ruck. The daisy chain pouch attach system is IMHO garbage. Pouches do not attach properly, they sag when loaded, and you are limited in your pouch placement.
- Compression Straps. It is a good thing that there are a lot of compression straps on the bag but it makes getting it packed and ready to go kind of an ordeal. There are 4 compression straps per side, plus two straps for the lid, plus three straps to compress the rear of the lid. A LOT of straps.
- Quick release buckles. I find that the quick release feature on the straps is finicky and if not pulled at the correct angle will not release. Additionally you loose your sternum strap when you release it. The ruck comes with additional sternum straps, but I think it is a ridiculous design that you lose an essential piece of the ruck when you release it.

- Compression bag. The compression bag that comes with the ruck is excellent. I can fit everything that I would normally have in a valice in the compression bag with lots of room to spare. It is water proof and compresses into a tiny package.
- Load Carriage. This thing is HUGE. Right now mine is fully loaded with 4 sets of AR combats, 1 set of TW combats, 10 shirts, 10 socks, 10 pairs of underwear, stealth suit, alpha liner, gloves, two pairs of desert boots, smock, and all of this is in addition to my complete compression bag and I still have room to spare. Obviously the amount of kit it holds is both a positive and a negative, and will taking packing discipline not to overload yourself with snivel kit, but the capacity is there.
- Comfort. I loaded the ruck up with as much stuff as I could and went for a few ruck marches. All told the ruck weighed in at 110lbs. I have now gone for 5x 10km marches with it at this weight. No hot spots on my shoulders or hips like a fully loaded 64 would have caused. No numb arms, extremely comfortable! It rides very comfortably and you dont have that "pulling back" feeling you do with an extremely heavy 64.
- Floating shoulder straps. The shoulder straps of the ruck are attached with metal tri glide buckles at the top of the straps. This allows the shoulder straps to be adjusted to allow carrying it while wearing armour and other kit. Excellent feature

Undecided: Because I have not used the ruck that much there are still several things that I am undecided about.

- Internal Frame. The capacity is huge but I can see it being difficult to carry some items that I have had to carry in the past. Mortar/84 rounds, crates of ammo, jerry cans etc. It is no issue to carry this load with a 64 but with an internal frame ruck it could be difficult. I think a floating lid would go a long way to alleviate this.
- Design/comfort. Although the pack is very comfortable when not wearing amour with armour it looses some comfort. The shoulder straps, as stated above, are designed to work with armour but the rest of the pack isnt? The bent aluminum stays are great, but you are bending them to the profile of your back, yet most of the time you will be wearing plate?. The waist belt is designed to sit on your hips, it works quite well. The armour, after a time while marching, pushes the waist belt down of the hips bones and it becomes somewhat uncomfortable.

All in all I like the ruck, in fact I like it enough to leave my 64 at home and take this ruck overseas with me. Hope this helps.

Good review Phil.  I'm still debating over a Kifaru or not....

I was thinking the same thing in preparation for the deployment. Honestly, if you are in a position where you will get issued the ruck then I would wait. I have used an EMR before and I would say that the comfort of the CTS Ruck is close if not equal to the kifaru. The EMR pulls ahead when you consider it is lighter weight (the CTS ruck uses urethane coated cordura I believe. It is good for weather resistance, but adds to the weight), and has PALS instead of useless daisy chain. It falls wayyy behind when you consider the CTS ruck is free, and the Kifaru costs a gold brick and a first born child! 

Really?  How well does that daisy chain system work with different pouches.  One of the attractive features of the Kifaru was the ability to dock a wide variety of different things to the outside.  Will the issue pack accept these ("dock'n'lock" or Molle)?

No the daisy chain system wont accept dock and lock or MOLLE. That being said I am not a big fan of the dock and lock system. It doesnt hold that well, I would stick with MOLLE. I am VERY tempted to get MOLLE put on the pack but it would be cost prohibitive to do.

PhilB said:
No the daisy chain system wont accept dock and lock or MOLLE. That being said I am not a big fan of the dock and lock system. It doesnt hold that well, I would stick with MOLLE. I am VERY tempted to get MOLLE put on the pack but it would be cost prohibitive to do.

I'll take that gold brick you mentioned ;)

8 platoon 3VP was issued the new ruck prior to deploying last winter on TF 1-07. My impressions of it were that it was extremely comfortable to wear, but yes it is quite heavy even when empty. There are internal aluminum stays bent specifically to your spine, so I certainly hope that it would be nice and comfy!  As mentioned by another poster, the daisy chain system is maybe not the best choice, given the options out there. It is also friggin HUGE compared to a 64 pattern ruck. Lots of space for your kit, but it's massive and can be hard to deal with.

My main beef with it was the compression sack system for your sleeping bag... you have to pack your sleeping kit down into the compression sack, and then cram it into the internal valise, not exactly the quickest process in the world. Should you need to pack in a hurry, this system will slow you down, vs jamming everything into your oldschool valise and rucking up. Some of our guys got an 'older' model of the new ruck than I did, and they seemed to have an easier time with it.

So my thoughts on it are mixed...an improvement over an 82 pattern ruck? I suppose so....but it's not as good as it could have been. As far as I am concerned, you are better off buying components and building your own ruck, tailoring it to what you like. A bunch of our guys ended up leaving the new ruck at home and bringing their own anyways, and I wish I had done the same.

That's my .02

See thats funny, the compression bag is one of the features that I really like. We were playing around with them in the lines (note: zero "real life" experience) and we found that packing shit away in a hurry could be accomplished by throwing your sleep system in the hole where the compression sack is supposed to go. Basically ram your sleeping bag in there cinch it down, fastex the cover , and away you go. Big Rudy, having used it in the box do you have any other thoughts on it? I am still debating as to whether I want to bring it or my old 64? How did you find it using it with plates (they took away our training plates before we got the rucks so no experience using it with plates yet)?

ParaMedTech said:

We got a directive NOT to allow them on Service Air.
Too heavy to lift, too bulky to pack, empty weight of it takes up over half of your baggage entitlement (30 out of 70 Lbs). Someone didn't do a lot of thinking when they approved of it.
AS for the new ruck. From what I have seen they look like they will pack in an LD3 or a pallet much easier than the old rucks. Thank goodness I am in a position that I will probably never be issued one!  ;D

Here is a link to a print story that I did for Army News on the new ruck. There was also video stories completed in Hamilton and Shilo but they are not available yet.

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1.asp?id=2375

Armynewsguy

Phil,

You could always get Hobey to take the daisy chain webbing off and replace it with PALS.

BTW, I saw your new Cadpat AR pack, tres chic!

Thanks for the compliment on the med pack. I am going t use it when I get back up to Edmonton off leave. Once I have given it a bit of use I am going to post some reviews on the forums about it. As far as the ruck goes I was talking to Hobey about the possibility of PALS when I was up there. He said that it would be extremely difficult to do without taking the whole pack apart, and that would be cost prohibitive. He suggested going with fixed pouches on the side. I am going to use the ruck overseas, I think, and see how it goes. If it comes to if I may end up getting some pouches attached to it.

PhilB said:
Thanks for the compliment on the med pack. I am going t use it when I get back up to Edmonton off leave. Once I have given it a bit of use I am going to post some reviews on the forums about it. As far as the ruck goes I was talking to Hobey about the possibility of PALS when I was up there. He said that it would be extremely difficult to do without taking the whole pack apart, and that would be cost prohibitive. He suggested going with fixed pouches on the side. I am going to use the ruck overseas, I think, and see how it goes. If it comes to if I may end up getting some pouches attached to it.

didnt I say I'll take that gold brick you were talking about? ;)

mover1 said:
has anyone seen the new Barracks Box yet?
Yes I have. Although they are nice Pelican cases they are completely impractical for UAB. The weight is one issue that has already been mentioned and their size is ridiculous. Far too big and far too bulky for UAB as far as I am concerned. What was wrong with our standard Barrack Boxes? I have travelled with them many many times both as Accompanied and Unaccompanied baggage and not once did I have a problem with them.

Back